Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:17:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining server room (cooling development help)  (Read 22790 times)
pwnyboy

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 05:57:35 PM

Now why the hell would you make a statement like that ?

You're coming to a forum to ask for advice on how to cool this room of yours.  A forum!  Not to an engineer, not even to an HVAC tech, but a forum, where the overwhelming majority of the users are not HVAC design engineers.  At best, you might find someone familiar with the laws of physics (see above) or someone who's actually designed and built datacenters for a living (I happen to fall into that category).

you don't know me or what I am capable of or not .. or the budget in which im doing this so why would you even assume im in over my head ?

I've seen this time and again in the web hosting business.  The people who run to forums for advice _first_ are the ones who _do not_ have a budget to talk to an engineer, and _are indeed_ over their head.

I do have a cooling solution one that will work just fine .. what I'm asking for is Idea's on possible alternatives that may be cheaper and more cost effective

You have yet to define what "work just fine" means exactly.  If that means 5 degrees (Celsius) above outside air temp, not likely.  If that means 20 degrees above outside air temp, you might have a shot.  

I do not have to worry about the "FED's" kicking in my door this has already been thought of and both the power company and the local Law Enforcement have been notified of the goings on and are welcome to come out and inspect provided they have a warrant for entry as we nixed there "Reasonable probable grounds" of entry by notifying them of what was transpiring so they can not unlawfully enter without warrant now  

That's ridiculous.  All you've done is put yourself on their radar.  Please do report back to us how your project goes, and at what point the feds do show up.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
w128

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 06:05:27 PM

We have a source for complete single slot pcie machines in the amount of 50 machines a skid at a cost of 20 each then add 133 plus tax only on 133 of 5% for the gpu add another 35 for a psu that powers the gpu and board sufficiently for 30 that's 9600 just for the machines that's cheaper by far then what 90% of you even pay for a 5870

Be careful with those pallets.

My employer would auction off as they fell of maintenance, over a thousand Dell Optiplex machines every year.

It was common practice for the technicians to rip out the RAM and sometimes CPUs prior to sending them off. Old DDR and DDR2 can be very expensive to procure these days.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 06:06:02 PM

It really depends on your location (latitude). If you are north of 40N, highest ambient temperature is probably 40C in the summer, CPU & GPUs can work up to 90~100C,  you don't even need a room, a true open air operation will be the best:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLX5-9eUfY97PMipkLQXn0MgXyn8WHQ9MJUpFnGYizpgXSIroVCA
Alaska anyone?
acamus

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 06:11:19 PM

wanna try and screw this guy? upvote. http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/hjylq/got_an_ati_video_card_start_generating_bitcoins/
bobR

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 06:13:58 PM

I do not have to worry about the "FED's" kicking in my door this has already been thought of and both the power company and the local Law Enforcement have been notified of the goings on and are welcome to come out and inspect provided they have a warrant for entry as we nixed there "Reasonable probable grounds" of entry by notifying them of what was transpiring so they can not unlawfully enter without warrant now 

That's ridiculous.  All you've done is put yourself on their radar.  Please do report back to us how your project goes, and at what point the feds do show up.

pwnyboy can you at least read before sticking your foot in your mouth

Would be a nice trick for "The Fed's" to bag a CANADIAN
warweed (OP)

Activity: 130

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 06:20:27 PM

Yup again I am Canadian I am aware of the busts made in Canada for suspected grow op operations I also have experience with dealing with the law including successfully sueing I have done my due dillidgance and have made sure to follow all regulations and sure you know what it is a shotty setup but it is a to code setup I'm not running to the forums for help I'm asking for advice qnd suggestions and even previous experiences

My calculated load average is 96 amps at 120 volts plus cooling and lastly

Those machines I got cheap were all inspected prior to purchase they all have procs psu's and ram 80gig Sata drives and a single gig of ram each the pcu cooler had to be modded to accept the gpu as it was in the way and the case top would not clear hence open air
warweed (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 06:28:38 PM

I'm not denying that it is a shit show I'm simply not it is a on the fly idea but it is a shit show that I wouldn't even attempt if I hadn't even at least previously covered my hardware costs I have already paid off my 13 5870s mining since difficulty was at 72k and paid of what I'm investing now the rest is gravy and if you want to call my bluff you can look at block explorer I have been steady cashing our to lr 1000 a day for the last 19 days and shall keep doing so
exahash

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 06:30:20 PM

@warweed - your projected 150 or 200 amps is not going to be enough. 

I am running an almost identical set up, with roughly one of your racks and am drawing about 150 amps.  I have 3- and 4-card boards with sempron 140's and those same sapphire xtreme 5850's.  The 3-card boards are each pulling 5.5 amps (measured with a kill-a-watt at the outlet) and the 4-card boards are pulling almost 7 amps (at full load with slight oc of course).  Doing the math... you're looking to run 48 boards @5.5 amps each for a total of 264 amps.  Better make that 300 amp service if you want to run a bunch of fans or a/c units in that room.

I'm running my setup in an office which already has a/c and it can't keep up.  I've put a large window fan in to exhaust the hot air and another large intake fan to bring cool air in from the rest of the building.  The heat from those cards is ejected laterally, so instead of having fans blow in the usual front-to-back orientation like in a computer case, I have box fans blowing the length of the shelves, to move the heat toward the window.

I also found that its cheaper and slightly lower power to go with USB stick drives instead of regular hd's.  An ubuntu server install plus everything you need fits on a 4 GB stick.

Good luck, I hope electricity is free there!
pwnyboy

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 06:39:39 PM

The OP mentioned "FEDS".  I knew he was Canadian and rightfully assumed he was referring to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, a federal police service.

It is you who'se put his foot in his mouth.  Good day sir.
bobR

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 06:51:15 PM

The OP mentioned "FEDS".  I knew he was Canadian and rightfully assumed he was referring to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, a federal police service.

It is you who'se put his foot in his mouth.  Good day sir.

yep and you were loads of help to his problem
get a life & stop trooling
bobR

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 07:11:30 PM

Why would it be a problem if he wasn't doing anything illegal in the first place?

It wouldn't
but we have the trolls that seem to have nothing better to do than scan what has been posted adding nothing but drivel just to see their name or say how great they are
There should be a special twit thread just for the KIDS that need to do that
Gameover

Activity: 92

NEURAL.CLUB - FIRST SOCIAL ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 07:12:08 PM

Why would it be a problem if he wasn't doing anything illegal in the first place?

its not a problem in the long run, but the feds busting down your door at 2am can be some scary shit lol, more of an inconvenience.  unknown to most that local police, DEA, and FEDs use IR drones to detect heat signatures and monitor houses power usage to detect grow houses, since lighting uses a lot of electricity to grow pot plants.

Gameover

Activity: 92

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 07:18:06 PM

First off my cost is no were near 60g lol try more like 12g haha like I said this is a cheap setup check YouTube.com/warweed for what we were running before that's all brig consolidated into one room and tripled then add cooling ontop of that

And like I said it's epcor (power company) that flags a house for excessive usage they have already been contacted same with local law if the proceed we will sue the
 And don't worrie we will recover our costs easily in hardware and when power starts to be to mch in relation to payout we shall lease out the gpu cluster to university researchers Smiley or something to that effect

cool man, if you would like to share i would still love to see your cost projections and ROI, but as you say since it sounds like all of your next setup is funded by bitcoins there is nothing to lose in effect, but still that's 12g that could be in your bank...

bobR

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 07:22:10 PM

its not a problem in the long run, but the feds busting down your door at 2am can be some scary shit lol, more of an inconvenience.  unknown to most that local police, DEA, and FEDs use IR drones to detect heat signatures and monitor houses power usage to detect grow houses, since lighting uses a lot of electricity to grow pot plants.

you guys need to get a life
stop believing in santa and the sifi fairy
most drug bust's are ratted out info
if it was ir from power usage every factory and most any business would be on the radar

AND this has little to due with the subject at hand
some one doing legitimate business ...In canada ..where the US dea HAS NO AUTHORITY
enough already with this BS
warweed (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 07:49:15 PM

Exactly and my dad is aviation enforcement and maintenance enforcement cheif of the prairie region of Canada the local sky lights flying overs sophisticated enough to detect if the heat is consistent with a signature from a metal halide or high press sodium bulb

Secondly Edmonton is a very large police force there is a big difference between RCMP and municipal police (like comparing a highway cop to a city cop)

Thirdly no the draw should not exceed 100amp at 120v
Plus AC or cooling

So if anyone else has concerns I will address them now then respectfully request we get off this tangent qnd back to the main topic
pwnyboy

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 07:53:57 PM

yep and you were loads of help to his problem
get a life & stop trooling

My post was loads of help to anyone considering doing the same thing - quite simply - to go it alone is ridiculous.  It was based on the insights gained by building and operating Internet datacenters for the past 6 years.  And it'll be even more helpful when the OP comes back and says "omgosh, I had to shut off rigs during the day because my room was 40 degrees hotter than the outside air during the peak of summer!".  It is you who are trolling, but your naiveté precludes you from realizing the same.
cschmitz

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:04:50 PM

We have a source for complete single slot pcie machines in the amount of 50 machines a skid at a cost of 20 each then add 133 plus tax only on 133 of 5% for the gpu add psu that powers the gpu and board sufficiently for 30 that's 9600 just for the machines that's cheaper by far then what 90% of you even pay for a 5870

See bobR it's not who you know but who knows you ! That's how you get good deals buy in volume with a corporate account

Don't under estimate the cost and moving factor of volume purchases of end of life hardware

Given the way you structured your sentence and your hardware logic, i can only say its not the best idea in the universe, really. Triple slot am3 with 5850s are your best bet if you want to expand massively. your single slot shitpcs have no resale value and will really put a hurting on your administrative overhead with that amount of cards.

proud 5.x gh/s miner. tips welcome at 1A132BPnYMrgYdDaRyLpRrLQU4aG1WLRtd
warweed (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:13:41 PM

Oh and in addition it's the power company that tips off the cops of large use also run audits for illegal taps checking with some weird laser at the feed into the house and the feed from the meter to verify all is good there is a threshold to which raises flags of above normal household consumption to which is then investigated
warweed (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

We have a source for complete single slot pcie machines in the amount of 50 machines a skid at a cost of 20 each then add 133 plus tax only on 133 of 5% for the gpu add psu that powers the gpu and board sufficiently for 30 that's 9600 just for the machines that's cheaper by far then what 90% of you even pay for a 5870

See bobR it's not who you know but who knows you ! That's how you get good deals buy in volume with a corporate account

Don't under estimate the cost and moving factor of volume purchases of end of life hardware

Given the way you structured your sentence and your hardware logic, i can only say its not the best idea in the universe, really. Triple slot am3 with 5850s are your best bet if you want to expand massively. your single slot shitpcs have no resale value and will really put a hurting on your administrative overhead with that amount of cards.

Have you seen the costs of psu's that are needed for a 3 gpu machine on top of that what happens when a board or psu or one fault happens 3 cards go down huh
Even daisy chaning psu's is pointless and stupid

And guys quit fucking bickering seriously all your advice and suggestions are all being taken into consideration

And your input is appreciated because your right some of you have alot more experience

Jesus Christ are we 14 trying to start a flame war grow the fuck up

warweed (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:23:36 PM

Oh and surprisingly I have sold all the legit cd keys for xp pro already for double the cost of the pc itself 

But I do get your concerns you are right and English isn't my first language so I'm sorry I know I carry no grammer
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: