Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:25:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How can Bitcoin fail?  (Read 3580 times)
Hello Im Me (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 10:24:51 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, but I really don't understand how Bitcoin can fail.
If there is a limit of 21 million Bitcoins that will ever be made won't it just increase as people can't get it anyway else than trading?
From how I see it, the worst thing that can happen is that it gets the same standards as gold.

Please tell me what you think Smiley

██
                 █████
             ███    ██     
         ███        ██     ███
    ███             ██        ███
███           █    ███         ███
██        ███       ████      ██
██     ███           ████     ██
██    ██              ██    █     ██
██     ██              ██           ██
██     ███            ██          ██
██        ███        ██          ██
███        ███     █          ███
    ███        ██             ███
         ██     ██         ███
            █     ██    ███
                   █████
                      ██

CRYPTOTASK

Decentralized
freelancing market
  Fully scalable dispute system  .......        ✔︎ 
  Low fees, no limits task market .....      ✔︎ 
  Earn money by being a reviewer     ✔︎ 
Follow us & check. whitepaper.
Website     Announcement     Twitter     Facebook
[/center]
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 10:29:14 PM

I don't really understand your question. 21 million total is not a limit, coins are divisible.
rapsaodan84

Activity: 218
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 10:33:22 PM

Price will increase if people do want it and trade/buy it but that's not something certain. If another crypto or technology succeeds instead then BTC could fail of course.
MilesJohan

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 10:58:08 PM

If there is a limit of 21 million Bitcoins that will ever be made won't it just increase as people can't get it anyway else than trading?
From how I see it, the worst thing that can happen is that it gets the same standards as gold.

We will know only after reaching 2140 . Before that it will not be of that rarity.

MileyJohanson
bitcoinbot

Activity: 357
Merit: 130

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 11:06:57 PM

Ok, but what if nobody wants it...
PetePete

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 11:36:42 PM

Have anyone considered the security of Ethereum?

Think about all the computing power used to power bitcoin, if these miners turned there computing power onto disrupting Ethereum wouldn't that cause a problem?

Bitcoiners will have an incentive to disrupt the Etherum system.

Also, you can get Etherum secured by Bitcoin via counterparty (its a meta-coin not alt-coin)
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 12:22:48 AM

Yeah as long as people keep using it, it probably won't fail. If it gets replaced or abandoned, then it wouldn't be useful any longer.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 12:55:57 AM

It can fail if suddenly everybody thinks that it is not important anymore and decides to leave. Such as condition on emergence of new altcoin better in technology, collapse of the network due to attacks, anyway it is unlikely to happen. Or that is how I look at it as it is based on community support and acceptance

cyberpinoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 01:03:40 AM

Its not a matter of how but when. With the attitude of the developers and a lot of the development lovers in this forum you will see they neither care nor understand the importance of a damand. no one is doing what they need to do to secure bitcoins future. instead they just keep working on a wallet core that is used by a very small portion of bitcoin users.

As the profitablity of bitcoin decreases and the difficulty rises, the mining aspect opf bitcoins becomes much harder to achieve. the diff is around 40 billion right now, and the reward is 25 BTC, not bad right, well what happens when bTC is worth 40 bucks, the reward is 1 BTC and difficulty is in the trillions? ahh yes FAIL thats what happens.

No one mining bitcoins means no transactions are being processed, if no transactions are processed bitcoin fails pure and simple. And ole JP morgan and Goldman Sachs are waiting , anticipating and excited for that day to come.

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 01:04:59 AM

It fails if doesn't get adopted at a considerable scale, there's been a lot of investment in bitcoin start-ups with the anticipation of mass adoption, if adoption doesn't increase companies will bankrupt.

jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 01:05:38 AM

Another reason other than new Altcoin.. someone or a group find a loophole in the Bitcoin code. They attack the network.. making the network not working and thus.. bitcoin will fail.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 01:46:26 AM

With the attitude of the developers and a lot of the development lovers in this forum you will see they neither care nor understand the importance of a damand. no one is doing what they need to do to secure bitcoins future. instead they just keep working on a wallet core that is used by a very small portion of bitcoin users.

This.  This.  And this some more.

Unfortunately this programmable money we have isn't evolving fast enough.  Lighthouse was supposed to be the holy grail to bring on more Bitcoin developers and help Bitcoin evolve faster.  How's that coming guys?  Any new developers after 2 months?  I realize modifying Bitcoin is not easy.  But its possible and imperative that things get moving a shit ton faster than they're moving now.  This is 2015 tech industry.  You can't have a tech that sits stagnant for 2 years like this.  You cant have a tech that sits stagnant for 2 months.  

Priorities / arguing / opinions I suppose?  I don't know.  Shouldn't the path for Bitcoin development features and fixes be decided by a decentralized concensus of its *users* ?  By the *industry* ? Not a core group of developers who have zero experience in the field?  

Shouldn't there be a corevote website that allows hundreds of thousands of people around the world to vote on what features come next, and what priorities are first?  With obvious exceptions that are limited by the technology, etc.  And shouldn't the development team be adhering to those demands?  

There is literally zero input from the consumer public about bitcoin development and that concerns me.  Core developers learn about what the industry wants via osmosis.  Browsing Reddit, or hearing chatter around the water cooler.  That isn't how projects are executed.  I have been a project manager for 15 years, and the first rule I can tell you:  You dont let developers make product development decisions.  No offense to developers.  But coders are not marketers, sales people, or industry experts.  They are coders.  They implement what the market decrees.  They don't come up with the product development process or priorities.  They dont decide "yes" or "no" on things, unless its a limitation of the technology.  Ever.  If they do, then you end up with a product that no end-user can use, and wont use.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 02:17:53 AM

Have anyone considered the security of Ethereum?

Think about all the computing power used to power bitcoin, if these miners turned there computing power onto disrupting Ethereum wouldn't that cause a problem?

Bitcoiners will have an incentive to disrupt the Etherum system.

Also, you can get Etherum secured by Bitcoin via counterparty (its a meta-coin not alt-coin)
Thats why Maidsafe is a better project than Ethereum, because it doesnt depend on a blockchain.
The Young Turk
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1013

DAVID CHAUM's xx coin SALE IS NOW LIVE!

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 02:23:54 AM

If you shutdown entire internet then it fails Grin

OR;

You can slow down bitcoin network; Hardfork it; Make blocks orphan etc.

But you need lots of computers/clients to do it. How can it be done?

If you really want to shutdown bitcoin network here's an idea:

DDoS Major Pools! (~%70 of network) Then you secure that "new blocks can't be found or it takes really too long".

There's not a known cure for DDoS yet. But you need a really strong botnet (at least 1 million clients) to do it.

███████                   
                      ██████████                        ██       
                       ████████████                  ███       
                                ██████████           █████       
                                        ███████      ██████         
██████                  ███████     ████
████████                ██████     ██   
██████████        ████████           
███████████    █████████           
████████    ████████

███████    ████████       
              ██████    █████████████ 
          █████████      ███████████ 
      ███████████          █████████ 
██████████████                       
████████████████                       
███████      ████████████           
██████        ████████████           
████                ██████████           

.xx-coin.io.

DAVID CHAUM's xx coin SALE IS NOW LIVE!

bitwarrior
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 02:33:45 AM

It is too soon to say that bitcoin is going to fail. At current standing there is an ever increasing bitcoin mass adoption. And bitcoin is just starting to gain some grounds through mass media. Some exchanges will shutdown due to hacking, we have seen that through mtgox, but still BTC remains to stay.
croato

Activity: 616

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 02:55:57 AM

We are still in early stage but after few years Bitcoin survives whole lot of crap so i think it is here to stay.
solitude

Activity: 674

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 03:14:31 AM

Browsing Reddit

Opinion Discarded

Hardly anyone speaks English on this forum.
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 04:11:14 AM

I don't really understand your question. 21 million total is not a limit, coins are divisible.

No, you're wrong. 21 million IS A LIMIT. But divisibility means we can potentially trade 1/1010 of a bitcoin.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 04:26:50 AM

bitcoin could fail due to being banned by a major country like USA, or generally hostile regulation/criminalization.

it could also fail due to massive farming (51%) attack by powerful government or bank.

Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 06:32:32 AM

We will know only after reaching 2140 . Before that it will not be of that rarity.

around 80% of BTC are already mined by now.

And I think 90%+ will be until 2020.

Scarcity will be an issue way before 2140
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: