Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:46:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 7970 + 5870 should be getting 1000 Mhash/sec,only getting 400? New Install  (Read 2199 times)
ensign_lee (OP)

Activity: 886
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:20:24 AM

Hey guys,

I just repurposed one of my friend's old computers as one of my mining computers, moving my 7970 and 5870 to it. On my old comp, I got about 1000 Mhash/sec, but this new one I only seem to be getting 400?

Here's exactly what I did. If I didn't mention it, I didn't do it:
1) Reformatted and installed Windows 7
2) Downloaded chrome
3) Installed latest ATI 12.6 Catalyst Driers
4) Installed Guiminer
5) Installed Diablominer
6) Installed Java
7) Installed MSI Afterburner and set clocks to 1050 on the 7970 and 900 on the 5870
Cool Started diablominer - it says I'm doing 1000 mhash/sec, but on btcguild where i Have it pointed, it says that I'm only at 450 mhash/sec

...wtf is going on? Did I miss a step? Why am I not hashing with the same rate as I did on the old comp? And why is diablominer saying that I'mhashing at 1000 mhash/sec if I'm not.

Btw, same problem persists when I use guiminer instead. Only difference is that it says I'm doing 900 when I'm actually doing 450.

Is there something else I need to install in order to make these things work? I didn't install any chipset drivers or anything, but windows seemed to have picked it up correctly.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ensign_lee (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:21:42 AM

More info: according to MSI Afterburner, the two GPUs are both at 100% load, and they are heating up like it. It's like the rest of the work is getting lost somehow?

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
MXRider

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 09:03:09 AM

More info: according to MSI Afterburner, the two GPUs are both at 100% load, and they are heating up like it. It's like the rest of the work is getting lost somehow?

Reset worker on BTC Guild.

Let them hash for 30minutes.

With 1GH speed you should have produced ~420 shares in 30minutes.
infamousdutch

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 04:58:58 PM

Yeah, give it time. Remember those are usually ten minute (or more) avgs.

ensign_lee (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 07:56:42 PM

Hmm, so it's Diablominer that has the problem. Says it's submitting 950 mhash/sec, but btcguild only registers 500. This s for various lengths of time.

I can use guiminer and it will do 800 mhash/sec. But then my GPUs are only working at 80% efficiency for whatever reason. Weird... Sad Anybody else run into this problem?

Guess I can go and try to learn cgminer.

Nousplatform Youtube     
50BTC.com

Activity: 575

PPS pool

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 10:19:52 PM

Before you've downloaded cgminer, try to run diablominer for 7970 and guiminer for 5870.

50btc.com - PPS pool, instant payout (Visa, Liberty Reserve, QIWI, Yandex.Money, WebMoney,...), API, fast and responsible support, pay for stale shares.
check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:04:08 PM

Your problem may be one card doesn't like the ATI driver it has to use. You may get better results with two catalyst drivers, if possible. I believe 5000 series cards prefer ATI Stream 2.6 or less

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:32:53 AM

Your problem may be one card doesn't like the ATI driver it has to use. You may get better results with two catalyst drivers, if possible. I believe 5000 series cards prefer ATI Stream 2.6 or less

ATI Stream only goes up to version 2.3. Users of both 2.2 and 2.3 complained about CPU usage bug though. ATI Stream 2.1 is recommended for all 5xxx and other VLIW5 hardware (Up to 6870). AMD APP 2.4 or 2.5 is the lowest compatible SDK for 6930/6950/6970/6990 (VLIW4 hardware), and is slightly slower on lower version cards. AMD APP 2.6/2.7/higher is compatible with 7xxx cards, but takes a big speed hit on 6xxx/5xxx cards.

Also, ATI Stream counts as a different OpenCL platform compared to AMD APP. You can have both installed. This means you can mix VLIW5 hardware with VLIW4 or GCN (7xxx series) and not take a hit on speed as long as you configure your miners correctly, but you can't effectively mix VLIW4 and GCN together without having subpar performance on the older hardware, or being entirely incompatible with the newer hardware because AMD APP 2.4/2.5/2.6/2.7 all share the same install path.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: