Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:25:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KNCMINER Jupiter Hardware Repairs  (Read 2646 times)
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 08:41:55 PM

Sorry for making an new thread but it doesn't seem like anyone read the KNC Forum or the other threads in this forum.

I have a few KNC Jupiters. Some of the modules have bad VRMs which result in decreased hashrate. I have one module which has 8 VRMS and all of my other modules only have 4 VRMS. All the 8 VRMS are working.

Can I desolder the VRMs from the 8 VRMS board and use those 4 to power up the modules with the dead VRMS?

I know its surface mount solder but I have the right tools and experience to swap out there parts.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
J4bberwock

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 08:49:00 PM

Sorry for making an new thread but it doesn't seem like anyone read the KNC Forum or the other threads in this forum.

I have a few KNC Jupiters. Some of the modules have bad VRMs which result in decreased hashrate. I have one module which has 8 VRMS and all of my other modules only have 4 VRMS. All the 8 VRMS are working.

Can I desolder the VRMs from the 8 VRMS board and use those 4 to power up the modules with the dead VRMS?

I know its surface mount solder but I have the right tools and experience to swap out there parts.

I don't know how is the design on those, but if you have the reference on the VRM, you'd better order some, or at least try to request some "samples" from the manufacturers.
I've got a few tps53355 for free by simply requesting them.
It's always better to replace with new parts.
And by making the 8 VRM unit running on 4 VRM, you'll stress them, with higher failure risks.

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 09:40:04 AM

I don't know how is the design on those, but if you have the reference on the VRM, you'd better order some, or at least try to request some "samples" from the manufacturers.
I've got a few tps53355 for free by simply requesting them.
It's always better to replace with new parts.
And by making the 8 VRM unit running on 4 VRM, you'll stress them, with higher failure risks.

I looked but unfortunately you can't buy the VRM anywhere. There is a place online but they are $30 each and the min order quantity is 1000 units.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
djbert

Activity: 462
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 03:38:34 PM

Did you ever get some answer on this? I am in the same boat and I want to replace some bad VRMs with good ones, so I can get some modules back up to full speed.  I tried de-soldering a VRM already and I couldn't get it so soften up to be removed. However, I was using a small head tip, so that may have been my problem then, but I am also not sure changing the VRM is the only this I need to do....
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 09:12:35 PM

Did you ever get some answer on this? I am in the same boat and I want to replace some bad VRMs with good ones, so I can get some modules back up to full speed.  I tried de-soldering a VRM already and I couldn't get it so soften up to be removed. However, I was using a small head tip, so that may have been my problem then, but I am also not sure changing the VRM is the only this I need to do....

Better to buy from me 6 used november patch Jupiter modules.

Buy 6 and I give +1 free for parts.

Shipping from EU to EU only.
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 09:23:42 PM

You need to use a hot air rework station to desolder, since its surface mount. It takes a very long time to heat up the solder since the points are big.

I left it the way it is because a module with 4 working VRMS uses almost the same power consumption as a module with 3 working VRMS. This is only a good job if you need the room for the extra module. So I just left it the way it was.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
helmax

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 01:56:30 AM

anyone on europe repair neptunes?

looking job
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 04:27:44 PM

It would be better to buy VRM's are convert all your units to 8 VRMs

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 09:21:25 PM

It would be better to buy VRM's are convert all your units to 8 VRMs

Yes except a single VRM costs around $50. So unless you can get some from a dead board, not worth the effort.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 02:37:34 AM

Get a Neptune instead  Cheesy

djbert

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 02:01:07 PM

Did you ever get some answer on this? I am in the same boat and I want to replace some bad VRMs with good ones, so I can get some modules back up to full speed.  I tried de-soldering a VRM already and I couldn't get it so soften up to be removed. However, I was using a small head tip, so that may have been my problem then, but I am also not sure changing the VRM is the only this I need to do....

You need to use a hot air rework station to desolder, since its surface mount. It takes a very long time to heat up the solder since the points are big.

I left it the way it is because a module with 4 working VRMS uses almost the same power consumption as a module with 3 working VRMS. This is only a good job if you need the room for the extra module. So I just left it the way it was.

thanks for the input, however i don't have the equipment to properly de-solder surface mounted chips, so i am basically going to leave them as is. I was actually thinking of chopping the vrm's  off the board with a needle nose snipper or a dremel, leaving just enough metal leg exposed to basically solder a replacement VRM right on top of that. It would look ugly as hell, but it should work in theory, but maybe not with 25 amps following through continuously. With a shady solder job like that, it will probably melt the board or burn up the chip, or both  Shocked

Well I actually have 5 Jupiter November boards with 2 sequential VRMs dead each, so i basically have 1 die dead on each module. I also have one better one, with a few dead cores on one die on it, so combining them all together, i should have get around 700-ish GH/sec out of all of them. I am sure i can get up to 900-ish GH/sec overclocking even these limpy modules, so i will be good with that.

I then have 7 more modules with 4 or more VRMs dead and/or dead dies/cores, and i was hoping to cannibalize parts off those guys to get the other modules 100%; oh well.

well if i try to Frankenstein a replacement VRM on these modules in the future and it doesn't burn up, i will post those results here.  Cool
djbert

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 02:10:11 PM

Get a Neptune instead  Cheesy

i would if i could, but they are still overprice secondhand in my opinion, however the ones that seem to be in my price zone looked like they were ran ragged. They probably have dead vrms and/or cores as well and i don't want anyone elses trash basically.

However, i have free power currently, so i have been snatching up Jupiter modules at bargain basement prices on ebay right now. Once i get this next batch of limpy modules up (need a 6 port controller...ahh ebay), that should bring me up to around 4 TH/sec...that is 24 Jupiter modules!  Cool And let me tell you, that room with those running in it is HOT HOT HOT! lol

It is also nice to know that the controllers i have been getting work with the neptunes as well, so if any fall in my lap sometime in the future, i will be able to get those going right out the gate.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 03:27:33 AM

i would if i could, but they are still overprice secondhand in my opinion, however the ones that seem to be in my price zone looked like they were ran ragged. They probably have dead vrms and/or cores as well and i don't want anyone elses trash basically.

However, i have free power currently, so i have been snatching up Jupiter modules at bargain basement prices on ebay right now. Once i get this next batch of limpy modules up (need a 6 port controller...ahh ebay), that should bring me up to around 4 TH/sec...that is 24 Jupiter modules!  Cool And let me tell you, that room with those running in it is HOT HOT HOT! lol

It is also nice to know that the controllers i have been getting work with the neptunes as well, so if any fall in my lap sometime in the future, i will be able to get those going right out the gate.

What a difference, I have one box of bonus neptune that has never opened because of no extra space, if you are in sweden I can sell to you but don't want to mail it, too heavy

Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 11:44:13 AM

What a difference, I have one box of bonus neptune that has never opened because of no extra space, if you are in sweden I can sell to you but don't want to mail it, too heavy

You must be very happy, if this "bonus"  is 100% functional.
djbert

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 12:57:34 PM

sorry I am in Japan currently, so I cant pick them up. thank you though! =)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: