Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:31:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Statement about the suspect of recent Bitcoinica hack  (Read 136062 times)
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 01:51:32 PM

it might be interesting for ZT...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=100424.msg1096518#msg1096518

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 01:53:01 PM

The only chance to get any bitcoins back at this point is to hire a hacker.
Meatpile

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 05:44:10 PM

The only chance to get any bitcoins back at this point is to hire a hacker.

Hey that is actually a good idea. Bitcoin will never escape the hackers, so if you can find good hackers (good in terms that they will at least not keep it all for themselves) to steal enough to replenish victims of theft we will finally have the great pyramid of theft.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 10:31:08 PM

Well, both ZT and to some extent Amir (genjix) wanted to make a fast pay back of the funds, which has been prevented by Donald and Patrick. So, if ZT offer to handle this would have not been denied by the this incapable consultancy, the theft would not have happened, because we would have had our money back since ages.
Yes, it's very convenient that Zhou Tong's criminal friend stole a huge sum from the Bitcoinica reserves using a password that only Zhou Tong and a handful of other people knew to try, then converted them using one of Zhou Tong's e-mail accounts, just in time to make Zhou Tong the hero who could've saved everyone's money if only the evil Bitcoin Consultancy cabal had listened to him. Just ignore the bit where the thief converted a chunk of the money to Liberty Dollars and Zhou Tong tried to convert a very similar amount back shortly afterwards. Obviously this is all a concidence and Zhou's simply the unluckiest guy in the world rather than someone who's playing the forum like a fiddle.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 10:33:01 PM

Well, both ZT and to some extent Amir (genjix) wanted to make a fast pay back of the funds, which has been prevented by Donald and Patrick. So, if ZT offer to handle this would have not been denied by the this incapable consultancy, the theft would not have happened, because we would have had our money back since ages.
Yes, it's very convenient that Zhou Tong's criminal friend stole a huge sum from the Bitcoin reserves using a password that only Zhou Tong and a handful of other people knew to try, then converted them using one of Zhou Tong's e-mail accounts, just in time to make Zhou Tong the hero who could've saved everyone's money if only the evil Bitcoin Consultancy cabal had listened to him. Just ignore the bit where the thief converted a chunk of the money to Liberty Dollars and Zhou Tong tried to convert a very similar amount back shortly afterwards. Obviously this is all a concidence and Zhou's simply the unluckiest guy in the world rather than someone who's playing the forum like a fiddle.

finally someone who can think.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 3009

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 10:58:05 PM

Yes, it's very convenient that Zhou Tong's criminal friend stole a huge sum from the Bitcoin reserves using a password that only Zhou Tong and a handful of other people knew to try, then converted them using one of Zhou Tong's e-mail accounts, just in time to make Zhou Tong the hero who could've saved everyone's money if only the evil Bitcoin Consultancy cabal had listened to him. Just ignore the bit where the thief converted a chunk of the money to Liberty Dollars and Zhou Tong tried to convert a very similar amount back shortly afterwards. Obviously this is all a concidence and Zhou's simply the unluckiest guy in the world rather than someone who's playing the forum like a fiddle.

Oh, there are more of us than you realize.   Wink

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!

OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 11:02:04 PM

Oh, there are more of us than you realize.   Wink

..."playing the forum like a fiddle"...that's it how it was!

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 11:46:06 PM

I suspect the majority of people have thought the very same thing from the moment Zhou pulled out the "friend" and "relic collector" excuses but that they pretended to believe those stories in the hope that the funds would be returned if Zhou was allowed to appear to play hero.

If one was especially cynical, one would think that the timing of the Rackspace and MtGox intrusions was extremely convenient for anyone who had grudge against the Intersango guys and wanted to make them look especially incompetent.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 11:53:15 PM

Not so cynical actually. It's a motive. On the other hand, Intersango have proven to be really really incompetent nevertheless, particularly in public relations.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:07:46 AM

Not so cynical actually. It's a motive. On the other hand, Intersango have proven to be really really incompetent nevertheless, particularly in public relations.

I definitely don't think they can be absolved of responsibility.  By their own admission, they discovered vulnerablities in Bitcoinica's platform and were actively seeking to be taken on in the role of security providers.  They got what they wanted and cannot blame anyone else if they failed to perform adequate due diligence before becoming general partners of Bitcoinica LP.  Given its problems and the fact that it was rapidly expanding, Bitcoinica needed a full-time commitment from its operators - as most growing start-ups do - and it didn't get it.

The question still arises, though, of whether the incompetence of Intersango just happened to be discovered by a random outsider or whether Bitcoinica's vulnerabilities were intentionally made known/exploited by someone with inside knowledge.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
w00tcoin

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

w00t!coin

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 06:19:25 PM

The important truths

Truth 1: My $40K LR transaction is legitimate at AurumXchange, associated with a friend in Singapore.
Truth 2: All my assets at Mt. Gox, my wallet balances, my recent Bitcoin transactions and the 5,000 BTC compensation are from legitimate sources.
Truth 3: I had no knowledge of myself being suspicious until the public statement was posted by AurumXchange. There's no possible way of me being involved in the investigation earlier.
Truth 4: Even though there's evidence showing that I'm linked to this hack, I have absolutely no relationship with all previous hacks.
Truth 5: If either AurumXchange or Mt. Gox had communicated their investigation with me earlier, there wouldn't be so many wrong interpretations and assumptions and this thread could have come out much earlier.
Truth 6: I didn't steal the money.

Who is Chen Jianhai?

Chen Jianhai is my previous business associate. He was very familiar with credit card fraud and by my observations he's quite active in financial black markets. He didn't know much technical stuff personally but he has many technical people working with him everyday. He heard about Bitcoin from me last year from a random chat, and I have not communicated with him this year.

Did he admit the wrong-doing?

Surprisingly, yes. He strongly denied at first, but he changed his attitude entirely when I mention that this matter is an international-scale crime, and intelligent netizens from all over the world are actively investigating this matter. And I also told him that the accidentally exposed a bank account number. (He claimed that it was a debit card purchased from black market.)

He used my secret identity because he felt that "it would be impossible to discover the hacker" and "it would be much easier to deny if the suspect account is an insider because you (Zhou Tong) can always distract people from investigating". I have repeatedly said that I have zero tolerance in this matter and I will report all his information, including his real bank account number and address to the police once the official investigation has started.

How did he do it?

He said one of his co-workers was quite active in Chinese Bitcoin community and he had noticed the source code of Bitcoinica being leaked. The reason that he (the technical guy) knew the correlation between the Mt. Gox API key and the LastPass master password remains unknown. I have only communicated this password in-person with Tihan in Chimelong Hotel (Guangzhou) lobby once in February this year and I'm quite sure that no one else has paid any attention to our conversation.

He was unwilling to share more information about the specifics of the hack, but he remembered that he only thought of using my secret identity *after* he was able to withdraw money from Mt. Gox. It was possible that he only withdrew the Bitcoins first, and then a few moments later, the USD.

Also he revealed an important piece of information not mentioned in the public statements: He used the Mt. Gox account of Chris Heaslip, which is a verified account, to deposit some Mt. Gox code and buy Bitcoins with the money, and withdrew all of them. This account's credentials were also in the LastPass account.

In the entire process, he used My Wallet (Blockchain.info) with Tor to access the Bitcoins, and he transferred some Bitcoins to his servers in United States as well. The IP 184.22.31.180 (which was used to access Mt. Gox accounts) is actually zeraba.ddns.info. This is actually a public SSH proxy server for some Chinese users to bypass the national firewall with randomly rotating passwords. He had attempted to access the Mt. Gox accounts with Tor and he failed (note: Mt. Gox bans all Tor exit nodes).

How about the money?

He's a multi-millionaire in China living with a family. I'm not sure how much of his money comes from illegal sources but he has a genuine interest in relic collections and he has made a lot of money from speculating precious collections.

After my warning, he seemed unwilling to return the funds. However, I have threatened him with reporting his information to the police. He later more or less agreed to return the funds to Bitcoinica users, under the condition that Bitcoinica will no longer pursue the case (and Bitcoinica isn't pursuing at the moment) and I keep his other personal information secret.

I'm currently in a moral dilemma because even though I don't have definitive proof that Chen Jianhai is indeed a long-time criminal with an active presence in stolen credit cards and possibly other hacks, it might be worthwhile to pursue with police investigation so that justice can be served. However doing that will significantly delay the claiming process of Bitcoinica and the Chinese police may not be willing or capable to effectively investigate or co-operate in this matter. Otherwise I can always get all the stolen funds from him first. The only evidence in my email account was a credit card fraud case of only a few hundred dollars, which isn't very significant compared to the Bitcoinica hack.

Currently I'm very willing to co-operate with any investigation because this is the only way I can completely prove my innocence. However the non-reponse from Bitcoinica side is indeed worrying. I have gathered some data to estimate the amount that can be recovered from Chen Jianhai:

USD: about $140,000 + $5000 frozen at AurumXchange (under SJ account)
BTC: about 20,000 BTC

There's an unknown amount of funds left in Chris Heaslip's account and I have no way of knowing the exact balance.

It's important to note that the pending $40,000 transaction at AurumXchange is my genuine transaction, so it can be used to offset the USD payment. And also all Bitcoin balances in my Mt. Gox account are mine, and it shouldn't be used to further compensate Bitcoinica customers as well.

However, my previous donation of 5,000 BTC and community donation of 101 BTC were entirely separate from this matter and the claimants can rightfully hold on to the full amount. These funds come from my profits of previous sale at Bitcoinica, and I genuinely feel that Bitcoinica users deserve the early compensation due to them being affected by the inefficiencies of Bitcoinica's operations.

Chen Jianhai was only able to offer the above-mentioned amount due to the cost of his laundering activities and also the significantly lower Bitcoin price when he cashed out. If Bitcoinica or the community wants him to cover the full amount at today's prices, I'm willing to co-operate with any police investigation. But either case, my previous donation should have pretty much covered the difference.

It's up to Bitcoinica to appoint a bank account and also a Bitcoin address so that Chen Jianhai (or possibly I) can return the funds. AurumXchange can either return the $40,000 to me, or send the funds to Bitcoinica's nominated account (in which case another $100,000 will be sent to Bitcoinica from Chen Jianhai or me).

About my situation

I'm not asking him to transfer to me or to anyone else the amount today because it can be illegal to possess such funds until Bitcoinica has provided any written form of authorisation and/or agreement (so that I won't be wronged again because of arranging the return of the stolen funds).

It's important to note that I have been, I am and I will always be standing on the side of Bitcoinica customers, regardless of my position and situation at Bitcoinica. I have absolutely no tolerance of illegal activity of any kind, especially those damaging my personal reputation.

I promise that I have honestly reported the amounts and 100% of those recovered from Chen Jianhai will be returned to Bitcoinica's customers. At the same time, I have to emphasise that Bitcoinica should return the amounts to customers as quickly as possible, so that the company and related people will not get into serious legal troubles. It's my best interest to make Bitcoinica's customers happy so that this issue will not have further impact on my future careers.

I have no problem of either formal police investigation, or returning the funds without police investigation. I would prefer the former so that my name can be cleared, but I guess that some Bitcoinica customers may choose the latter.

Sitenote: I have released an improved design of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/), which I finished during my lunch break, until AurumXchange's statement was posted.

I know who did it.

You may read this and think - this guy is a liar.

But I swear to whatever God you believe in - I know who did it.

>> __ AntMiner S1 for sale. Message me. __ <<
>> __ 9 of 10 left. One sold so far. w00t! __ <<
MelMan2002

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 06:52:38 PM

I know who did it.

That's great!  Now...what are you going to do about it?

19F6veduCZcudwXuWoVosjmzziQz4EhBPS
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 09:30:57 PM

The important truths

I know who did it.

Did..What?
After all that time, I forgot who we are chasing after..
Who stole the funds with the linode hack? Who wrecked Bitcoinica? Who?

Ente
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 09:44:18 PM

I will state publicly that I had 5k btc on bitcoinica and thats basically a majority of my wealth, which was accumulated trough hard work... Because I was having that much faith into bitcoins.

Why in the would you put ~US$38,000 into any kind of uninsured account? The FDIC exists for a reason, and I'm sure similar options exist elsewhere.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:50:01 PM

Evidence or no evidence, it shouldnt matter at all after reading the fact that he did business with a known criminal(Zhou even told us this).
What are your feelings on asking Kevin Mitnick for some advice on your company before going live?

At the same time his website: http://www.sgitcoin.com/ under Disclaimer proudly states they dont encourage criminal activity.
I've never seen a single shred of evidence that SGITCOIN.COM was involved in any illegal activity.

Why anyone still wants to believe anything comine from Zhou is remarkable.
I'm still not seeing any evidence, just lots of people butthurt at Bitcoinica LP who are looking for a scapegoat and using Zhou's eagerness for transparency against him. The most ridiculous party in all of this is AurumXChange who if it weren't for the fact that no one involved in bitcoinica wants an investigation, would be sued up the ass for the little stunt they pulled in that other thread.

1) Discussing an active investigation carries a sentence of up to 10 years

2) Holding funds for more than 7 days without an active investigation is also illegal

3) Publicly discussing the details of their customers is unlawful as a breach of their customer privacy agreement

Even one of the confirming parties told me that they had -no- clue Roberto was going to be posting this stuff publicly as they -know- that is unlawful and potentially illegal. The only reason AurumXchange isn't commenting is because they finally figured out how screwed they are.

This is interesting! I've just connected Kevin Mitnick to the last name on the infamous Mt Gox email dump list:

61020,durandallotd,durandal@7track.org,$1$USm.ejm9$vMrHga51inRwfR6q7OITy1
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 1202

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2015, 05:44:31 PM

Bitcoinica Theft of 40,000 btc in July 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AypRF9q0llU

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 06:21:35 PM

Bitcoinica Theft of 40,000 btc in July 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AypRF9q0llU

Published on Aug 16, 2015

New evidence of suspicious transactions, some linked to Zhou Tong. Check out the data yourself at the following links:
https://www.blockseer.com/g/63dtw2vOqka6

Ente
grahvity

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2015, 06:36:39 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3hzfeb/bitcoinica_theft_of_40k/

COINIGYProfessional Tools For Cryptocurrency Traders ◾️ The Rational Investor’s School For Trader Development
MelMan2002

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 07:22:09 PM

I'm curious - how did he know that mtgox userid 5125 is Zhou Tong?  Is there a list somewhere that matches users to the userids?  I've been trying to track down another thief and I know their gox userid from the leaked data but I haven't seen a list of names.  Did I miss it?

19F6veduCZcudwXuWoVosjmzziQz4EhBPS
Bisha

Activity: 289

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 07:35:01 PM

Thread got deleted from reddit lol

Stratis: Same supply as Ethereum + Masternodes + ICOs + Bitcoin a Core Dev. 90% cheaper than Eth. Do the math.
Pages: « 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: