Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:44:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Statement about the suspect of recent Bitcoinica hack  (Read 136083 times)
virtuallylaw

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:21:13 AM

All,

I know you would all like more frequent updates. I am doing my best to keep people informed while also maintaining confidences and frankly finding time to post.

So it's clear, my first priority is to help get funds distributed back to claimants in a fast, fair and orderly process. Unfortunately, there are some things that need to be addressed and processes followed to make that happen. These things take time and effort, so if you feel that I'm not keeping people in the loop it's probably because I'm spending my time aggressively pursuing the objective stated above.

There will be more news to announce soon. Things are happening and getting resolved. I'm sure everyone here can appreciate that this is a complex matter and it's not going to happen overnight.

Additionally, so there isn't any confusion or misunderstanding. The funds that have been most recently recovered are being moved to a safer form of cold storage. I will post details of the transaction here shortly.

Thank you for your patience,
Patrick

How much do you understand about bitcoin? Are you briefed on how to store it properly? I hope you don't forget the password or something

No offense to you, but if Tihan managed to screw it up by storing bitcoin in a hot wallet, then I am going to be skeptical of anybody who's holding money.

I can't discuss any details for obvious, security reasons. But I do understand your concern.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 03:27:05 AM

All,

I know you would all like more frequent updates. I am doing my best to keep people informed while also maintaining confidences and frankly finding time to post.

So it's clear, my first priority is to help get funds distributed back to claimants in a fast, fair and orderly process. Unfortunately, there are some things that need to be addressed and processes followed to make that happen. These things take time and effort, so if you feel that I'm not keeping people in the loop it's probably because I'm spending my time aggressively pursuing the objective stated above.

There will be more news to announce soon. Things are happening and getting resolved. I'm sure everyone here can appreciate that this is a complex matter and it's not going to happen overnight.

Additionally, so there isn't any confusion or misunderstanding. The funds that have been most recently recovered are being moved to a safer form of cold storage. I will post details of the transaction here shortly.

Thank you for your patience,
Patrick

How much do you understand about bitcoin? Are you briefed on how to store it properly? I hope you don't forget the password or something

No offense to you, but if Tihan managed to screw it up by storing bitcoin in a hot wallet, then I am going to be skeptical of anybody who's holding money.

Kiba, Patrick has been our Director of Legal Affairs and is extremely well versed in Bitcoin.

I can tell you that top community members and security expects helped Patrick secure these funds.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 03:53:09 AM

Kiba, Patrick has been our Director of Legal Affairs and is extremely well versed in Bitcoin.

I can tell you that top community members and security expects helped Patrick secure these funds.

+1 they did some good due diligence and they're likely safe and sound.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
BitBuster

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 11:55:53 AM

It's unlikely that there's going to be an issue regarding him receiving or holding the funds in trust.
I politely disagree.

The National Stolen Property Act makes illegal any of the following acts:

Transportation
    Transmittal
    Transfer
    Receipt
    Possession
    Concealment
    Storage
    Barter
    Sale, or
    Disposal

of any goods, wares, merchandise, securities, money or articles used in counterfeiting valued at $5,000 or more. The courts have held that the goods need not be stolen in the U.S. nor be owned by a U.S. citizen to be subject to the Act.

I note that in his most recent response (which actually tells us nothing new), Patrick has again neglected to tell us if he has obtained a warrant for his actions and what he is permitted to do. As you should all be able to tell, this is a pretty important area of ambiguity that needs clarification. Please answer the question Patrick.

BB.
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 12:22:30 PM

I note that in his most recent response (which actually tells us nothing new), Patrick has again neglected to tell us if he has obtained a warrant for his actions and what he is permitted to do. As you should all be able to tell, this is a pretty important area of ambiguity that needs clarification. Please answer the question Patrick.
Patrick acted upon the request of Bitcoinica's creditors. Since Bitcoinica, to our best knowledge, did not file a police report, nor seems to care whether the funds are returned to the creditors or not, it might be possible to argue that the creditors are the legitimate owners.
BitBuster

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 12:48:10 PM

I'm not talking about permission from Bitcoinica/Intersango, I'm talking about a legal warrant that allows him to do what would otherwise be considered a criminal act. On what legal authority is he operating?

BB.
World

Activity: 743

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 12:53:26 PM

I would like to thank roger from memorydealer, patrick & the exchanges as well as all the others helping in the process and the honnest people trying to gather information here and there.
+1

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 12:56:11 PM

Patrick acted upon the request of Bitcoinica's creditors. Since Bitcoinica, to our best knowledge, did not file a police report, nor seems to care whether the funds are returned to the creditors or not, it might be possible to argue that the creditors are the legitimate owners.
^this - therefor:
I'm not talking about permission from Bitcoinica/Intersango, I'm talking about a legal warrant that allows him to do what would otherwise be considered a criminal act. On what legal authority is he operating?
Funds have been stolen? They have been in some sort of safe deposit at ZT, and now they are on their way to the creditors. All is fine.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 01:02:37 PM

^this - therefor:
...They have been in some sort of safe deposit at ZT, and now they are on their way to the creditors....

How much of the funds?

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 01:05:31 PM

Funds have been stolen? They have been in some sort of safe deposit at ZT, and now they are on their way to the creditors. All is fine.

Not quite.  ZT stole 20k of bitcoins - only 15k have been recovered.  What happened to the other 5k?  Are we giving them to ZT as a thank you gift?

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
defxor

Activity: 530

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 01:10:09 PM

Not quite.  ZT stole 20k of bitcoins - only 15k have been recovered.  What happened to the other 5k?  Are we giving them to ZT as a thank you gift?

40K BTC and 40K USD were taken.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93074

Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 01:30:04 PM

40K BTC and 40K USD were taken.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93074

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 01:32:39 PM

Truth 6: I didn't steal the money.

ZT stole 20k of bitcoins

At least Zhou is providing information. What are you doing other than frothing?

Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 01:41:13 PM

ZT stole 20k of bitcoins

I can do whatever I want - I didn't steal coins from the community.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 01:44:35 PM

ZT stole 20k of bitcoins

I can do whatever I want - I didn't steal coins from the community.

So basically you're saying Zhou Tong can do whatever he wants as well?

BitBuster

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 01:49:11 PM

Typing something as Truth does not make it so. Especially when up against the array of evidence, means and motive to the contrary. Not forgetting Zhou's prime bullshit storytelling.

BB.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 01:51:34 PM

Typing something as Truth does not make it so. Especially when up against the array of evidence, means and motive to the contrary. Not forgetting Zhou's prime bullshit storytelling.

BB.
This applies to you as well. Need I point out again the array of evidence that Zhou did not steal the funds?
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 01:53:40 PM

BB.
This applies to you as well. Need I point out again the array of evidence that Zhou did not steal the funds?

ZT didn't steal the money but his "Buddy"!

Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 01:54:33 PM

BB.

Please do!  All the evidence points to Zhou stealing the funds.  Even Zhou himself validated the evidence by saying it was correct but he was framed.  Zhou never provided any evidence this "friend" even existed. All he did was say it.   Cheesy

You're just one of those people who believes everything they are told.  Sad  Time to go to church, Mr gullible!

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 01:55:22 PM

BB.

ZT didn't steal the money but his "Buddy"!

Can you find the post where Zhou said his buddy stole any funds? I'm having trouble finding that post...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: