Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:34:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Official Litecoin shared domain litecoin.net  (Read 3440 times)
coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 03:54:09 AM
Last edit: July 27, 2012, 06:17:08 PM by coblee

I'm announcing that I'm opening up litecoin.net to be used as a shared domain. I think it is beneficial to group all useful Litecoin services/tools under one domain.

This is not a land grab. If you are not providing a useful service or if you currently don't have the service ready yet, I will not approve the subdomain. If it's a work-in-progress, do PM me and I will let you know.
This is first come first served. For example, if you are the first one to provide a mining calculator at calc.litecoin.net, the next mining calculator (even if it's a much better one) will need to use a subdomain that's probably not as easy to remember.

There are 2 special domains (possibly more) that will not be first come first served: forum.litecoin.net and wiki.litecoin.net
Since these will be seen as the "official" forum and wiki, I would need to be sure that I can trust the operators. So if you are interested in operating the "official" forum or wiki, send me a PM.

A few requirements
- should be a Litecoin related site... duh!
- should be a free service/tool useful to the Litecoin community. businesses should just get their own domain.
- should not refer to Litecoin as LiteCoin <- this is my pet peeve Smiley
- should not have other altcoin related services/tools because I am not endorsing any other alt chains. Though Bitcoin is ok.
- wallets, exchanges, and pools are not allowed. you should get your own domain. I'm not in a position to deem any site as an official wallet, pool, or exchange.
- basically any site that holds users' litecoins are disallowed mainly due to me not wanting to be held responsible if users lose their litecoins for any reason.
- use a subdomain name that sort of describes your site. for example, I'm not going to approve awesome.litecoin.net no matter how awesome your site is.
- do not claim that your site is the "official" site unless you ok'd it with me.
- do not have excessive ads. I realized that ads are useful to help pay for hosting and such, but if your site is filled with ugly flashing ads, I will not approve it.

So if you have a service/tool that you would like to serve up at *.litecoin.net, sign up here: http://freedns.afraid.org/subdomain/edit.php?edit_domain_id=813116

Here are some I have in mind:

explorer.litecoin.net - block explorer (Someguy123 plans to move abe.liteco.in over)
address.litecoin.net - address tools (Greedi plans to move address.liteco.in over)
calc.litecoin.net - mining calculator
source.litecoin.net - already forwards to GitHub
download.litecoin.net - already forwards to GitHub downloads page
charts.litecoin.net - price, hashrate, pools charts
watch.litecoin.net - something similar to bitcoinwatch.com
faucet.litecoin.net - litecoin faucet
p2pool.litecoin.net - p2pool node
electrum.litecoin.net - Electrum server

Please feel free to discuss projects you have in mind.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
someguy123

Activity: 336
Merit: 254

CEO of Privex Inc. (www.privex.io)

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 04:00:02 AM
Last edit: July 27, 2012, 09:56:25 PM by someguy123

Thanks coblee.

Note for liteco.in users, this is where things are being migrated to:
abe.liteco.in -> explorer.litecoin.net
liteco.in -> forum.litecoin.net
blockchain.liteco.in -> blockchain.litecoin.net

coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 04:09:23 AM

Thanks coblee.

Note for liteco.in users, this is where things are being migrated to:
abe.liteco.in -> explorer.litecoin.net
liteco.in -> forum.litecoin.net
blockchain.liteco.in -> blockchain.litecoin.net

hold off on the forum.litecoin.net
I haven't decided what to do with that yet.

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 03:26:14 PM

Please add the Litecoin's testnet block explorer to the list of services. This is crucial to allow normal software development. By "normal" I mean that the developers aren't at the same time the owners of whatever they are developing. Currently it seems like the whole Litecoin development community consists of one-person shops.

Also, please run the testnet litecoind at all times. It doesn't have to mine, it is sufficient that it just sits there logged in to the IRC channel and is ready to serve the testnet blockchain. The difficulty on testnet is low enough that anyone who really needs to do some testing can CPU mine the required block on a spare computer.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 05:18:44 PM

Sounds great!

How about a projects domain like ours?

LiteBit
Tittiez

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 05:30:05 PM

I love it, the more litecoin services the better.
coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 06:19:33 PM

I updated the OP with a requirement I forgot to mention:
- should be a free service/tool useful to the Litecoin community. businesses should just get their own domain.

litecoin.net is shared so that someone creating simple tool like a mining calculator would not have to pay for a their own domain. It is not meant for businesses. Businesses should get their own domain.

coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 06:20:02 PM

Please add the Litecoin's testnet block explorer to the list of services. This is crucial to allow normal software development. By "normal" I mean that the developers aren't at the same time the owners of whatever they are developing. Currently it seems like the whole Litecoin development community consists of one-person shops.

Also, please run the testnet litecoind at all times. It doesn't have to mine, it is sufficient that it just sits there logged in to the IRC channel and is ready to serve the testnet blockchain. The difficulty on testnet is low enough that anyone who really needs to do some testing can CPU mine the required block on a spare computer.

Yeah, I will see if we can keep a testnet running.

Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 06:23:09 PM

I have a dedicated node running litecoind on testnet. I can run a abe instance from there as well for testnet if needed.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 06:27:26 PM

I have a dedicated node running litecoind on testnet. I can run a abe instance from there as well for testnet if needed.

Sure. I think we should keep the explorer for mainnet and testnet separate: explorer.litecoin.net and testnet.litecoin.net
If you get that up and running, please request for the subdomain testnet.litecoin.net

burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 06:44:45 PM

I have a decent calc up here:

http://ltc.kattare.com/calc.php

Planning on expanding it to show weekly/monthly numbers before too long.  I also want to take into account the other exchanges rates.

I already have network hash rates and difficulty estimates up on another page, would be easy to move those over as well.

Is that in-line with what you are looking for on calc.litecoin.net?

coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 08:16:14 PM

Planning on expanding it to show weekly/monthly numbers before too long.  I also want to take into account the other exchanges rates.

I already have network hash rates and difficulty estimates up on another page, would be easy to move those over as well.

Looks good, but it should be a dedicated calculator site and not part of your pool site.

AndyRossy

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 09:43:14 PM

maybe have dev.litecoin.net for stuff like testnet, git repos, etc, then have

explorer.dev.litecoin.net runs on testnet and *.dev.litecoin.net as dev versions of *.litecoin.net.
coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 10:10:57 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2012, 10:23:09 PM by coblee

There are a few parties interested in operating forum.litecoin.net
I figure this is a good thread for those people to make their claim for why I should pick them.

So if you are interested, post a replay with this information:
1) Who you are: Name, Age, Occupation
2) What have you previously done with Litecoin or Bitcoin
3) Why can you be trusted
4) Where's your forum if it's running right now
5) What forum software are you using and why did you choose that over others
6) How is your forum hosted
7) What are your backup plans

Simran

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 10:16:03 PM

1) Who you are: Name, Age, Occupation: Simran Singh, 15, Student.
2) What have you previously done with Litecoin or Bitcoin: Android LTC Miner, and working on an Android LTC Wallet.
3) Why can you be trusted: Because I have no malicious intentions towards anything.
4) Where's your forum if it's running right now: http://LitecoinForums.org
5) What forum software are you using and why did you choose that over others: IPB, because I feel most comfortable with it.
6) How is your forum hosted: Shared hosting.
7) What are your backup plans: Creating a backend forum that is synced with the current one.

*Image Removed*
Donate LTC: LRgbgTa3XNQSEUhnwC6Ye2vjiCV2CNRpib
Donate BTC: 1AGP6xPTRvsAVhsRsBX13NUH6p6LJjyeiA
burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 11:52:47 PM
Last edit: July 28, 2012, 12:21:04 AM by burnside

Planning on expanding it to show weekly/monthly numbers before too long.  I also want to take into account the other exchanges rates.

Looks good, but it should be a dedicated calculator site and not part of your pool site.

Sounds good.  I could put domain detection in there easy enough.  When it detects the domain as calc.litecoin.net I'd serve up a different header/footer.  If you can setup calc.litecoin.net as a cname pointed at ltc.kattare.com, I could do the header/footer work tonight or tomorrow night.

Just a thought, it might even make sense to have a litecoin.net header/footer template for everyone to use so it looks like a more homogeneous network.

Edit - really quick and dirty example of how the header would change by domain: http://bitcoin.kattare.com/calc.php.  Let me know when the cname is in place and I'll plug the vhost configs into the server.
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 11:57:45 PM

There are a few parties interested in operating forum.litecoin.net
I figure this is a good thread for those people to make their claim for why I should pick them.

Are there any other positions available ?

I have always seen myself as an Ambassador of sorts. I have great people skills as well as patience.

coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 12:25:19 AM

Planning on expanding it to show weekly/monthly numbers before too long.  I also want to take into account the other exchanges rates.

Sounds good.  I could put domain detection in there easy enough.  When it detects the domain as calc.litecoin.net I'd serve up a different header/footer.  If you can setup calc.litecoin.net as a cname pointed at ltc.kattare.com, I could do the header/footer work tonight or tomorrow night.

Just a thought, it might even make sense to have a litecoin.net header/footer template for everyone to use so it looks like a more homogeneous network.

Edit - really quick and dirty example of how the header would change by domain: http://bitcoin.kattare.com/calc.php.  Let me know when the cname is in place and I'll plug the vhost configs into the server.

Please request a subdomain yourself. See OP.

bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 12:35:30 AM

I would like to request troll.litecoin.net

Along with adding myself to the TOP of the list, I would use it as a space to publicly expose and humiliate persistent Litecoin Trolls.

If you feel this is a service that would add a certain 'panache' to litecoin.net, please feel free to contact me.

coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 12:51:02 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2012, 01:15:47 AM by coblee

I would like to request troll.litecoin.net

Along with adding myself to the TOP of the list, I would use it as a space to publicly expose and humiliate persistent Litecoin Trolls.

If you feel this is a service that would add a certain 'panache' to litecoin.net, please feel free to contact me.

The service has to be useful. If you really have a useful service, apply for the subdomain with afraid.org with the link in the OP.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: