Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:57:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is not recommended to use the same address twice? And is there solution?  (Read 2920 times)
GreenStox (OP)

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 02:18:08 PM

Not sure if trolling, but just in case...

Well its inconvenient to manage 2000 addresses dont you think? Unless you design a script of somekind to manage it for you, but thats also complicating the thing more.
What do you mean by "manage" them? You create an address, tell your customer or whoever to send money to it, check that you've received said money, and then forget about it. I myself have hundreds of addresses (I don't even know the exact number, nor do I need to) and I haven't been inconvenienced by it.

It would be much simpler if the bitcoin developers would fix this issue once and for all, and then everybody can use 1 address forever, or if they want to account for their cash and organize it, then use addresses for categories of income/expenditure (faucet address, sales address, income address, etc).
Everyone can do that; it's just not a good idea.

Imagine being born now and by the time the kid gets to age 13 or whatever when he is able to use bitcoin,by the time he gets 70, he would have wasted millions of addresses.
I have a hard time imagining that, since generating a million addresses in 57 years would mean 48 new addresses per day. Who do you know who makes that many transactions per day? And what's the problem with having a million addresses in the first place?

And the addresses numbers is also limited, so it would help people not to waste addresses.
I don't think the word "limit" means what you think it means.

Nope, according to bitcoin wiki (updated feb 1 2015)

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Address_reuse

Known attacks
Same K in multiple signatures, see Recovering Bitcoin private keys using weak signatures from the blockchain.
Timing sidechannel

Now we can disregard the same K attack, because probably Armory,Electrum, Latest Core, Multibit and others have updated their signing mechanism.

But the Timing channel attack is possible, + who knows how many more exploits are available that the developers dont know about.

I think these issues need to be fixed asap.
A timing sidechannel attack requires that the attacker have access to your computer's memory, in which case you're generally already screwed.

Ok, thanks for clarification, I got what I needed .

I think you've all done a great job of explaining things to this troll.  At this point he just keeps repeating himself and ignoring anything any of you say.  Perhaps it's time to abandon this thread and stop feeding the troll.  He's managed to make it on to my ignore list.

Where are your manners man? I wasnt trolling, I was very concerned about the vulnerabilities that could arise in this case, given that bitcoin is new and there could be many bugs that have not been discussed yet, or observed yet.

In either case i got what i was looking for, so i close the thread before anyone else calls me a "troll" because he has manners like a 5 year old. Smiley

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM