Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:34:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info - where are the private keys?  (Read 2540 times)
mikewirth (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:40:51 PM

So when I 'import' an address, I have to put my private key into a textbox.  Does this private key leave my machine and go out on the Internet?  Blockchain clearly says they don't keep private keys.  So where does this private key 'live' after I import an address into Blockchain.info wallet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:48:22 PM

So when I 'import' an address, I have to put my private key into a textbox.  Does this private key leave my machine and go out on the Internet?

Yes, but as long as blockchain.info is working properly it should be encrypted before it is sent out.

Blockchain clearly says they don't keep private keys.

Where does it say that?  I'm nearly certain that blockchain.info stores all the private keys in encrypted form.

So where does this private key 'live' after I import an address into Blockchain.info wallet?

Unless they've changed their service recently (and I don't think they have), the private key is encrypted with your password in your browser, then the encrypted private key is sent to their servers where it is stored in their database.

Whenever you want to spend any bitcoins that require that private key, the encrypted form of it is sent from their database back to your browser where it is decrypted with your password and used to create the transaction.
mikewirth (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:00:45 PM

So when I 'import' an address, I have to put my private key into a textbox.  Does this private key leave my machine and go out on the Internet?

Yes, but as long as blockchain.info is working properly it should be encrypted before it is sent out.

Blockchain clearly says they don't keep private keys.

Where does it say that?  I'm nearly certain that blockchain.info stores all the private keys in encrypted form.

So where does this private key 'live' after I import an address into Blockchain.info wallet?

Unless they've changed their service recently (and I don't think they have), the private key is encrypted with your password in your browser, then the encrypted private key is sent to their servers where it is stored in their database.

Whenever you want to spend any bitcoins that require that private key, the encrypted form of it is sent from their database back to your browser where it is decrypted with your password and used to create the transaction.

So if they keep private keys (in encrypted form), why haven't they been hacked.  It seems like they'd have a shitload of keys and after someone got those they'd have very little trouble 'guessing' passwords against them.  Are you sure they keep private keys in their database?  Seems like a very big target to me.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:22:27 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2015, 03:35:12 PM by DannyHamilton

So if they keep private keys (in encrypted form), why haven't they been hacked.  It seems like they'd have a shitload of keys and after someone got those they'd have very little trouble 'guessing' passwords against them.  Are you sure they keep private keys in their database?  Seems like a very big target to me.

On many occasions in the past people that have used weak passwords have had their blockchain.info wallets emptied by hackers, and those with strong passwords have had their blockchain.info wallet emptied by malicious browser plug-ins.

It happened right in front of me once:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=602250.0

You can see here (from the https://blockchain.info/wallet webpage) that they are still storing the encrypted private keys in their database:

instagibbs

Activity: 114
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:40:32 PM

So if they keep private keys (in encrypted form), why haven't they been hacked.  It seems like they'd have a shitload of keys and after someone got those they'd have very little trouble 'guessing' passwords against them.  Are you sure they keep private keys in their database?  Seems like a very big target to me.

You're 100% right. bc.info is not a safe wallet. Javascript/password based wallets are dangerous, and bc.info doesn't have a great track record.
TrianglePythagoras

Activity: 274

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 04:09:24 PM

Browser plugins? Flip shit. I go crazy installing random plug ins
mikewirth (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 06:07:30 PM

I know right?  Every time I see: "do you want to install xxxxx plugin?" all I see is: "would you like to send naked pictures of your famous wife to TMZ?"  How can you trust ANY plugin?  They all are trying to get your keys.
foxkyu

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 04:10:37 PM

I know right?  Every time I see: "do you want to install xxxxx plugin?" all I see is: "would you like to send naked pictures of your famous wife to TMZ?"  How can you trust ANY plugin?  They all are trying to get your keys.
so the problem is in your browser plugin
just delete unused plugin, that's very dangerous..
if you still see that message try to install another browser
btw, can you tell me what plugin? so i will be more carefull
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: