Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:58:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: To MtGox, Intersango, etc : This would make your APIs much more secure  (Read 1010 times)
Jason Ling (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 10:27:23 AM

Please allow me to restrict the IP addresses that API calls for particular keys are allowed to originate from.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 10:35:09 AM

Please allow me to restrict the IP addresses that API calls for particular keys are allowed to originate from.

+1

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
shtylman

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 10:39:03 AM

Do you believe you or someone else has successfully been compromised by having their API accessed from an IP which was not theirs? If you only access from a given IP, why not keep the API key only on that box and not floating around in other places?

To be clear, I am not against this feature but do want to flush out the use case a bit more. Sometimes things that seem like security really just add more headache and little security.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 11:16:22 AM

Sometimes things that seem like security really just add more headache and little security.
+1

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 09:32:08 PM

that is why they have api keys so that you can remove the key and access stops from the places you use that key
BitBuster

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 02:48:06 PM

that is why they have api keys so that you can remove the key and access stops from the places you use that key
Yes, but if a key has been compromised, its more preferable that the hacker must break into your server as well to use it, rather than being able to use it from anywhere.

At the very least this should be an option and isn't difficult to implement.

BB.
Jason Ling (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 03:03:57 PM

Do you believe you or someone else has successfully been compromised by having their API accessed from an IP which was not theirs? If you only access from a given IP, why not keep the API key only on that box and not floating around in other places?

To be clear, I am not against this feature but do want to flush out the use case a bit more. Sometimes things that seem like security really just add more headache and little security.

It really is simply security in depth.

Now by stealing my API keys, an attacker has pretty much full access to my account and all funds in it.

If IP address is restricted, this way he needs to gain control of the IP address as well.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 03:08:15 PM

This is implemented in more mature sites, like Perfect Money and Liberty Reserve.
Have they experienced any major hacks?  I don't know.   I think it's easier to to launch a warhead then it is to log in to liberty reserve.

We need current and future bitcoin business to mature.

It is also like fraud at fiat banks and credit card companies.  They expect a certain amount of fraud and write it off and until the pain of writing it off become greater then increasing the security practices.

As long as they are making money and clients use they services there will be little change.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 03:10:21 PM

Also, I've discovered a potential security issue with Mt. Gox's Google Auth OTP.  I alerted support last week.  I'm waiting to see if they respond.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: