Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:50:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Multibit HD 0.06Beta and Trezor  (Read 2217 times)
jackbox (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 10:42:22 AM

If a Trezor has two or more accounts (not addresses) can Multibit access all the accounts or only the first one?

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 04:44:39 PM

Only the first one.

We state in the 'Wallet Dashboard' wallet capabilities this limitation.

It is unfortunately a limitation of how we get our data from the Bitcoin Core nodes.
We have a bloom filter where we add in the 150 or so private keys that are in the wallet (keys are pregenerated and there is a lookahead). This number increases as more addresses are requested.

Were we to add account support we would also then have to look ahead both 'down the accounts' and 'across the accounts'. We reckon it would be too slow to be usable.

It is most likely a limitation for the foreseeable future.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
jackbox (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 04:48:13 PM

Only the first one.

We state in the 'Wallet Dashboard' wallet capabilities this limitation.

It is unfortunately a limitation of how we get our data from the Bitcoin Core nodes.
We have a bloom filter where we add in the 150 or so private keys that are in the wallet (keys are pregenerated and there is a lookahead). This number increases as more addresses are requested.

Were we to add account support we would also then have to look ahead both 'down the accounts' and 'across the accounts'. We reckon it would be too slow to be usable.

It is most likely a limitation for the foreseeable future.

Wouldn't a solution be just to ask the user which account they want to use when they unlock their Trezor?

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 04:54:24 PM

Nope.

We don't know the creation date of the HD wallet so have to sync all the blocks from the first creation date of HD wallets.
This takes a long time (minutes) and users would have that delay every time they switched accounts. This is not acceptable to users.

With one account the hit is taken once. Still not great but bearable.
(And for a newly created Trezor wallet we know the creation date as we just made it so there are a few optimisations we can make).

The sync would then only be applied on one account, so we would have to keep track of the 'last sync date' for every tip of every account.

It just gets too complicated to do reliably.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
jackbox (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 05:16:03 PM

Nope.

We don't know the creation date of the HD wallet so have to sync all the blocks from the first creation date of HD wallets.
This takes a long time (minutes) and users would have that delay every time they switched accounts. This is not acceptable to users.

With one account the hit is taken once. Still not great but bearable.
(And for a newly created Trezor wallet we know the creation date as we just made it so there are a few optimisations we can make).

The sync would then only be applied on one account, so we would have to keep track of the 'last sync date' for every tip of every account.

It just gets too complicated to do reliably.

Okay, got it. You are doing a better job of syncing the wallet than the BWALLET folks on their own website. There is one tx I have where they do not recognize the change address as mine and the balance on their website is not correct (the website shows the btc sent to the change address as spent). But in Multibit HD for this tx the change address is recognized correctly and the balance is correct. So to get the correct balance I need to use Multibit HD now with the BWALLET (Trezor clone). I was considering creating another account to move the funds so the balance showed correct on their website also, but I will just continue to use Multibit HD for using this device. Thanks again.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: