Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:01:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase CEO: bitcoin is far ahead! Altcoins are distractions!  (Read 10396 times)
calme

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 11:00:58 PM

Obama and other world leaders should give speeches to their nations about how all these damn alts are distracting from the BTC technology

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 11:06:43 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2015, 11:41:47 PM by toknormal

I can expect exactly that. Sidechains are just altcoins without the get rich quick scheme.

Please do tell which specific altcoins features cannot be implemented as sidechains.

That isn't the question. The question is "what altcoin would you *want* to implement as a sidechain". Sidechains are a solution looking for a problem - one which doesn't exist IMHO.

Take a look at this article: http://insidebitcoins.com/news/sidechains-could-turn-bitcoin-into-the-reserve-currency-of-the-internet/27132

The title of the article is "Sidechains Could Turn Bitcoin into the Reserve Currency of The Internet".

There are 2 problems with this title in my opinion.

1: A reserve currency is an monetary concept, not a technology one
2: Monetarily, Bitcoin ALREADY IS the reserve currency of the internet because all other currencies are priced in it on exchanges

Also, I wouldn't agree with the idea that "the real world tends towards one currency". In fact the real world tends towards diversity in all aspects. Just because you have "common" currencies doesn't mean they can't be diverse.

Re. this....

In other words, you have to deactivate bitcoins if you want to issue a new currency on a sidechain. This means that the new cryptocurrency is effectively backed by bitcoin. For example, you could freeze ten bitcoins and create 40 litecoins on a sidechain. Those litecoins then trade at 0.25 BTC rather than having their own exchange rate

...what's to stop the market independently valuing the sidechained alts where there are liquidity deficiencies in one sector and excesses in another ? I realise that Bitcoin's value just gets adjusted in response and everything evens itself out, but that's what happens at the moment anyway. I don't need to "lock up" any bitcoin to know that my alt currency is backed - I can see the exchange value in the markets.

Having sidechains dangling off Bitcoin just makes for a messy, ambiguous currency that's lost all its fungibility because some parts of the money supply are in demand and others aren't.

If you look at an alt currency like say Bitshares, you'll see that it already implements a concept like sidechains except much more elegantly in that it makes a proper distinction between economic value and technological value. Collateral in one currency is locked up against liquidity in another (just like sidechains proposes to do), there is no limit to the number of collateralised currencies (or "digital assets" as they're known) you can collateralise and they are potentially pegged (economically, not technologically) to a fiat value or other real world asset. The difference with bitcoin is that the Bitshares blockchain is *designed to support this economic model*. It supports all the mechanics required to properly collateralise and maintain the liquidity in the secondary asset currency. Not only that it can support a peg against an external asset (as opposed to sidechains which peg against bitcoin - the base asset) and allow it to inflate in exchange for a revaluation of the underlying currency.

All the sidechains concept is doing economically is backing an altcoin with bitcoin and guaranteeing the existence of the underlying collateral - something that can be done by 3rd party enterprises and markets (such as the Winky ETF).

bcoinbilly

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 11:10:00 PM

This is great advice. Sidechains are an innovative platform that will takeover a struggling ecosystem when problems arise and keep it built up for future generations to prosper with.
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 03:54:26 AM

Maybe coinbase should try some Alts

Why should they?

He is perfectly right. Altcoins are parasites leeching off Bitcoin's success. They don't have any merits or advantages over Bitcoin.

Yes! they clearly do not have any advantage over bitcoin and they never will!
But also some altcoins just cannot be ignored like LTC , Doge ...
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 04:45:45 AM

I think Armstrong is right about alts but think that side chains have an important role to play in making blockchain tech useful and scalable

TheMage

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:26:08 AM

Whats going on over here?  Wink

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 06:37:17 AM

Here's the world of alts, all 572 of them. How many still have active blockchain servers running? Below #294, MalibuCoin, the market cap is below $1000. Is anybody keeping the lights on for those losers? Somebody has to keep at least one miner running for each alt to keep its blockchain alive.

Below Bitcoin, Ripple, and Litecoin, it doesn't look good. Below Darkcoin at #5, there's so little volume you couldn't really trade them or use them.

Paycoin, at #10, is now down to 75 cents. Remember how the Paycoin price was going to be maintained above $20 by "strong hands"? Paycoin was a pump and dump; no question about that now.
maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:39:01 AM

Amen to that, Brian. Well said.

BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 1240

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 06:40:52 AM

Here's the world of alts, all 572 of them. How many still have active blockchain servers running? Below #294, MalibuCoin, the market cap is below $1000. Is anybody keeping the lights on for those losers? Somebody has to keep at least one miner running for each alt to keep its blockchain alive.

Below Bitcoin, Ripple, and Litecoin, it doesn't look good. Below Darkcoin at #5, there's so little volume you couldn't really trade them or use them.

Paycoin, at #10, is now down to 75 cents. Remember how the Paycoin price was going to be maintained above $20 by "strong hands"? Paycoin was a pump and dump; no question about that now.

CLAM is a interesting one to watch that is bellow your "radar".

Everyone who had Bitcoin, Litecoin or Dogecoin on May 12th 2014 already has CLAM.

Interesting test of PoS based on PoW.

I don't understand why people dislike Alts.  I mean Bitcoin is a alt currency as well really and it is a good thing that most of these Alts base of their value against Bitcoin.  

Plenty of people buy Bitcoin just to buy alts as well or use Bitcoin to cash out.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 07:22:30 AM

I don't understand why people dislike Alts.

+1
cuddaloreappu (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 03:51:09 PM

Litecoin creator's comment regarding this

http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/2x2f5z/charles_lees_response_to_brian_armstrongs_recent/
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 03:57:04 PM

Like I said - I've always seen Bitcoin as being "the one" and have had plenty of arguments in the distant past where I took your side.
"Distant" past? When would that be, three years ago? Or four?

Calling it now, bitcoin will account for 99%+ of all crypto transactions within five years.

Don't let yourself end up as a bagholder for some shitcoin, reader. You've been warned

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
croato

Activity: 616

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 05:06:01 PM

Sure Bitcoin is and will be main cryptocurrency, i dont think lot of alts will survive in long run, maybe few with some fancy feature like anon or faster coins for small transactions when Bitcoin becomes big.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 05:34:26 PM

Litecoin is a joke

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 05:53:19 PM

Litecoin is a joke

You know Litecoin is a joke when it's lead developer and creator stops developing for it:

The fact that Charlie Lee works for Coinbase, probably the largest Bitcoin based company, is a joke in itself.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 05:55:49 PM

Sure Bitcoin is and will be main cryptocurrency, i dont think lot of alts will survive in long run, maybe few with some fancy feature like anon or faster coins for small transactions when Bitcoin becomes big.

BTC is smaller and smaller.  aprox 200,000 unique BTC address are used per day. Part of these belong to the same owners(internal transfers). So, what is Bitcoin? Around of 100K users per day and a lot of media buzz Smiley
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 05:56:10 PM

Coinbase is a joke for hiring a shitcoiner, thankfully there's circle

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 05:58:46 PM

BTC is smaller and smaller.  aprox 200,000 unique BTC address are used per day. Part of these belong to the same owners(internal transfers). So, what is Bitcoin? Around of 100K users per day and a lot of media buzz Smiley

Wrong.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
mayax
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:02:38 PM

Litecoin is a joke

You know Litecoin is a joke when it's lead developer and creator stops developing for it:

The fact that Charlie Lee works for Coinbase, probably the largest Bitcoin based company, is a joke in itself.

that's correct. they all are a gang. they all are related. Don't you see? Smiley

Charlie Lee(Litecoin owner) works for Coinbase. Coinbase has shareholders same guys who are shareholders for Bitstamp, BTC-China, Ripple and many others.
The same shareholders are the sponsors for many news media websites which promote Bitcoins.

Take the ones from the so called "Foundation"(Bitcoin developers) and you will find that they are connected with the exchanges and their shareholders as well. Not that they know each other but the are interconnected by running the same businesses.

Only a very stupid person should not see the facts. Smiley
mayax
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:05:09 PM

BTC is smaller and smaller.  aprox 200,000 unique BTC addresses are used per day. Part of these belong to the same owners(internal transfers). So, what is Bitcoin? Around of 100K users per day and a lot of media buzz Smiley

Wrong.

please read again my post. it's saying unique BTC addresses not transactions.

And even so, do you think approx. 100K transactions per day is a success after all the media that BTC had during these years? it's a failed project Smiley

Imagine that other payment system would have these media exposure...I think it will have millions of transactions per days and at least 10 millions users in 5 years.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: