Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:43:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any interest in an automated tool to find better GPU miner settings?  (Read 927 times)
miracle.max (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:38:56 PM

I was playing with the reaper code, mostly just pulling it apart to get an idea of how it worked, and I thought it would be useful to hack it up to run through a range of scrypt GPU settings and measure the performance so I don't have to slog through it manually.  It seems like the "stab in the dark" settings I was previously using for my NVIDIA cards were way off base, because I've easily picked up another 50% hash rate by using settings found with my hacked miner.

If anybody else wants to try it out, I can post the (still extremely ugly) source and some Windows binaries on Github this weekend.  Right now I've only run this on NVIDIA cards, but I'll pop an ATI card in my machine and make sure that works before I post it.  I'm not sure I'll get around to making sure Linux works before I post, but I can do that later on this week.

I don't plan on spending a lot of time polishing this thing, as I'd still prefer to work on things that would be more useful for making LTC adoption easier (assuming I can learn the things I need in order to do that effectively), but I did want to throw this out there if it seems like it would save people some time.
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NASDAQEnema

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 02:52:05 AM

I was playing with the reaper code, mostly just pulling it apart to get an idea of how it worked, and I thought it would be useful to hack it up to run through a range of scrypt GPU settings and measure the performance so I don't have to slog through it manually.  It seems like the "stab in the dark" settings I was previously using for my NVIDIA cards were way off base, because I've easily picked up another 50% hash rate by using settings found with my hacked miner.

If anybody else wants to try it out, I can post the (still extremely ugly) source and some Windows binaries on Github this weekend.  Right now I've only run this on NVIDIA cards, but I'll pop an ATI card in my machine and make sure that works before I post it.  I'm not sure I'll get around to making sure Linux works before I post, but I can do that later on this week.

I don't plan on spending a lot of time polishing this thing, as I'd still prefer to work on things that would be more useful for making LTC adoption easier (assuming I can learn the things I need in order to do that effectively), but I did want to throw this out there if it seems like it would save people some time.

CGMINER.

See if you can help there.

Reaper is useful for those who can't get cgminer to work right.

If you feel Universe has trolled you exclusively, please donate to Emergency Butthurt Support Fund:
1Jv4wa1w4Le4Ku9MZRxcobnDFzAUF9aotH
Proceeds go to Emergency Butthurt Escape Pod none of you will be allowed to use. If you have read this far, you must pay Emergency Butthurt Internet Tax.
miracle.max (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 03:38:54 AM

CGMINER.

See if you can help there.

Sure, if there's interest and somebody's not already working on full auto-configuration in cgminer.  That's mainly what I was looking to find out--I don't want to spend a bunch of time hacking on miner code if everybody already knows how to find optimal settings for their setup.

Reaper is useful for those who can't get cgminer to work right.
I've personally found it quite useful for locking up my machine. Smiley
xurious

Activity: 413
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 03:47:24 AM

Here's my vote for cgminer as well. Besides the initial launch day, I got my cgminer settings close and just left them. What would really be good is in the end a database could be sorted out for this. Take your driver/opencl/card combo and find a close match in the DB. Then tweak the settings around a bit. Once it found the fastest, it would upload the data.

SiaMining.com -- First PPS SiaMining Pool! 3%, VarDiff, Stratum Support
VelvetLeaf

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 04:01:28 AM

Here's my vote for cgminer as well. Besides the initial launch day, I got my cgminer settings close and just left them. What would really be good is in the end a database could be sorted out for this. Take your driver/opencl/card combo and find a close match in the DB. Then tweak the settings around a bit. Once it found the fastest, it would upload the data.

The benchmarked data should be uploaded to public and everyone can view important data : temperature, overclocking precentage, effieciency, hash rate and others.

Someone should set up CGMiner.com-like domain to hold all this data.

BTC : 1GN81dxzxyFPQsyAtdocXr5S9Mcg4wcfFG
LTC : LgmYvXsYXc4xdjsMKXJWqtagxVvioK6iaw
FC : 6dpSnKMtttUUYzaRu1EB7Lu18PBRVHU3V7
illpoet

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 04:54:39 AM

yeah a feature in cgminer to find optimum settings for video cards would be awesome.  I know in my guts that cgminer can mine more effieciently than reaper but i haven't figured out how to do it (i use a pool to find the true khash, bc reaper reports funny)

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
wndrbr3d

Activity: 914
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 12:54:55 PM

I'm not sure if automated is the best answer, but I think that people posting their settings/results clearly and easily searchable would be nice.

An example of this NOT happening is on the litecoin wiki where it ranks GPU performance, and the settings sometimes are like "aggression 18". Where's the # of CU's? Where's the # of threads? This doesn't help me at all!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: