Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:52:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [OFFICIAL] █ Bitproof.io █ Say Hello to True Certification in the Blockchain  (Read 3480 times)
bitproof (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 09:17:21 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2015, 07:26:40 AM by bitproof

We're excited to announce the opening of Bitproof.io!

https://i.imgur.com/uHGb3oy.png

Bitproof is a decentralized online notary that lets everyone (even your grandma) certify their files in the Blockchain.

What type of certification?
We provide Proof of Existence + Proof of Ownership + Proof of Integrity

Businesses, artists and researchers can protect the integrity of their contracts, put a timestamp on them, prove they are the owner of their creations and prove that the content of a file hasn't changed since the certification.

How do I use Bitproof?
- Drag and drop your file
- Create an account (choose a strong password - this is super important)
- Your file is certified in the Bitproof system (encrypted/hashed/signed client side)
- You can access all your certificates on any devices with your password

Vision
Files can be duplicated millions of times, certificates cannot. We bring uniqueness to files that aren't unique.

Bitcoins have value because they are unique and can't be double spent, certificates bring the concept of value to files in a digital world.

Technical details: for the geek
We put in the blockchain hash(signature(file.hash)).
The proof can be validated with the file's content and the public key. The private key lets you manage the ownership (transfers, issue new certificates...).

We give the signature, the hash and the private/public keys to the user (we also store it on our servers (encrypted with your password client side)).
The signature provides you with Proof of Ownership even if you share the file (hash).
The Proof of Existence is possible thanks to the file's hash and the block's timestamp. However, time isn't always accurate (+- a few minutes) in the Blockchain, that's why we're currently creating an internal transactions tree on top of the Blockchain (also hashed in the Blockchain) with exact timestamps: transactions are ordered, recursively hashed then all put in one hash in the Blockchain every few minutes.

About Bitproof
Bitproof's offices are located in the Silicon Valley, 15 min away from Palo Alto, California.
We are trying to raise funds and are building our team.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NewbieFromLatvia

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 09:30:46 PM

Seems very interesting. Great idea! I think it has the potential.
fthoughts

Activity: 21

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 09:43:13 PM

How does this differ from other notary services that try to use the blockchain for this purpose ? This isn't addressed very well in the ANN. Not to mention, there is a bias against this type of use (non-financial data in blockchain), how do you plan to combat such criticisms?
bitproof (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:03:40 PM

Thanks for your comments, we really appreciate getting feedbacks from the community.

How does this differ from other notary services that try to use the blockchain for this purpose ?

At the moment, most of those services only let you do Proof of Existence. Bitproof also provides Proof of Ownership. It means that you will be able to share your file without losing the ownership. Our long term vision is to develop the "Paypal of trust" that will let you make ownership transfers (to begin, you can think about Digital Art, licenses,...). We're also investing a lot in the User Experience, we believe that people should be able to use the power of the blockchain without a PhD.

Not to mention, there is a bias against this type of use (non-financial data in blockchain), how do you plan to combat such criticisms?

A lot of people in the Bitcoin community understand that bitcoin (the money) is only one application on top of the Bitcoin blockchain. Even if OP_RETURN (which lets you put data in the blockchain) disappears from the Bitcoin protocol, there will always be other blockchains willing to accept them. We also think huge technical improvements such as Sidechains or Ethereum will fix all those issues.
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:54:26 PM

I can't find any prices mentioned on the site. Is it completely free?

I also can't find any mention of what types of file can be used.

Lastly, if I certify/own a document, and send it to someone that I later wish I hadn't sent it to, what power of ownership do I have exactly? Can I remotely make the file stop working for them? Or is it basically the same as a notary stamp that proves to them it is still my file.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
bitproof (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 11:19:04 PM

It's currently $0.99/certificate for early adopters.

I also can't find any mention of what types of file can be used.
Any type of file, we certify the raw bytes of your files, it has nothing to do with the file type.

Lastly, if I certify/own a document, and send it to someone that I later wish I hadn't sent it to, what power of ownership do I have exactly? Can I remotely make the file stop working for them? Or is it basically the same as a notary stamp that proves to them it is still my file.
Certificates are like bitcoins, you cannot reverse a transfer, that's what makes the whole system powerful. In the future, you'll be able to make conditional transfers on Bitproof (based on time for example: let's say this file belongs to XXXX for Y days). Is it a feature you would like to see implemented soon? (If yes, to do what kind of business?)

BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 12:39:06 AM

Certificates are like bitcoins, you cannot reverse a transfer, that's what makes the whole system powerful. In the future, you'll be able to make conditional transfers on Bitproof (based on time for example: let's say this file belongs to XXXX for Y days). Is it a feature you would like to see implemented soon? (If yes, to do what kind of business?)

The only use case I can think of that is of course a bit-DRM, which frankly I'd rather no one tell the RIAA or MPAA about. Wink

It's very interesting though, I'm sure the right application will come along for it.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
cakir
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

★ BitClave ICO: 15/09/17 ★

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 01:24:31 AM

It's currently $0.99/certificate for early adopters.

Well, we can do it just for 0.0001 btc, why should we pay you?
Actually you're serving to the noobs. But do they know about bitcoin? Of course not...

,'#██+:                 
              ,█████████████'             
            +██████████████████           
          ;██████████████████████         
         ███████:         .███████`       
        ██████               ;█████'      
      `█████                   #████#     
      ████+                     `████+    
     ████:                        ████,   
    ████:    .#              █     ████   
   ;███+     ██             ███     ████  
   ████     ███'            ███.    '███, 
  +███     #████           ,████     ████ 
  ████     █████ .+██████: █████+    `███.
 ,███     ███████████████████████     ████
 ████     ███████████████████████'    :███
 ███:    +████████████████████████     ███`
 ███     █████████████████████████`    ███+
,███     ██████████████████████████    #███
'███    '██████████████████████████    ;███
#███    ███████████████████████████    ,███
████    ███████████████████████████.   .███
████    ███████████████████████████'   .███
+███    ███████████████████████████+   :███
:███    ███████████████████████████'   +███
 ███    ███████████████████████████.   ███#
 ███.   #██████████████████████████    ███,
 ████    █████████████████████████+   `███
 '███    '████████████████████████    ████
  ███;    ███████████████████████     ███;
  ████     #████████████████████     ████ 
   ███#     .██████████████████     `███+ 
   ████`      ;██████████████       ████  
    ████         '███████#.        ████.  
    .████                         █████   
     '████                       █████    
      #████'                    █████     
       +█████`                ██████      
        ,██████:           `███████       
          ████████#;,..:+████████.        
           ,███████████████████+          
             .███████████████;            
                `+███████#,               
bobc1994

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 05:59:05 AM

Hopefully there are more new appealing features coming with it.

bitproof (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 02:37:17 AM

We made it FREE - enjoy.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 02:30:14 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2015, 08:42:05 AM by HostFat

Is there a reason so that it's better to use OP_RETURN instead of using hash(signature(file.hash)) (or even only signature(file.hash) as passphrase on https://brainwallet.github.io ?

Than the first transaction will be the timestamp.

I'm missing something? Smiley

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
bitproof (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 08:54:43 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2015, 09:06:43 AM by bitproof

Is there a reason so that it's better to use OP_RETURN instead of using hash(signature(file.hash)) (or even only signature(file.hash) as passphrase on https://brainwallet.github.io ?

Than the first transaction will be the timestamp.

I'm missing something? Smiley

Using a hash as a private key is not as efficient as using OP_RETURN because it will require more transactions. You'll have to send some coins to the derived public key to prove existence of the hash, then you'll eventually want to transfer the coins back (2 transactions = takes more space).
Using a hash as a public key will just "burn" the coins (which is bad - increases deflation).
OP_RETURN has been created for the purpose of storing data in the blockchain, the inputs become fees and are given to the miners (no money is lost).
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 09:03:52 AM

Thank you very much! Now I see the whole thing Smiley

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
danielpbarron

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

Daniel P. Barron

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 04:24:10 AM

Using a hash as a private key is not as efficient as using OP_RETURN because it will require more transactions. You'll have to send some coins to the derived public key to prove existence of the hash, then you'll eventually want to transfer the coins back (2 transactions = takes more space).
Using a hash as a public key will just "burn" the coins (which is bad - increases deflation).
OP_RETURN has been created for the purpose of storing data in the blockchain, the inputs become fees and are given to the miners (no money is lost).

The "2 transactions" thing is a feature; not a bug. You can leave the funds there for scavengers to sweep as a verification that the process is working correctly.

Using a hash as public key is indeed bad, but not because of deflation. Decreasing the total supply of bitcoin is like giving a donation to all holders proportional to their holdings. A "burn" is bad because it permanently increases the pool of unspent outputs. This is a burden on full nodes.

The block chain was never intended to store data beyond what is necessary to record the transfer of funds between addresses. The private key method, although hack, does not betray this purpose.

This project is a rip-off, likely backed by UnSavoryGarnishi. Users should be highly suspicious of the fact that you require registration. That's not unlike regulators desire to taint bitcoin addresses with personally identifying information for the purposes of tax collection and cash flow restrictions. Your justification for the registration is moot considering that the same end can be met with the use of GPG contracts.

i : #bitcoin-assets log
Quote from: #bitcoin-assets
scoopbot: New post on Qntra.net by thestringpuller: http://qntra.net/2015/03/boost-vc-embraces-child-founded-start-up/
mircea_popescu: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=965883.msg10573130#msg10573130 << lol.
assbot: [OFFICIAL] █ Bitproof.io █ Say Hello to True Certification in the Blockchain ... ( http://bit.ly/1N4bPLb )
trinque: ^ registering nick
mircea_popescu: o look, here's some innovative stuff i came up with myself by reading trilema.
mircea_popescu: (i didn't really understand most of the stuff but whatever)
asciilifeform: it will get $maxint in usg payola.
asciilifeform: there's one 'genius' who will never need his mandatory day job.

Marriage is a permanent bond (or should be) between a man and a woman. Scripture reveals a man has the freedom to have this marriage bond with more than one woman, if he so desires. But, anything beyond this is a perversion. -- Darwin Fish
emrebey

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 08:29:23 AM

any difference or development to proof of existence?
bitproof (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 10:32:47 AM

This project is a rip-off, likely backed by UnSavoryGarnishi. Users should be highly suspicious of the fact that you require registration. That's not unlike regulators desire to taint bitcoin addresses with personally identifying information for the purposes of tax collection and cash flow restrictions. Your justification for the registration is moot considering that the same end can be met with the use of GPG contracts.

The goal of Bitproof is to make Blockchain certification mainstream. People need something easy to use. We only collect email address and full name.
Everything is fully encrypted and works like a brainwallet (your password).

Geeks can use 256 bits keys as password and use our API to send transactions directly to the blockchain (POST /.../ 40BYTES_OF_RAW_DATA).

With the current system, it's possible to serve people who knows nothing about Bitcoin AND geeks.

any difference or development to proof of existence?

Proof of Existence has been created and designed as a proof of concept for bitcoiners. Non-Bitcoin people won't understand anything. More than that, Bitproof offers Proof of Ownership using ECDSA 3072 bits signatures and allow public/private publications (we have our own explorer so you can share your proof after certification).

Let me know if you have any further questions.
emrebey

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 04:14:02 PM

thanks for the answer, I will investigate further, the concept is really cool itself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: