Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:26:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Money Drop For The Homeless  (Read 6832 times)
MrDove (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 09:22:48 PM

No website or page with info for non-bitcointalk members?

I'm sending you a PM. I'll be happy to help promote this where I can and I trust OgNasty's judgement, but if I'm going to vouch for you myself, I'll need a little direct confirmation that you are legit. I hope you don't take offense but I've been burned before.

No website or anything yet. We want to see if we are capable of pulling this event off before trying to turn it into a charity organization instead of a charity event. No offense about wanting our identities. I am not sure we want to trust just anyone with our identifications but if that is holding back donations then we could ask OgNasty to release our identities to a donator if we fail to deliver a video of a money drop.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 10:53:12 PM

I'm sending you a PM. I'll be happy to help promote this where I can and I trust OgNasty's judgement, but if I'm going to vouch for you myself, I'll need a little direct confirmation that you are legit. I hope you don't take offense but I've been burned before.

No website or anything yet. We want to see if we are capable of pulling this event off before trying to turn it into a charity organization instead of a charity event. No offense about wanting our identities. I am not sure we want to trust just anyone with our identifications but if that is holding back donations then we could ask OgNasty to release our identities to a donator if we fail to deliver a video of a money drop.

I understand your reservations but you might have already reached the limit of what this community will donate. Threads get buried quickly so even if there are more members who might contribute, they might never see it. Exposure elsewhere may be necessary to reach your minimum.

It's a fine line, I agree. Raising too much poses its own set of problems.

Still around.
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 11:10:37 PM

Event like this can possibly cause stampede where some old and young people can possibly get hurt and even death. If you drop this in my place.

I suspect you have had very little interaction with true homeless people if you believe they will stampede over dollars. That is what rich people do. Homeless people are generally very appreciative and supportive of one another in these types of environments. I suggest you take some time yourself to visit with some homeless people in your area. You might be surprised by their generosity.

Please watch this to gain some perspective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPdqtktkZn0
Honestly this is an awesome idea and I hope everything works out, for all of us.  I've donated a couple of dollars... but I don't think that's enough, I'll definitely donate more once the first "drop" happens and all goes well.

Cheers,
monbux
waterpile

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 02:41:48 AM

I understand your reservations but you might have already reached the limit of what this community will donate. Threads get buried quickly so even if there are more members who might contribute, they might never see it. Exposure elsewhere may be necessary to reach your minimum.

It's a fine line, I agree. Raising too much poses its own set of problems.

I agree, they might try a free sig campaign. let some members do a free advertisement
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 05:32:13 AM

At worst this sounds like an awful scam. At best this is terribly insensitive way to help the homeless.

How arrogant of you to drop money from the sky over homeless people or poor areas. You don't have any respect for those you help.

Equinoxx

Activity: 742

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 06:54:02 AM

At worst this sounds like an awful scam. At best this is terribly insensitive way to help the homeless.

How arrogant of you to drop money from the sky over homeless people or poor areas. You don't have any respect for those you help.

Did you even watch this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4JBAdIdBtM

-.sgmf
Erza
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:47:44 AM

Im gonna help that poor ppl there altough i can't give much

What a good service, never tought that you will do this kind of service

Nice job MrDove
Equinoxx

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:49:09 AM

Im gonna help that poor ppl there altough i can't give much

What a good service, never tought that you will do this kind of service

Nice job MrDove

Even you can't give a lot, it's okay. At the end of the day you are giving and that's what it's all about.

-.sgmf
monbux
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 03:16:20 PM

I'm starting to think now that maybe dropping money isn't the best option.  They could be dropping other stuff, like food as Equinoxx shared in that video.  Or clothes.  Just a thought.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 03:19:47 PM

I'm starting to think now that maybe dropping money isn't the best option.  They could be dropping other stuff, like food as Equinoxx shared in that video.  Or clothes.  Just a thought.

Money is usually a universal salve. Clothes may not fit, food allergies may be a concern, etc, but money is almost always accepted.

Still around.
snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 06:20:48 PM

I have mixed feelings about how the delivery is happening but think overall it is a good thing rather than anything negative. I have to subscribe to this thread though and will try to send a small donation when I can.

MrDove (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 06:22:31 PM

I respect your opinion. We are not trying to be arrogant. We are trying to encourage people to donate money directly to the less fortunate by making it seem fun.

Drones cannot carry much weight and you do not want to drop heavy objects on people. We thought dollar bills would not be threatening.
monbux
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 06:25:04 PM

I respect your opinion. We are not trying to be arrogant. We are trying to encourage people to donate money directly to the less fortunate by making it seem fun.

I'm starting to think now that maybe dropping money isn't the best option.  They could be dropping other stuff, like food as Equinoxx shared in that video.  Or clothes.  Just a thought.

Drones cannot carry much weight and you do not want to drop heavy objects on people. We thought dollar bills would not be threatening.
haha, very true, but I was thinking like something in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4JBAdIdBtM
Do you have any dates planned, any estimates of when the first "drop" will happen?
Wardrick
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 04:34:14 AM

The picture that comes to mind when you say you are "Dropping dollar bills" is a drone overhead dropping a bunch of money and a bunch of people scrambling to try to get it and fighting over it. Hopefully the delivery method will be planned out as this would be very sad to see.
Equinoxx

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 05:17:57 AM

The picture that comes to mind when you say you are "Dropping dollar bills" is a drone overhead dropping a bunch of money and a bunch of people scrambling to try to get it and fighting over it. Hopefully the delivery method will be planned out as this would be very sad to see.

Op has said that the people that receive the money will be less aggressive and more appreciative.

-.sgmf
KaChingCoinDev

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 07:18:04 PM

Really? This is arrogant of you to barge in to someones thread and call them a scam, when OgNasty has reviewed it and declared it legit! And then, if it is not a scam, you are calling it insensitive? They will be dropping money via a drone to help homeless people, and to boot they will be walking around before hand giving out snack bars. You have no respect for people trying to do a good deed.
Nautica

Activity: 59
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 07:43:34 PM

This is a terrible, disrespectful, insensitive way to "help". Please just give it directly to them, don't make them hop around scrounging for scraps. Are you going to also film and broadcast the natural selection at play where the most physically fit of the homeless get the most cash? This is just frightening. You are certainly well intentioned but goddamn pull your head out of your ass on this. besides you would be wasting a good portion of the cash to natural phenomenon this way. come on.
MrDove (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 08:35:10 PM

Please just give it directly to them

That would not make for a very exciting video. Please read what we are hoping to acheive. If you would like to make a video showing you donating to the homeless we would love to see it.
Nautica

Activity: 59
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 08:46:49 PM

That would not make for a very exciting video. Please read what we are hoping to acheive. If you would like to make a video showing you donating to the homeless we would love to see it.
Not planning on doing that. I don't see what I have to do with anything. I didn't post a thread saying I was going to give money to the homeless, you did. We're talking about your project since you came on a public forum and posted a goddamn thread about it. Now stop dodging people's comments. Parachuting the money is a terrible idea. You are reducing the plight of the homeless to a circus show. Do you want to help the homeless or make an exciting video? Is watching homeless people struggle and jump around trying to reach for falling banknotes your idea of "exciting"? Here's how you can make it exciting: find a girl with huge tits and film her donating the money. That's still more dignifying.
yahoo62278
Legendary

Activity: 3584
Merit: 4420

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 09:44:44 PM

are you anywhere near the amount you are looking for yet? i really thought this would take off with a few members supporting it.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄