Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:05:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Science makes gold  (Read 2025 times)
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:04:52 PM

On the costs of production, right? So it doesn't actually matter if you extract gold from something (since there is enough gold as gold in nature) or convert something into gold, provided you gain enough profits to cover your expenses. Gold will be gold in any case.

Gold is gold indeed. But why tinkering with bacteria when you can achive the same results by using your hob in the kitchen for half the price Smiley?
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:36:46 PM

On the costs of production, right? So it doesn't actually matter if you extract gold from something (since there is enough gold as gold in nature) or convert something into gold, provided you gain enough profits to cover your expenses. Gold will be gold in any case.

Gold is gold indeed. But why tinkering with bacteria when you can achive the same results by using your hob in the kitchen for half the price Smiley?

This is a good question indeed. But why think so narrowly? If you could "create" bacteria that lay out gold nuggets extracting gold from something that you could easily extract yourself at half the price, why not make the next step and breed a new strain that would bring you gold from sea water, for example?
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:52:21 PM

This is a good question indeed. But why think so narrowly? If you could "create" bacteria that lay out gold nuggets extracting gold from something that you could easily extract yourself at half the price, why not make the next step and breed a new strain that would bring you gold from sea water, for example?

As a first step it's nice, indeed. I was thinking on such life form, but bacterias used to spread across wast areas, so harvesting the extracted gold would be difficult. If that bacteria could live in symbiotic relationship with some sort of crab and would store the extracted gold in the crab's exoskeleton, then we just need to build a homing instint for moulting into the crab, and voila we could have a yearly gold harvest in a certain river (and an issue with the miner's workers union).
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:55:49 PM

Asteroid mining would be cool too. It would certainly slow down the destruction of our planet.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:58:42 PM

Asteroid mining would be cool too. It would certainly slow down the destruction of our planet.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-04-24/google-chiefs-back-startup-mining-asteroids-for-metals

bigkahuna

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 08:11:21 PM

Slow it down, maybe. But the amount of earth's resources required to launch and operate spacecraft takes a terrible toll on our environment!
dsly

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:50:25 PM

I don't think they will ever be able to produce too much to bring the prices down. Or they are keeping it a secret and producing all the gold and already selling it.

tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:55:56 PM

I don't think they will ever be able to produce too much to bring the prices down. Or they are keeping it a secret and producing all the gold and already selling it.

You might have noticed that gold prices have already fallen down and keep low for nearly two years by now. Some bacteria obviously have an agenda.
finnile

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 11:35:18 PM

Well that would actually mine more rare rocks not found on earth. I wonder what plans will google unveil.

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 11:56:13 PM

Slow it down, maybe. But the amount of earth's resources required to launch and operate spacecraft takes a terrible toll on our environment!

Science that takes toll on our environment can be justified for the greather good, and can help restore environment to healthier levels.
Anyways, i dont believe that asteroid mining would slow down anything back here on earth, they would just multiply the greed by two..

cheers
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 12:16:49 AM

No one "made" gold here, they refined it from an ore.  The only difference being they used bacteria to refine it rather than an industrial process.  The only way to make gold is with a supernova.

That's why asteroid-based mining + 3-D printing is the way to go.
http://gizmodo.com/how-asteroid-mining-could-pay-for-our-first-space-colon-1685429089
Hamuki
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 08:07:35 AM

No real updates on this???

Looks awesome.

All I have seen that had with science to do was getting gold from PC parts that were obsolete.

desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 08:32:22 AM

Well that would actually mine more rare rocks not found on earth. I wonder what plans will google unveil.

Earth formed from the same "space rocks" Smiley
Twipple

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 09:39:23 AM

No real updates on this???

Looks awesome.

All I have seen that had with science to do was getting gold from PC parts that were obsolete.

Article is from 2012. So apparently doesn't look like it has been tested much as of now.
Lorenzo

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 09:17:32 PM

No one "made" gold here, they refined it from an ore.  The only difference being they used bacteria to refine it rather than an industrial process.  The only way to make gold is with a supernova.

Actually I believe it's possible to synthesize gold using a particle accelerator. It's economically impractical since it costs millions to produce just a few grams, and the end result is also usually highly radioactive which would make it unsuitable for pretty much any application where gold is currently used.
Rishblitz

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 10:27:27 PM

There will be a time when science can make gold, but science can't make bitcoins Smiley

Nope just hackers.  Grin

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: