Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:48:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 9 US industries profiting from the prison-industrial complex.  (Read 1171 times)
newflesh (OP)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 03:28:38 PM

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/9-surprising-industries-profiting-handsomely-americas-insane-prison-system

"It's no coincidence that the United States now imprisons more of its people than any other country in the world: mass incarceration has become a giant industry in the U.S., resulting in huge profits not only for private prison companies, but also, for everything from food companies and telecoms to all the businesses that are using prison labor to cut their manufacturing costs. The prison-industrial complex even has its own lobbyists: according to a 2011 report from the Justice Policy Institute (JPI), the U.S.’ largest private prison company, the Corrections Corporation of America (CCA), and their competitor the GEO Group have both spent hundreds of thousands of dollars lobbying forlonger prison sentences. And the American Bail Coalition has been lobbying for the bail bond industry for 23 years.

"One of the main reasons so many people are imprisoned in the U.S. (which now has 25% of the world’s prisoners even though it comprises only 5% of the world’s population) is the war on drugs, which has brought with it draconian sentences for nonviolent drug offenses. In a 2013 report on Americans serving life without parole for nonviolent offenses, the American Civil Liberties Union found that 79% were incarcerated for drug-related convictions. Three-strikes laws, which mandate life without the possibility of parole after a third felony conviction, have also done a lot to expand the prison-industrial complex.

Reform is at odds with the agenda of many powerful industries. It's well-known that private prison companies draw their profits from mass incarceration, but they’re not the only ones. Here are nine industries that are profiting quite handsomely from the prison-industrial complex and mass incarceration in the U.S".

1. Food supply companies.
2. Telecommunications
3. Healthcare companies
4. Call centers
5. Clothing manufacturers
6. Technology sector
7. Bail industry
8. Food Processing and Packaging
9. Agriculture

--

Plain to see the 'war on drugs' was just a mechanism for creating a slave labor workforce, no need to send jobs offshore when you can employ you own citizens with zero pay nor workers rights.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 03:34:47 PM

I read somewhere that there are more people in jail in the US for drug related 'crime' than there are people in jail for all offences in Europe (with three times the population).

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 04:30:44 PM

Plain to see the 'war on drugs' was just a mechanism for creating a slave labor workforce, no need to send jobs offshore when you can employ you own citizens with zero pay nor workers rights.

that's when I got that the only stable alliance in this world of liars was with those that they call the "Fallen", since then I only learn more and more about how dirty the enslavers of mankind are (money printers, lawyers, judges, cops etc etc), and how rightful I am. Very good I plan to answer before God of my Deed.

money is faster...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: