Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:28:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A sense of DECENCY and why the mods need to take an interest now. P  (Read 1289 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 06:13:09 AM

I really wish the mods would take a greater interest in what is going on in the alt-coin sub forum. The level that some people have sunk to in terms of personal attacks, homophobic, racist and sexist remarks, threats of violence, innuendo, is really disgusting and should not be permitted. It has risen far about a flame-war and truly has gotten out of control.

The fact that BitcoinExpress is trying to 51% the network is no excuse for the behavior on the board, this is not 4chan and shouldn't be allowed to turn itself into something similar. What BitcoinExpress is doing sucks, yes, but it's deserves a legitimate and rational discussion- and the mods have a duty (in my mind) to ensure that anything else is stopped in its tracks.

This might be confined the alt-coin subforum but it makes everyone looks bad. I and many other serious individuals in the community did not get involved in crypto to degrade women, belittle homosexuals and attack people because of their ethnic background. Let alone threaten violence in an age where people shoot up movie theaters. It's hard enough as it is to get good Publicity in the news and the last thing we need is the next Forbes article to describe us as the community at it's worst.

The fact that this is going on in the alt-coin section shouldn't mean to the rest of the BTC crew that it is irrelevant. A lot of the people who are working on Litecoin also truly believe in and build with bitcoin. The philosophical differences between the two coins should be left as an academic exercise, and the temptation to let the alt-coin crowd "destroy themselves" should be avoided.

If Litecoin fails due to a successful 51% attack: fair enough. But if it fails because enough decent, intelligent, and hardworking people turn their back on the crypto community in disgust, will have needlessly made doubters among those who could have been the most faithful.

Please, to those who are mods if you can take some time to clean up this mess and enforce some level of decency it will benefit us all.

Thank you,

more or less retired.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 06:30:58 AM

Are you volunteering?   Wink

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 06:32:56 AM

Are you volunteering?   Wink

Yes I would volunteer. I'm there every day already. It must be a horrible job I'm sure, but it's out of hand and someone needs to put a stop to it.

more or less retired.
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 06:36:13 AM

I'll back the wabbit up if I get a badge. No good being a Sheriff without a badge.

And please note that anything that I threw out that was homophobic, racist and sexist remarks, threats of violence, or innuendo was purely meant for ironic purposes attacking the same. The personal attacks I claim. But they were really well done, so there really isn't any call to moderate them.
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 06:38:56 AM

I agree that it's way out of hand. But I'm not sure I like the idea of mods taking it upon themselves to enforce "decency."
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 06:56:58 AM

I agree that it's way out of hand. But I'm not sure I like the idea of mods taking it upon themselves to enforce "decency."

I know what you mean, it's a slippery slope, but it seems like the lesser of 2 evils. I'm not talking about forcing people to be nice to each other, or keep some academic level of conversation, I'm just saying we need to put a stop to the really ugly stuff that in the long run, threatens us all. If 4chan had it's own currency, (Did I just release that meme into the world?) would anyone ever really think it could become a world currency?

more or less retired.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 07:35:28 AM

It must not be as bad as you say, since you haven't reported any posts in at least the last 30 days...

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
swissmate

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 10:17:09 AM

If you guys want to expand and have a better administration, why not make your own forum?

This is a bitcoin forum.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 01:34:36 PM

It must not be as bad as you say, since you haven't reported any posts in at least the last 30 days...

And you know what- the idea hadn't even occurred to me. I'll be a more proactive participant in the future. Thanks for the heads up!

more or less retired.
shockD

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 05:38:05 AM

Meh, regarding this and the related thread at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=95899.0:

At least it keeps a good percentage of the serious frothing freaks (obviously not all of them) over there... They'd just be shitting all over the other boards otherwise.

Let them spew over there.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 05:43:27 AM

This problem is exactly why I created this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92501.0

If forum members kept their flame wars to that thread I think the forum as a whole would benefit.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 06:24:34 AM

This problem is exactly why I created this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92501.0

If forum members kept their flame wars to that thread I think the forum as a whole would benefit.

You know, it never occurred to me that I could insult random folks on that thread... From now on, all insults of mine will be withheld from the response posts, and placed, instead, in the insult thread.  In fact, I think I'll start now.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 06:29:30 AM

You know, it never occurred to me that I could insult random folks on that thread... From now on, all insults of mine will be withheld from the response posts, and placed, instead, in the insult thread.  In fact, I think I'll start now.

I changed the rules:

29/07/2012 Edit: I'm changing the rules. Random insults of random people now allowed. Alt coiners, we welcome you.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: