Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:04:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Writing a paper for a econ class  (Read 1174 times)
funkbungus (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 08:51:44 PM

Hello everybody!

I just posted in the loan subforum because google brought me there first for some reason, maybe this is a better spot.
Anyway I'm writing a term paper for my macro economics class about crypto currency and its viability in rural areas ( I grew up on a dairy farm in the sticks) and was wondering if anybody had any insight.

In this age I can have almost anything shipped almost anywhere, thus removing (at least partially) the distance barrier that exists when you live 50 miles from anywhere that sells anything. My paper is concerning the advantages and disadvantage s of a digital currency vs. A traditional fiat tender.

My prof is quite sure that digital currency is a trend and its only used by the sleazy criminals that lurk the deep web. I argue that in this digital age we live in, the advantages of a decentralized peer reviewed currency has a broader appeal than just buying drugs on the silk road.

Any way the long and short of this: any insight both positive and negative would be appreciated.

Also I'm open to accepting very small donation or loan to give me an idea of the purchasing power behind bitcoin.

I can repay you with some very limited scripting and or coding ability, a song, poems, or a piece of art.

Thank you,
Funkbungus

Ohhhh my wallet is. 1BeBftL7BrP4bqmFmVJHtpfG7K9qVHfyJa
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 09:15:16 PM

Hello everybody!

I just posted in the loan subforum because google brought me there first for some reason, maybe this is a better spot.

Asking for a loan on your first post makes you look like a scammer.

Anyway I'm writing a term paper for my macro economics class about crypto currency and its viability in rural areas ( I grew up on a dairy farm in the sticks) and was wondering if anybody had any insight.

In this age I can have almost anything shipped almost anywhere, thus removing (at least partially) the distance barrier that exists when you live 50 miles from anywhere that sells anything. My paper is concerning the advantages and disadvantage s of a digital currency vs. A traditional fiat tender.

The economics section[1] might be better.

My prof is quite sure that digital currency is a trend and its only used by the sleazy criminals that lurk the deep web. I argue that in this digital age we live in, the advantages of a decentralized peer reviewed currency has a broader appeal than just buying drugs on the silk road.

Typcial stereotypes.

Any way the long and short of this: any insight both positive and negative would be appreciated.

Also I'm open to accepting very small donation or loan to give me an idea of the purchasing power behind bitcoin.

Asking for donations is considered begging, thats not allowed here. Put your address in your signature and make quality posts, someone might send you something. A loan for a Newbie will almost allways be denied unless you can provide sufficient collateral. Read the sticky[2] in the lending section.

I can repay you with some very limited scripting and or coding ability, a song, poems, or a piece of art.

Offering services would belong in the servies section[3].

Thank you,
Funkbungus
-snip-

You are welcome. I will ask the mods to move your thread in the beginners and help[4] section as this might qualify as an introduction thread, if you have problems finding it click on "Watchlist" (top left).

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=7.0
[2] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=577765.0
[3] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=52.0
[4] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=39.0

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
funkbungus (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:13:29 PM

Thankyou! I should have dug a little deeper before posting, sorry about sounding like a scammer I'm still learning how to buy bitcoin with USD, and its bothersome without a debit card or credit card. Is there anywhere I could buy bitcoin with a western union or money transfer? I'm probably just looking in the wrong places. Thanks again for the info
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4284
Merit: 3185

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:35:05 PM

Rather than asking for donations or loans, just buy some. You can have bitcoins this afternoon. If you don't mind hooking up your bank account and waiting a few days, try coinbase.com. If you want to buy with a credit card, try circle.com. If you want to buy face-to-face with cash, or you want to use some other way of paying, try localbitcoins.com.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 10:36:44 PM

Thankyou! I should have dug a little deeper before posting, sorry about sounding like a scammer

Dont worry, we all started. You might notice the little red warning in your profile

-11: -2 / +0(0)
Warning: Trade with extreme caution!

this might make it harder for you to trade for a while, but as long as you are willing to use escrow[1] that should be no problem. Contact me after 30 days and I will remove the rating.

I'm still learning how to buy bitcoin with USD, and its bothersome without a debit card or credit card. Is there anywhere I could buy bitcoin with a western union or money transfer? I'm probably just looking in the wrong places. Thanks again for the info

Im not very familiar with WU or Money Transfer, but keep in mind that anything that is easily reversible will cost you a premium because of the risks involved. You might be able to meet with someone in person[2] or find another solution here[3]

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=108716.0
[2] e.g. via https://localbitcoins.com/
[3] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=53.0

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
rexxarofmoknathal

Activity: 966
Merit: 260

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:40:00 PM

I posted a similar question before, and one link that someone provided proved to be quite useful, from the federal reserve. http://www.federalreserve.gov/econresdata/feds/2014/files/2014104pap.pdf?p=cite_@inthepixels

BUY & SELL
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BITCOIN ETHEREUM RIPPLE
FAQ
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
AFFILIATE PROGRAM

░██████████████████░
████████████████████
█████████▀░░░███████
█████████░░▄████████
███████▀▀░░▀▀███████
███████▄▄░░▄▄███████
█████████░░█████████

█████████░░█████████

█████████▄▄█████████

████████████████████

░██████████████████░
░██████████████████░
████████████████████
████████████▀▀▀█▀███
███░▀█████▀░░░░░▀███
███▌░░░▀▀▀░░░░░░████
████▄░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████▀░░░░░░░░░█████

██████▄░░░░░▄▄██████

█████▄▄▄▄███████████

████████████████████

░██████████████████░
░██████████████████░
████████████████████
████████████████████
███████████▀▀░░▐████
███████▀▀░░░░░█████
████▀░░░▄█▀░░░▐█████
█████▄▄█▀░░░░░██████

███████▌▄▄▄▐██████

████████████████████

████████████████████

░██████████████████░
funkbungus (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 12:57:14 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone, a friend gave me half a coin to test the waters, I'm attempting to prove its viable as a complete currency, I found a person on reedit thatd sell me c-rations soooo, so far I've proven you won't starve if all you have is btc.

Thanks again everybody, sorry for asking for a loan im sort of internet naive in general.
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 02:35:39 AM

I do understand that it might seem rude to you for people putting scammer tag on you , but that's because daily there are newbie's asking for loans and defaulting , it have become a trend , though it's not a biggie if one is genuine . all the best for it
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 02:55:52 AM

you should incorporate game theory into your class and how digital currency could encourage a more fair and honest valuation of products and services by reducing trade and commerce barriers.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀