Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:43:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: As a percentage, which do you think will gain most value in the coming year?
Gold
Silver
Bitcoin
Another alt-coin

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC or Gold/Silver  (Read 2243 times)
miztaziggy (OP)

Activity: 432
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 07:30:54 PM

Interested to know people's opinions....

*Image Removed*

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
okthen

Activity: 490

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 08:59:37 PM

My take is on gold for this year (Euro devaluating and all, etc.).
2016 will be the year of bitcoin! Cheesy
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:30:26 PM

I pick Bitcoin
Bitcoin can easily double once the true bottom is found and possibly more depending on the level of FOMO to hit when it does. Silver would be next and can also fairly easily double but that's about it for this year. Gold on the other hand has no possibility of doubling within this year. For these reasons, I have a higher percentage of my porfolio devoted to Bitcoin and the trade thereof. Then a substantial chunk of money set aside for silver when it takes it's final plunge into the low teens where I will buy 1-10,000oz of physical (I haven't decided how much yet but 1,000 to start is certain).

IMO, Gold is a terrible investment compared to silver. If you get silver at $15 and gold at $1100, silver can realistically get about an 8x increase over the coming years whereas gold would be lucky to get 3-4x. Now, I understand that as far as eating up as much available funds for a smaller required space, it's gold hands down, but if space and weight is not an issue, silver is by far the better investment.

EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 11:34:43 PM

The prices of metals are less volatile, so there's less to gain, but also less to lose. I can't imagine the prices of gold halving within a month Wink
Bitcoin is still a high risk investment, but with high risk comes a possible high gain. Wise people will tell you to divide your assets between fiat btc and metals. Another altcoin is the worst choice here.

Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 02:12:17 PM

I would place my bet on both which will slightly lean towards bitcoin. If I would spread my investment portfolio, it would be bitcoin 30 pct, 20 for rare metals and the rest on others.

uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 02:29:24 PM

we already have a very good topic on the same issue. Not sure if we need to have a second one on the same subject.
Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68655.0

To answer the question from the OP, here is my view on gold (silver pretty much aligned with that):
last Friday was pushed again down to the $1200 line. Seems like $1180 is back in the cards. Slip there will pretty much set the gold market for the first half of 2015.
Taking into account low in summer, even good performance in Q4 won't bring much in the gold market. Not this year.
So probably bitcoin would be better pick, and the best pick would be an altcoin.

this space is intentionally left blank
v0yager

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 03:45:23 PM

You are asking such a question on a Bitcoin fourm, then the answer is definitely the"Bitcoin".
Abbey_j

Activity: 322

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 04:09:18 PM

My take is on gold for this year (Euro devaluating and all, etc.).
2016 will be the year of bitcoin! Cheesy

2013 was the year of Bitcoin, hope 2016 will be another year of Bitcoin. Bear couldn't last forever.
Auxi

Activity: 378

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 04:27:04 PM

The best choice is buy/sell both
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 04:34:58 PM

Interested to know people's opinions....

All depends on how much money you want to lose.
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 06:18:34 PM

I think gold is far more stable than btc and has a good potential upside in the next few years due to QE.  Russia, China and big money are buying gold as quick as they can grab it and that is happening for a reason (I think a gold back currency is on way kicking the $ in to touch)

BTC is a gamble and you could get rich or go broke overnight.

Either way never get emotionally attached to investment and realise when its time to sell up.

Seems to me the biggest mistake  gold/btc bugs make is the "they'll have to prize them from my dead hand" approach.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 07:14:48 PM

BTC obviously has the most price swing potential up or down.  That's just expected volatility when no one's quite on board yet.

Gold/Silver definitely the most stable of all the options.  Alt-Coins, Fuggedaboutit!

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 08:58:39 PM

I think gold is far more stable than btc and has a good potential upside in the next few years due to QE.  Russia, China and big money are buying gold as quick as they can grab it and that is happening for a reason (I think a gold back currency is on way kicking the $ in to touch)

BTC is a gamble and you could get rich or go broke overnight.

Either way never get emotionally attached to investment and realise when its time to sell up.

Seems to me the biggest mistake  gold/btc bugs make is the "they'll have to prize them from my dead hand" approach.
Looking back into the most recent history, only QE1  has actually positively affected the gold price. All the remaining QE operations, didn't have the same impact. Actually, with QE on-going gold price went down, and it seems for now that direction "pleases" central banks who run the gold market. So unless there is a serious "loss of trust" event coming, things will continue as usual. Thus, I don't expect price of gold to outperform bitcoin in 2015. more ahead maybe, but not in this year.

this space is intentionally left blank
tyrexs

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:05:05 AM

of course im vote bitcoin, but so sad when i see bitcoin price  Cry

dsly

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:58:33 PM

What happened with the news that scientists were able to produce gold artificially ?

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 04:03:12 PM

What happened with the news that scientists were able to produce gold artificially ?

If that ran that process 24/7 we'd almost be able to see what they produced with a high school microscope and oil prices would be at ATH...  Ok maybe I'm exaggerating a little. :-)
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 04:54:53 PM

Long term, gold or silver is the safe choice, but Bitcoin obviously has a more speculative upside, and biggest risk of downside.
bigtimespaghetti
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

bigtimespaghetti.com

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 05:08:25 PM

Oh boy, good question. Probably bitcoin simply because of it's speculation attributes. Also I think silver above gold (just look at the gold to silver ratio).

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
       ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
    ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
     █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
   █▓▒░     ░▒▓█

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
  ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
    ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
    █▓░   ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
     █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
   █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
Physical Coin Making Guide Book and eBook- Make your own physical crypto coins and wallets!
  ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
   ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
    ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
     ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
  █▓░     ░░▒▓█
█▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░▒▓█

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
     ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
        ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
     █▓░     ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 06:25:46 PM

You are asking such a question on a Bitcoin fourm, then the answer is definitely the"Bitcoin".

After more than a year of solid bearish market movements, I hardly think Bitcoin is the easiest answer for everyone here - and that's only if everyone is posting honestly w/o an agenda.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 06:27:04 PM

Oh boy, good question. Probably bitcoin simply because of it's speculation attributes. Also I think silver above gold (just look at the gold to silver ratio).

+1
I think it would be more silver going up to meet the historical average than gold coming down to it.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: