Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:42:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 dead PSUs, there HAS to be a commonly failing component  (Read 2815 times)
Fuzzy (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 01:49:30 AM

In the past year I've had over 4 "out of warranty" PSUs die on me. A 750w Silverstone, 450w and 480w Antecs, a 400w Enermax and a few no name ones.

So now I've got a box of dead PSUs and I'm thinking, there's got to be a particular component that's responsible for a large portion of the failures.

And yeah, I've heard all the "Deadly Internal voltage" warnings etc. I always wait a day before opening one up, but I've pulled apart quite a few to recover the fans, so now I'm looking to actually repair them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 02:14:06 AM

There are a number of possibilities, including dirty power at your location as the most likely suspect. Transients, harmonics and brownouts will reduce the lifespan of PSUs, and such anomalies can be caused by a number of factors including under-spec wiring, large motors being started, unfiltered VFD/inverter drives, other inductive loads such as UPS units, and more.

It's also possible that some component in your systems is causing an issue, such as component(s) with inordinately high leakage causing out-of-spec power draw and additional heat.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Shirik

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 02:18:39 AM

If your PSUs actually meet the ATX power design guidelines, then it's highly unlikely that anything inside your system is causing the problem. Power supplies are supposed to be built with a very large number of protections that would prevent it from being damaged (and prevent it from damaging anything). I would be very suspect of the power going into the PSU, though. It may be wise to invest in a small UPS that provides power conditioning.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 03:41:21 AM

In the past year I've had over 4 "out of warranty" PSUs die on me. A 750w Silverstone, 450w and 480w Antecs, a 400w Enermax and a few no name ones.

So now I've got a box of dead PSUs and I'm thinking, there's got to be a particular component that's responsible for a large portion of the failures.

And yeah, I've heard all the "Deadly Internal voltage" warnings etc. I always wait a day before opening one up, but I've pulled apart quite a few to recover the fans, so now I'm looking to actually repair them.

old but still valid.

My experience is bad caps or bad fans causing heat and switching transistor failures.  It is usually not worth attempting to fix a PS below 700W. 

http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/spies.cgi?action=url&type=info&page=psrepair.txt

jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 12:37:07 AM

the common component is the pilot.  Purchasing under powered cheap PSU's.   most psu are advertising peak wattage, not constant wattage output.

buy SeaSonics and be done with it.  

i have a bunch of these..  2 to a big rig: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 12:41:26 AM

Buy a voltage conditioner. I have one for all of my machines.
fabrizziop

Activity: 506
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 02:32:18 AM

Get an online UPS if you're paranoid. How did those PSUs die?. Open them up(properly discharging capacitors, I'm not responsible for death) and use your nose to try to localize a burnt component. Normally when I repair PSUs I see capacitor failures, normally that's the only thing connecting PSUs, hot environments reduce capacitors lifespan, and some Antec PSUs are known to have bad capacitors. 
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 03:00:31 AM

And yeah, I've heard all the "Deadly Internal voltage" warnings etc. I always wait a day before opening one up,

Capacitors store energy until they are discharged, which can be months later when you touch them while working on it...
They also leak their charges out naturally, especially if a sane designer included a shunt resistor of appropriate value.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 09:45:07 AM

Months? I did not know that and did open a few PSUs. Am I lucky to be alive?  Grin

How do you properly discharge them then?

Signature space available for rent.
_Vince_

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 04:42:38 PM

Only two very big capacitors at the input stage (220v) are dangerous.

Good news is the capacitors do not hold much charge; you can short-circuit them with a screw-driver. There will be some small sparks, but not much. Of course do not hold the metal part of the screw-driver, or you will be screwed.

These capacitors are nothing compare to audio capacitors (10000 uF+); they can explode like mini grenades
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 02:27:49 AM

slightly off topic: When I was younger I was taking apart a disposable camera with a flash... Well somehow I touched something on this camera and it blew me away, about 6 feet away on to my back.... My hand was covered in blisters.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 02:44:30 AM

old but still valid.

My experience is bad caps or bad fans causing heat and switching transistor failures.  It is usually not worth attempting to fix a PS below 700W. 

http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/spies.cgi?action=url&type=info&page=psrepair.txt

I read that before, the author said "I repair lots of power supplies and it's really quite easy and practical" but I felt the opposite after further reading...
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 03:10:20 AM

old but still valid.

I read that before, the author said "I repair lots of power supplies and it's really quite easy and practical" but I felt the opposite after further reading...
Bear in mind that it was written in sometime around 1998.

Ilikeham

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 01:13:06 PM

The common denominator there is all those PSU's are crap or underpowered. No offense.

The Antecs are great budget PSU's for casual rigs but high temps and high draw will shorten their life up a lot.

Number one thing you need when mining is good power supply. I've stuck with PC Power and Cooling and their seven year warranty and they'd yet to have to help me because they are all still working as advertised.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 01:35:20 PM

old but still valid.

Bear in mind that it was written in sometime around 1998.
yes, nowadays we just send those crap back to China as scrap metal and they'll take care of it for us Smiley
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 06:42:56 PM

The common denominator there is all those PSU's are crap or underpowered. No offense.

The Antecs are great budget PSU's for casual rigs but high temps and high draw will shorten their life up a lot.

Number one thing you need when mining is good power supply. I've stuck with PC Power and Cooling and their seven year warranty and they'd yet to have to help me because they are all still working as advertised.

Just disconnect the fan from the PSU controller and connect it directly to the 12v so it's always spinning at 1500+RPM...  I find heat to be a big killer

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 07:21:52 PM

The main thing I found is to keep at or below 70%  of the PSU's max output.

If you need 700 watts,use a 1000 watt PSU,at least  Roll Eyes

I had an 800 watt Kingwin,2 1/2 years old when I started mining with 2 6970's.My system,while mining used 640 watts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121026

Guess what,it lasted about 3 months.I RMA'd it (3 year warranty) & they sent me a 1000 watter.No more problems  Grin I even use less wattage,only 25 watts,but less is better.

Thier RMA process was confusing,so I complained about it & said I was going to buy another PSU (1000 watter) from another manufacturer if we couldn't work this out.

2 weeks later,after sending my dead unit back,I got a package,but they upgraded it to the 1000 watter for the "inconvienence"  Cool  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121037

They even called a week later to make sure I was happy  Grin

BTW,I've used about 7 Kingwins in gaming builds & none have died,2 of them are going on 4 years old  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 07:38:46 PM

The main thing I found is to keep at or below 70%  of the PSU's max output.

If you need 700 watts,use a 1000 watt PSU,at least  Roll Eyes

I had an 800 watt Kingwin,2 1/2 years old when I started mining with 2 6970's.My system,while mining used 640 watts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121026

Guess what,it lasted about 3 months.I RMA'd it (3 year warranty) & they sent me a 1000 watter.No more problems  Grin I even use less wattage,only 25 watts,but less is better.

Thier RMA process was confusing,so I complained about it & said I was going to buy another PSU (1000 watter) from another manufacturer if we couldn't work this out.

2 weeks later,after sending my dead unit back,I got a package,but they upgraded it to the 1000 watter for the "inconvienence"  Cool  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121037

They even called a week later to make sure I was happy  Grin

BTW,I've used about 7 Kingwins in gaming builds & none have died,2 of them are going on 4 years old  Wink

if you use SeaSonic, you dont have to worry bout % of use. it is rated at the advertised wattage for 100%uptime

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 02:54:43 AM

Hey, did you check the continuity of the fuse that is in your PS?

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 03:32:42 PM

slightly off topic: When I was younger I was taking apart a disposable camera with a flash... Well somehow I touched something on this camera and it blew me away, about 6 feet away on to my back.... My hand was covered in blisters.

really? did you figure out what it was. does someone know?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: