Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:39:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I have to open the bitcoin client to receive BTC from others?  (Read 6035 times)
shinshin (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:45:49 AM

For security, I want to encrypt my wallet.dat, delete the plaint text one, and store the encrypted one in safe place. As a result, I can't keep the client running with this wallet. I wanna know, can I still receive BTC with the address of the wallet?

Sorry for my bad English.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:48:48 AM

No, you can receive bitcoins at your address any time. Your client does not need to be online. Once you return online, you will see the transactions appear after a few minutes.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:48:55 AM

you will receive any Bitcoin sent to you - in the Blockchain.

but it won't be in your wallet (i.e., it won't be spendable) until you run your client and download the Blockchain into it.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:50:11 AM

Yes. Transactions to the address are broadcast to the network and finally embedded in the block chain. Once you get online with your wallet in the future, you will download the blocks and receive any Bitcoins sent to the relevant addresses.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 06:03:49 AM

It isn't quite right to say that you receive them when you download the block the tx was recorded in. It's more like that's when you find out that the coins are now in one of the addresses that you control. But the answer is the same, you don't need to be online when the coins are sent.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
shinshin (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:08:37 AM

Thank you very much for all the replies above!

Does that mean that even if I don't get online for many years, I still can receive the BTC sent to me years ago when I get online.
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:24:06 AM

Does that mean that even if I don't get online for many years, I still can receive the BTC sent to me years ago when I get online.

Yes.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
FreeMoney
Legendary

Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 06:27:38 AM

Absolutely. This means that you can create a new wallet with new addresses while offline, record an address, encrypt the wallet, delete the original, put it in storage, and pay to it whenever you want and essentially be beaming money into your super secure bitcoin savings account.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
shinshin (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:38:27 AM

Absolutely. This means that you can create a new wallet with new addresses while offline, record an address, encrypt the wallet, delete the original, put it in storage, and pay to it whenever you want and essentially be beaming money into your super secure bitcoin savings account.

Got it! Thanks for your suggestion. Wink
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:40:15 PM

Got it! Thanks for your suggestion. Wink

BUT [caveat...]

computers and software being what they are (and what they've been in the past), "years" is a slippery concept.

if that's your plan, you'll want to keep an eye on the Bitcoin development process - it's possible that something could transpire which would render a very old 'wallet.dat' incompatible with a new version of the client, without a complicated update process.  a major change in encryption, for example.  or something entirely unforeseen.

don't just ignore it all for five or ten years, and expect it to work without some effort...
shady financier

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

etcetera

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:33:51 PM

but it won't be in your wallet (i.e., it won't be spendable) until you run your client and download the Blockchain into it.

Really? So if you have a backup of a wallet.dat, and restore it to another installation of the client elsewhere, perhaps even another version of the client, it won't work?

1G8AUgSTAw8hfatNnDHuYEqBAUzC3qvAAL

Bitcoin news: http://thebitcoinsun.com/

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:37:05 PM

Really? So if you have a backup of a wallet.dat, and restore it to another installation of the client elsewhere, perhaps even another version of the client, it won't work?

It should, not sure what he was getting at.

Maybe, it has to be linked ot an up to date blockchain?

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 09:18:32 PM

If i am missing like 100 blocks and i open bitcoin client, send a transaction, then close it

is it already into the blockchain my transaction? or how long do i need to wait. assuming bitcion client opened and perhaps didn't establish any connections or that little thing didnt turn the wheel on bottom before i closed it.

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 09:34:55 PM

Well, you must be sure that the client sent that transaction to some other nodes...  If it literally connected to 0 nodes and you close it then of course no, the transaction was not sent, obviously

dree12
Legendary

Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 06:04:17 AM

It should, not sure what he was getting at.

Maybe, it has to be linked ot an up to date blockchain?
Yes, he was talking about how the money is not yet in the wallet (as in a available to spend) until the blockchain has been downloaded. Do not confuse wallet with wallet.dat, which is a misnomer: that file contains the keys to the wallet, i.e. the things needed to spend coins in the wallet, not the wallet.
TimeFlies

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 06:07:13 AM

No, you do not. However, the BTC will not post until all of the data is sync'd
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 09:06:22 PM

Which, I found out the hard way:  Depending on your comp, client, and amount of time since last downloading the blockchain, can take a FRUSTRATINGLY looooong time to sync  Angry  Grin

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 01:45:30 AM

Which, I found out the hard way:  Depending on your comp, client, and amount of time since last downloading the blockchain, can take a FRUSTRATINGLY looooong time to sync  Angry  Grin

then stick to blockchain wallet

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 05:35:13 PM

Use the Multibit client, problem solved

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: