Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:29:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will data carry over?  (Read 2823 times)
nahtnam (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 06:26:57 AM

Hey!

Just wondering if things like activity, post count, and time logged in will be carried over into the new forum system?

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 06:35:18 AM

yes, everything will be transferred.
Zawamiya

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 06:45:52 AM

i think yes it will applied to next software
btw when they are releasing this , i though it was feb 2015 but its almost passed
Madness

Activity: 644

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 09:51:24 AM

Hey!

Just wondering if things like activity, post count, and time logged in will be carried over into the new forum system?

Thanks.

You mean our informations ? or the features in general ? if you mean the features then yes , you can see this document right here : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bHlm4NQkSzaBTT5tLIqQBmV92wSsbdOX5r-dRR9Dgg0/edit?usp=sharing

If you mean our informations (our activity and post counts etc ...) then Yes too . the Database will be merged to the new software .

~ Madness

HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 09:42:48 PM

Yes, all of the features, threads, and users will be carried over to the new forum.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 08:37:09 AM

Yes, all of the features, threads, and users will be carried over to the new forum.

I don't know but users who aren't inactive after 2011 and probably 2012 shouldn't be carried to new forum or atleast Newbies and Jr. Members except important persons and early testers, eg:- Satoshi. So we can use that names.

-MZ

taesup

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 11:33:51 PM

As a confirmation, we're working really hard to make sure as much of the data is carried over. The only thing we can't carry over is passwords, so when you first log on to the new forum, you'll need to set a new password.

This will probably be done over email so make sure the email you have registered with THIS forum is your email and not ... say a burner email account like mailinator or something like that.

I am a Epochtalk (New Forum Software) Developer.
nahtnam (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 12:08:33 AM

As a confirmation, we're working really hard to make sure as much of the data is carried over. The only thing we can't carry over is passwords, so when you first log on to the new forum, you'll need to set a new password.

This will probably be done over email so make sure the email you have registered with THIS forum is your email and not ... say a burner email account like mailinator or something like that.

K. Thanks for the update.

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 10:17:06 AM

Thanks for the update! Will the hashing function be the same? SHA-256?

This should probably told before to the users by sending a mass PM using a bot and a 'password meter' would be good IMHO.

-MZ

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:05:18 PM

I don't think email is a good way for users to create new passwords for their account. I am fairly sure that there are no small number of users who have used a fake/invalid email address to be associated with their account.

It should be trivial for most people to simply change their email address associated with their account however there are probably a good number of people who will not be active around the time the new forum goes live which means they could permanently be locked out of their account.
taesup

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 01:18:13 AM

I don't think email is a good way for users to create new passwords for their account. I am fairly sure that there are no small number of users who have used a fake/invalid email address to be associated with their account.

It should be trivial for most people to simply change their email address associated with their account however there are probably a good number of people who will not be active around the time the new forum goes live which means they could permanently be locked out of their account.

I'm not sure what to say. If you don't have a valid email, there's no way to securing send you the link to register your password with the new forum. If you have a better idea, I'm more than happy to listen. If a user hasn't been using their account on the forum for a long time... well chances are they haven't been using the site much either. Either way, they can always just make a new account.

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 06:28:06 AM

I'm not sure what to say. If you don't have a valid email, there's no way to securing send you the link to register your password with the new forum. If you have a better idea, I'm more than happy to listen. If a user hasn't been using their account on the forum for a long time... well chances are they haven't been using the site much either. Either way, they can always just make a new account.

What about the activity, trust, posts etc... the user has earned? Would it move from old account to new account if user provide a signed message? But wouldn't it make this worst?

-MZ

taesup

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 12:16:00 PM

What about the activity, trust, posts etc... the user has earned? Would it move from old account to new account if user provide a signed message? But wouldn't it make this worst?

-MZ

That's all easily moved over. The point is that when the user's password is hashed in the old DB. We aren't going to just copy that over, the user will need to access a link and that link needs to be sent over securely. Email is the best option right now.

Madness

Activity: 644

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 12:20:30 PM

-MZ

That's all easily moved over. The point is that when the user's password is hashed in the old DB. We aren't going to just copy that over, the user will need to access a link and that link needs to be sent over securely. Email is the best option right now.

Since you are here taesup , can you please give a hint when the Beta release or the Final release are going to be available for us please Shocked
Just estimated like May-December or whatever .
~ Madnes

onemorebtc

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 12:20:42 PM

why not?
if you use a different hash algo you may just have a flag which recalcutes after first login

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 03:50:47 PM

-MZ

| taesup |

This , you are right. Maybe before the migration in the new forum you can add a simple message to the top page (near the forum username):

"Remember to put a valid email, or you will lose your forum account during the migration to the new forum software."
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 03:57:09 PM

why not?
if you use a different hash algo you may just have a flag which recalcutes after first login

Copying might leads to errors which will lead to further big problems. So better to be in 'safe zone'.

| taesup |

This , you are right. Maybe before the migration in the new forum you can add a simple message to the top page (near the forum username):

"Remember to put a valid email, or you will lose your forum account during the migration to the new forum software."

+10.

-MZ

taesup

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:29:15 AM

-MZ

Since you are here taesup , can you please give a hint when the Beta release or the Final release are going to be available for us please Shocked
Just estimated like May-December or whatever .
~ Madnes

I can't really say but I will say that we're close.

taesup

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:30:50 AM

why not?

Mostly because we won't have access to it.

Monnt
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 09:23:10 AM

Will the new forum have the same activity/trust system as the old one?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: