Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:03:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Multibit transaction not confirmed. Not according to the block!  (Read 8105 times)
unclemantis (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 09:30:18 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2012, 01:14:17 PM by unclemantis

OK WTF is going on here?

I just started using Multibit yesterday and I transfered 50000000 satoshi to the wallet. It has been 24 hours and the client is not letting me spend it! Says "This transaction is not yet confirmed" even though i am online and synchronized with the network.

What is going on here?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 09:53:03 PM

There are a few things to try:

1) If you have TWO balances in the header, one marked "Available to spend" make sure you have a read of the relevant help. If you go into the menu option "Help | Help Contents" there is a section on "What does 'Available to spend' mean ?". It is a bit different to the Satoshi client hence the help section to explain it.

2) In the 'Transactions' screen, do a right click on the transaction and select the 'Show transaction details...' option. You get a dialog box with the transaction details in. Then click on the 'View at blockchain.info' button.

This opens the transaction in blockchain.info in a browser. You can see if it is confirmed or not. If it is not confirmed according to blockchain.info then it is most likely really not confirmed.
(This can be for various reasons e.g. fee too small/ dust, a previous output that is being consumed is not confirmed, double spend etc).

If it is confirmed i.e. it is in a block then the best thing to do is:

3) You can 'replay the blocks' (which is like a rescan for the Satoshi client) and Multibit will re-download the blocks to sync up your wallet to what is on the blockchain. This will only work if the transaction is actually in a block so do 2) above first to check.
There is a menu option 'Tools | Reset blockchain and transactions' which hopefully should be self explanatory. If not, there is help available - just click on the (?) at the bottom left of the "Reset blockchain and transactions'" screen.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 10:05:14 PM

There are a few things to try:

1) If you have TWO balances in the header, one marked "Available to spend" make sure you have a read of the relevant help. If you go into the menu option "Help | Help Contents" there is a section on "What does 'Available to spend' mean ?". It is a bit different to the Satoshi client hence the help section to explain it.

2) In the 'Transactions' screen, do a right click on the transaction and select the 'Show transaction details...' option. You get a dialog box with the transaction details in. Then click on the 'View at blockchain.info' button.

This opens the transaction in blockchain.info in a browser. You can see if it is confirmed or not. If it is not confirmed according to blockchain.info then it is most likely really not confirmed.
(This can be for various reasons e.g. fee too small/ dust, a previous output that is being consumed is not confirmed, double spend etc).

If it is confirmed i.e. it is in a block then the best thing to do is:

3) You can 'replay the blocks' (which is like a rescan for the Satoshi client) and Multibit will re-download the blocks to sync up your wallet to what is on the blockchain. This will only work if the transaction is actually in a block so do 2) above first to check.
There is a menu option 'Tools | Reset blockchain and transactions' which hopefully should be self explanatory. If not, there is help available - just click on the (?) at the bottom left of the "Reset blockchain and transactions'" screen.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

It might be the fee.

Fees   0.00005 BTC

So what do I do? Do I have to wait until a miner FEELS LIKE confirming?

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 10:17:30 PM

If it is out on the network then yeah you cannot change it.

I think the Satoshidice fee is 0.0005 BTC so all those transactions will be in front of you unfortunately.
(I normally put a fee of 0.001 BTC minimum now to get in front of SD transactions)

Eventually your BTC will mature and you will get put on a block. Frustrating I know.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 10:29:13 PM

If it is out on the network then yeah you cannot change it.

I think the Satoshidice fee is 0.0005 BTC so all those transactions will be in front of you unfortunately.
(I normally put a fee of 0.001 BTC minimum now to get in front of SD transactions)

Eventually your BTC will mature and you will get put on a block. Frustrating I know.

Fees.... Shemmeeeesss.....

That dice game is pretty neat. Gotta be careful though! LOL

unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 07:36:56 AM

Still not yet confirmed!

Is there any way to toss a few coins to the miners AFTER the transaction?

One more thing. I use a different exchange than MtGox. When will more exchanges be available?

jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 07:59:42 AM

I am not sure if there is any way to 'override' a transaction that is already out there - perhaps a miner reading this thread would know better as to what works.

The exchange data I get from a library called XChange. The dev (Tim Molter) has some initial work on Intersango done but it is not ready for production yet. I expect that will be the next available but I cannot say when.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:09:45 AM

I am not sure if there is any way to 'override' a transaction that is already out there - perhaps a miner reading this thread would know better as to what works.

There was a proposal by a bitcoin.org core developer that would do something to the effect of allow any party to add to the fee paid for a transaction.  I don't think it got very far, and definitely isn't implemented today.

The only thing you can do to help a transaction get confirmed is to leave the client running if there is a chance the problem is the transaction just didn't get propagated and that the client would rebroadcast it.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 11:38:01 AM

There was a proposal by a bitcoin.org core developer that would do something to the effect of allow any party to add to the fee paid for a transaction.  I don't think it got very far, and definitely isn't implemented today.

The only thing you can do to help a transaction get confirmed is to leave the client running if there is a chance the problem is the transaction just didn't get propagated and that the client would rebroadcast it.

i am not sure how multibit works. Do I need to keep the multibit client OPEN or is that taken care of with the multibit servers?

jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 11:59:29 AM

Multibit connects directly to the Satoshi nodes to get its blocks. There are no extra servers.

You do not have to keep it open - once your transaction appears in a block the next time you open Multibit it will download the block and update the transaction status.

Stephen's comment is in case your transaction is not yet in the network. I think you have checked it on blockchain.info in which case it has definitely propagated out.

unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 12:03:57 PM

Multibit connects directly to the Satoshi nodes to get its blocks. There are no extra servers.

You do not have to keep it open - once your transaction appears in a block the next time you open Multibit it will download the block and update the transaction status.

Stephen's comment is in case your transaction is not yet in the network. I think you have checked it on blockchain.info in which case it has definitely propagated out.

Well this sucks.

Hey SatoshiDice people! QUIT GAMBLING FOR TWO FUCKING SECONDS! LOL

unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 11:46:20 PM

STILL NOT CONFIRMED! THIS IS NOT COOL!

jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2012, 05:44:42 AM

I just had a look on the blockchain.info list of unconfirmed transactions:
http://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions?show_adv=false

There does not seem to be anything dated 22nd July which I infer from from your OP is when you sent it.
When you look up the transaction id what does it say about the transaction status ?

If you do not mind people knowing about the transaction, perhaps post the transaction id so people can see if there is anything odd with it.

jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2012, 08:13:10 AM
Last edit: July 25, 2012, 09:15:25 AM by jim618

I see on another thread you posted the transaction id.
It is this transaction:
http://blockchain.info/tx-index/13119528/4be629ba38ac7ba8fa882acf7d54ca8b4c5eeec30ae489ba80062009c52a3aea

Please do item (3) on my first reply to your OP - reset blockchain and transactions - to sync your copy of Multibit to the blockchain.

unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 01:10:21 PM

I see on another thread you posted the transaction id.
It is this transaction:
http://blockchain.info/tx-index/13119528/4be629ba38ac7ba8fa882acf7d54ca8b4c5eeec30ae489ba80062009c52a3aea

Please do item (3) on my first reply to your OP - reset blockchain and transactions - to sync your copy of Multibit to the blockchain.

Resetting.

It worked! Big fat green check box!

Thank you!

unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 01:12:28 PM

More more question. Since this is a JAVA app can I use Multibit on a UBUNTU machine? I have the app loaded on a USB drive.

jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2012, 01:44:40 PM

Yes you can but you need to do a little set up.

In the Linux installer the main MultiBit executable is called multibit-exe.jar. Because Windows people are more used to exe files for the Windows installer I wrap this to a file called multibit.exe. You just need to add the multibit-exe.jar to the same directory as the multibit.exe and start it up with:

> java -jar multibit-exe.jar

You can just have a shell file to run that command obviously too.

If you have a config file (multibit.properties) in the same directory it will use that at start up to find the wallets. You are running everything in a 'portable' mode.  You want to have your wallets and blockchain on the USB too so that everything keeps in sync.

That 'java -jar multibit-exe.jar' will also work on Mac OS too.

Edit: if you want it totally portable ie you can run it on absolutely any machine, you can install Java runtime environments on your USB and call that version of Java when you start it up. For most of the time that is overkill though.

unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 05:21:40 PM

Yes you can but you need to do a little set up.

In the Linux installer the main MultiBit executable is called multibit-exe.jar. Because Windows people are more used to exe files for the Windows installer I wrap this to a file called multibit.exe. You just need to add the multibit-exe.jar to the same directory as the multibit.exe and start it up with:

> java -jar multibit-exe.jar

You can just have a shell file to run that command obviously too.

If you have a config file (multibit.properties) in the same directory it will use that at start up to find the wallets. You are running everything in a 'portable' mode.  You want to have your wallets and blockchain on the USB too so that everything keeps in sync.

That 'java -jar multibit-exe.jar' will also work on Mac OS too.

Edit: if you want it totally portable ie you can run it on absolutely any machine, you can install Java runtime environments on your USB and call that version of Java when you start it up. For most of the time that is overkill though.

Assuming every computer i connect to has JRE already installed on the host. What if they don't? Can you point me in the direction of a portable JRE?

jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2012, 05:40:10 PM

This tutorial looks ok:
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/42544-putting-java-on-your-flash-drive/

The JRE is system specific so you would need one for Windows and one for Linux. Macs either have one installed or will download one automatically so you do not need to worry about those. 

unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 07:20:46 PM

This tutorial looks ok:
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/42544-putting-java-on-your-flash-drive/

The JRE is system specific so you would need one for Windows and one for Linux. Macs either have one installed or will download one automatically so you do not need to worry about those. 

Thanks for the help!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: