Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:29:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: very sad day...blockchain.info wallet hacked.  (Read 4108 times)
sadday (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 08:47:58 AM

maybe this happened via Tor, because it was shortly after i logged in to a dark site and also my wallet.

please save all the "you were stupid" comments.  i know that now.  lost $14,000 at the time of the hack. i thought by only writing my wallet identifier down on paper along with my password, and never storing private keys in email or other such things i would be safe.  guess not.  

been playing with coins a long time.  this was my savings.  i know, should not have trusted blockchain.info on Tor.

wow this really hurts.

i made a new account for this post.  don't really want anyone to know who i am.  Sad

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Madness

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 08:50:22 AM

I feel bad for you mate , really . I'am not going to say that you was stupid or anything that makes your depression condition worst but...
Simply don't never ever store your Bitcoin on an Online wallet (and that include exchangers which are getting hacked one by one since 2015 started)

~ Madness

sadday (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 08:54:25 AM

years ago i tried to store a bitcoin wallet on a flash drive and ended up losing some coins when i couldn't access it.  after that i figured the online wallet was a better choice.  im not an IT person.  blockchain.info seemed like the biggest and most reliable service.
Clegg

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 08:57:24 AM

What darknet site did you log into? Did you log onto you wallet via tor. Did you have a second password and 2-factor set up?

I feel bad for you mate , really . I'am not going to say that you was stupid or anything that makes your depression condition worst but...
Simply don't never ever store your Bitcoin on an Online wallet (and that include exchangers which are getting hacked one by one since 2015 started)

~ Madness

It doesn't matter whether you store them on a online wallet or on your desktop if you get a virus.
Madness

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 09:00:32 AM

years ago i tried to store a bitcoin wallet on a flash drive and ended up losing some coins when i couldn't access it.  after that i figured the online wallet was a better choice.  im not an IT person.  blockchain.info seemed like the biggest and most reliable service.

You could simply use a wallet like Electrum for example , once you setup the wallet they gives you a 12 words seed . just wrote those paper on a piece of paper and make sure you never lose it . In case of a computer failure or PC hacked or whatever , you can recover your Bitcoin and your wallet from those twelve words .

~ Madness

sadday (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:02:02 AM

https://blockchain.info/tx/0ada981f1b102cb87469b3ade7da7735b8e086e4f78f9e160c345ade722ca188

that is the transaction.
Clegg

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:02:27 AM

You could simply use a wallet like Electrum for example , once you setup the wallet they gives you a 12 words seed . just wrote those paper on a piece of paper and make sure you never lose it . In case of a computer failure or PC hacked or whatever , you can recover your Bitcoin and your wallet from those twelve words .

~ Madness

You can do that on blockchain.info too.
Madness

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 09:05:19 AM

~ Madness

I didn't knew but still it dosen't matter . It's an Online wallet , all the hacker need to do is a Keylogger or malware on your PC and you are done . If OP want more security he should go to the following wallets : Offline , Hardware & Paper wallets . (By order from the less to the top secure)

~ Madness

sase007

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:06:39 AM

This is unfortunate Sad
sadday (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:08:02 AM

~ Madness

yeah i have the seed from blockchain.info.  but that only restores the wallet, that doesn't do anything to protect your coins.  so what if you can restore the wallet if it is empty?

frustrated that i can only post every 360 seconds- 6 minutes.  Sad

about 10 hours after i used the wallet it was emptied.

i was using a darknet market.
Clegg

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:11:56 AM

I didn't knew but still it dosen't matter . It's an Online wallet , all the hacker need to do is a Keylogger or malware on your PC and you are done . If OP want more security he should go to the following wallets : Offline , Hardware & Paper wallets . (By order from the less to the top secure)

~ Madness

And exactly the same can be said for desktop wallets. In fact, if you have 2-factor set up on something like your mobile it's probably safer than a desktop. Without your mobile phone the hacker can't get access. The other methods you mentioned all aren't foolproof either especially if you are already infected or get infected with a virus.

yeah i have the seed from blockchain.info.  but that only restores the wallet, that doesn't do anything to protect your coins.  so what if you can restore the wallet if it is empty?

He brought up restoring wallets with the seed, but did you have 2-factor verification?
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1205

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:13:06 AM

Print a cold paper wallet from blockchain.info should suffice, so your private keys are stored only on paper. It's quick and easy.

I'm really sorry for your loss mate.

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
bitwarrior
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:13:10 AM

Sorry for your lost. Hope you recover soon. Better not touch darknet with an online wallet next time.
sadday (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:15:37 AM

i didn't know it was hacked from Nov 30 to yesterday- Feb 20.  i just logged in to move some coins from other places into my wallet and found it completely empty.

i rarely log in to the wallet.  i guess Tor is an absolute no-no, right?

yes it could have been a keylogger or some other malware but i scan often with Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy. 

thanks everyone for your support it is much appreciated right now.  i realize i made mistakes and this is my fault.  its just tough to accept after so much time and energy invested into bitcoin.  just feel very frustrated.
Clegg

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:18:18 AM

i didn't know it was hacked from Nov 30 to yesterday- Feb 20.  i just logged in to move some coins from other places into my wallet and found it completely empty.

i rarely log in to the wallet.  i guess Tor is an absolute no-no, right?

yes it could have been a keylogger or some other malware but i scan often with Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy. 

thanks everyone for your support it is much appreciated right now.  i realize i made mistakes and this is my fault.  its just tough to accept after so much time and energy invested into bitcoin.  just feel very frustrated.

Tor has seemingly been responsible for many blockchain.info hackings so I would avoid it completely. Can you tell me whether you had 2-factor? I'm guessing not? Everytime someone's bc.info account gets hacked it's always the same story. Blockchain.info has many security features and you need to make sure you use them.
sadday (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:24:38 AM

i know people swear by 2FA but the last time i tried to use it with another site i got locked out- my account was frozen and it created a huge hassle.  as a result i never wanted to use 2FA.  of course this probably would have protected my coins.
sase007

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:25:59 AM

i know people swear by 2FA but the last time i tried to use it with another site i got locked out- my account was frozen and it created a huge hassle.  as a result i never wanted to use 2FA.  of course this probably would have protected my coins.
You could have your money stored in paper wallet. 9k eur is too much to be stored online.

Or buy a Trezzor
Clegg

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:31:21 AM

i know people swear by 2FA but the last time i tried to use it with another site i got locked out- my account was frozen and it created a huge hassle.  as a result i never wanted to use 2FA.  of course this probably would have protected my coins.

Well I'd personally prefer a minimal bit of hassle rather than lose all my funds. I've never seen somebody get hacked when they've got 2-factor set up and it is very simple and quick to use on blockchain. Takes a minute to set up and then only seconds to enter it each time. Better to be safe than sorry the old saying goes.
tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 03:57:13 PM

Well I'd personally prefer a minimal bit of hassle rather than lose all my funds. I've never seen somebody get hacked when they've got 2-factor set up and it is very simple and quick to use on blockchain. Takes a minute to set up and then only seconds to enter it each time. Better to be safe than sorry the old saying goes.

Don't know about bitcoin wallets with 2FA being hacked, but I know a few banks which used a two factor authentication and still had their clients' money stolen in spite of it (and it was not an inside job). So this is not a 100% guarantee at all (in fact, far from it).
abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 10:48:47 PM

i know people swear by 2FA but the last time i tried to use it with another site i got locked out- my account was frozen and it created a huge hassle.  as a result i never wanted to use 2FA.  of course this probably would have protected my coins.

Sorry to hear, $14k is a lot of money.

Sounds like they stole your password via a malicious Tor exit node.

I would never trust storing any Bitcoins on the web without 2FA.  You can easily backup your code by doing a screen shot of the initial QRC setup code.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: