Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:33:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-07-19 cnet.com - As cash runs low, WikiLeaks finds way to accept plastic ag  (Read 1353 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 10:29:19 PM

As cash runs low, WikiLeaks finds way to accept plastic again

Don Reisinger
2012-07-19

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57475485-92/as-cash-runs-low-wikileaks-finds-way-to-accept-plastic-again/

Following a concerted effort to starve Wikileaks of cash by cutting off its sources of funding, the controversial publisher of government and corporate secrets has found a way to once again accept donations via credit cards.

The organization says that its income, which has been generated through alternative funding options, like peer-to-peer currency Bitcoin and Moneygram, currently stands at "just 21 percent of operating costs."

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 01:42:46 AM

Sounds like they've been spending donated bitcoins to fight to get old methods back.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 03:16:08 AM

So, is anyone starting a pool on how long 'til they get shut down again? Presumably according to the article, shutting them down would now be a breach of contract.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 08:08:27 AM

Sounds like they've been spending donated bitcoins to fight to get old methods back.
The article said that ANOTHER organization set up the new system/fund FOR them.

Even if they had it's their choice and not necessarily a bad investment given their lack of funds.

The thing to take away here is that BTC managed to give a pretty decent chunk... unless it was all moneygram of course...

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 06:50:21 PM

"We are forced to temporarily suspend publishing whilst we secure our economic survival,"

"...We cannot allow giant U.S. finance companies to decide how the whole world votes with its pocket. Our battles are costly."

Spending donations to pay yourself while you find more donations is certainly a strategy. And it is their choice in a sense as to how to spend already donated money. But it is everyone else's choice to keep giving.

imho they'd raise a hell of a lot more by sticking with a payment method that doesn't require the permission/consent of their enemies and showing that they can actually do real work with funds from that source.

He's obviously looking for a fight about money instead of a solution about money.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:26:07 PM

imho they'd raise a hell of a lot more by sticking with a payment method that doesn't require the permission/consent of their enemies and showing that they can actually do real work with funds from that source.

Really?  Huh

Bitcoin also need the consent from its enemies to keep money flowing into the system until we get big enough.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 03:36:11 AM

Really?  Huh

Bitcoin also need the consent from its enemies to keep money flowing into the system until we get big enough.

Meh, it helps for sure, but I don't use it. I don't mean I don't use 'the system' at all, but they can't tell that I use bitcoin without considerable digging. And if they did cut me off it would cost maybe 5% and some headache at most to manage. Especially an org like wikileaks could pay some expenses in coin and could OTC for the rest.

I run a site, admittedly not a huge site, with all income earned and expenses paid in coin. We could scale up a lot without that changing.

I'm not saying wikileaks could do that, but they don't seem to even be interested in being financially independent. Regardless of their funding method 20 anonymous phones for $5000 sounds like something government would do. Is it so hard to have 50 volunteers mail multiple burners to multiple places, use some and randomly give some away? I'm obviously judging from way outside so I could be way off base. But I think they have big serious organization syndrome. I mean they stopped doing the one thing that they are about to focus on getting funds and they're just burning up funds during that time.

They want to have a fight about being included in the old system. It's way stronger to say "Ok, have your shit system we can manage without you". That's what will bring down the corrupt system, not finding a loophole that you can use for 3 months or something. Also, can they even keep the funds safe?

Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 09:49:36 AM

I mean they stopped doing the one thing that they are about to focus on getting funds and they're just burning up funds during that time.
While I agree going BTC only would be a strong statement and doable by down-sizing somewhat they DID just release the "Syrian files" right?

So it's not like they are wasting people's donations exactly. Wikileaks is alive and well as an organization.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 04:34:09 AM

I mean they stopped doing the one thing that they are about to focus on getting funds and they're just burning up funds during that time.
While I agree going BTC only would be a strong statement and doable by down-sizing somewhat they DID just release the "Syrian files" right?

So it's not like they are wasting people's donations exactly. Wikileaks is alive and well as an organization.

i didn't know about that, looking at it now. I was just going by what the article said which I believe was to quote wikileaks about them ceasing publishing.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: