Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:08:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-e Hacked by Russians!! Price hits $60/BTC!!!  (Read 5021 times)
mc_lovin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 02:09:42 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2012, 09:34:27 PM by mc_lovin

You guys watching this right now?  EPIC.

btc-e.com

edit: locking my thread, there's others like it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mc_lovin (OP)
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 02:11:41 AM

terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 02:12:27 AM

YEAH LET'S MAKE ANOTHER THREAD

EDIT: IN THE CURRENCY EXCHANGE SECTION
mc_lovin (OP)
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 02:16:03 AM

YEAH LET'S MAKE ANOTHER THREAD

EDIT: IN THE CURRENCY EXCHANGE SECTION
Isn't it.. a currency exchange?
mc_lovin (OP)
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 02:24:04 AM

The categories on bitcointalk make no sense.. I post about a Currency Exchange in Currency Exchange and get moved to Service Discussion, when the discussion on this currency exchange service is taking place in speculation?
terrytibbs

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 02:31:37 AM

The categories on bitcointalk make no sense.. I post about a Currency Exchange in Currency Exchange and get moved to Service Discussion, when the discussion on this currency exchange service is taking place in speculation?
Discussion about BTC-E takes place in the general marketplace section, which is perfectly valid: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40889.0
The thread in speculation is about the recent huge buy/hack/whatchamacallit.
This section is for actual OTC trading, not layman speculation.
mc_lovin (OP)
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 02:33:28 AM

Discussion about BTC-E takes place in the general marketplace section, which is perfectly valid: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40889.0

The Service Discussion section is for OTC trading?
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 02:35:08 AM

Bwaa ha ha ha! BTC-E is going DOWN BITCHES!

I knew it wouldn't last!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
terrytibbs

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 02:35:40 AM

Sorry, I meant Currency Exchange. Somehow I disregarded the fact that the thread was moved when making that post. You get my point, though.
mc_lovin (OP)
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 02:39:45 AM

Sorry, I meant Currency Exchange. Somehow I disregarded the fact that the thread was moved when making that post. You get my point, though.

I totally get your point, I was just being a smartass Wink
AndyRossy

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:45:55 AM

A block with 94k BTC of trades just after the hack 191622, gut feeling the money's gone AWOL.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 04:02:08 AM

When Gox got hacked in June 2011, the media frequently reported as fact that the value of BTC's dropped to a penny.

What will happen when the media reports as a matter of fact that the value of BTC's just eclipsed their all-time high?  That alone will make a lot of people say "holy shit" and take a double-take, even if it's total bullshit.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:07:03 AM

When Gox got hacked in June 2011, the media frequently reported as fact that the value of BTC's dropped to a penny.

What will happen when the media reports as a matter of fact that the value of BTC's just eclipsed their all-time high?  That alone will make a lot of people say "holy shit" and take a double-take, even if it's total bullshit.

If Bitcoin had a PR department you could spin this as "USD suffer a massive hack today* and in the flight to safety Bitcoin spiked to an all time high.  Bitcoin the new reserve currency for the world's reserve currency?"

* Technically the hackers actions could be best described as counterfeiting USD dollars.  Those counterfeit USD were then used to buy BTC.
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:17:37 AM

* Technically the hackers actions could be best described as counterfeiting USD dollars.  Those counterfeit USD were then used to buy BTC.

This argument is a good one for getting LE involved in the US... but I doubt you can make the theft=counterfeiting argument successfully enough in this case.

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:19:36 AM

They didn't steal any USD.  They added fake USD to their account and used that to purchase goods (BTC) leaving the victims stuck with counterfeit USD.  

I agree the Secret Service likely won't investigate it because a) nobody will ask them to and b) the exchange in is another country.
BoardGameCoin

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:27:02 AM

I didn't realize that everyone's USD account balances were untouched... interesting. Are you aware of any case law relating to exploiting electronic representations of dollars elsewhere? I'd be interested... I think such things would probably have bearing on the eventual regulation of exchanges.

-bgc

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:40:31 AM

I didn't realize that everyone's USD account balances were untouched... interesting. Are you aware of any case law relating to exploiting electronic representations of dollars elsewhere? I'd be interested... I think such things would probably have bearing on the eventual regulation of exchanges.

No idea but I am sure someone somewhere has falsified their USD balance on a brokerage account, or other non bank financial entity (like PayPal).  My guess is that despite these not being banks the Secret Service would investigate.  That would be your precedent.  Maybe some lawyer type can find something. 
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:52:07 AM

No idea but I am sure someone somewhere has falsified their USD balance on a brokerage account, or other non bank financial entity (like PayPal).  My guess is that despite these not being banks the Secret Service would investigate.  That would be your precedent.  Maybe some lawyer type can find something. 

I am going to guess stolen credit cards.
BoardGameCoin

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:57:19 AM

At least for this recent case of fraud: http://www.arabnews.com/prosecutor-iowa-based-ceo-carried-out-200m-fraud, the FBI investigated and it was viewed as embezzlement/fraud not counterfeiting. Here it was an insider, I'm curious how an external attacker's actions would be prosecuted.

EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 05:08:16 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2012, 05:27:42 AM by EnergyVampire

I believe the U.S. Secret Service only gets involved when the physical paper currencies are involved. So say, someone is printing counterfeit Greenbacks in their basement, stuffing them into envelopes and mailing them out to purchase bitcoins from unsuspecting forum users.

Eventually, those counterfeits will provide the agents a nice collection of fingerprints and DNA to start busting down doors.

Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 12:43:11 PM

from https://btc-e.com/news/81:

Dear users of the Exchange Btc-e.com

The exchange is not going to close. We will refund all losses from our reserves.

Neither the servers nor the database were compromised. There were no SQL injections.

At 04:07 MSK (GMT+4) our LR API Secret Key was compromised. It's 16 uppercase, lowercase letters and digits. They may have bruteforced it for long.

Using the key the hacker imitated LR deposits from many accounts and bought up Bitcoins, Namecoins and Litecoins.

We lost our daily volume, approx. 4500 BTC. The attacker couldn't withdraw more
as most BTC were distributed over several offline wallets.

At 10:30 we restored the database to the state it was at 04:00, right before the attack. All trades after 4:00 are reverted.

People who attempted withdrawals before 04:00 MSK will get their funds withdrawn later today.

For people who deposited BTC, LTC and NMC after 04:00 MSK the funds will be put to their balances before market opens.
We are working on the scripts for this.

If you deposited USD after 04:00 MSK you should send us your login, amount and payment system used by email or PM.

Our plan:

1. The trade will be disabled until we restore the balances to the point before market crash.

2. After that, the trade and deposit/withdrawal will be back on, approx. within 1-2 days.

Icq - 610112128
Skype - btc-e.support
E-mail - support@btc-e.com

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: