Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:55:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSA] Public Service Announcement - Regarding all Gift Codes sold here  (Read 6014 times)
jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 01:12:35 PM

You are right.  It doesn't take a genius to figure out these guys selling $1000's or tens of $1000 worth of Starbucks cards at 30% of face value to figure out they are using stolen credit cards.  I have tried to warn people as well that they are involving themselves in credit card fraud, and that people go to jail for that.  Someone somewhere is paying the price for their cheap coffee...
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
geoffreyqp

Activity: 712

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:42:59 AM

I don't think it's fair to label every single person selling discounted gift cards as blackhat. Many people receive these at gifts or through discounts (for their birthday, christmas, from their work, etc.) and are willing to sell at a discount because they don't plan on using it. I have personally sold gift cards at a discount because I value the freedom of cash over the purchasing power of the gift card.

the thing is amazon gift cards are a commodity. they can be put on craigslist and easily be sold for ~90% face value. even more on ebay. so why would one offer 25% off...

he does have a point though about him having used the same account on amazon for all these orders. going back how far? i'd like to see proof of this.
Reynaldo
Legendary

Activity: 1143
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:05:39 PM

Amazon4u,  mods don't have time for that let a trusted escrow confirm the orders.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 05:57:23 PM

Starbucks and Amazon carded gift cards are being sold here almost daily and people are buying them indirectly supporting this fraud. It needs to be stopped to save the forum's reputation as many just come here to sell their illegitimate goods which does not give out a good name of this forum.

jcoin200

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 12:16:17 PM

Starbucks and Amazon carded gift cards are being sold here almost daily and people are buying them indirectly supporting this fraud. It needs to be stopped to save the forum's reputation as many just come here to sell their illegitimate goods which does not give out a good name of this forum.

The forum rules clearly state that illegal goods are not allowed, yet the mods do nothing to stop these people.  And people aren't indirectly supporting fraud, they are DIRECTLY supporting it.  Plus if they couldn't get un-reversable (and anonymous) payments in BTC, they would have a much harder time peddling their stolen goods.  Stop buying from these scam artists.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 12:30:38 PM

The forum rules clearly state that illegal goods are not allowed, yet the mods do nothing to stop these people.  And people aren't indirectly supporting fraud, they are DIRECTLY supporting it.  Plus if they couldn't get un-reversable (and anonymous) payments in BTC, they would have a much harder time peddling their stolen goods.  Stop buying from these scam artists.

I asked the mods few days back about selling these illegal goods and they said that there is no way for them to find that the gift card is stolen. When the sellers specify that the cards are going to expire, isn't that obvious to the members and mods?

I don't buy these cards in any case but am saddened by the amount of fraud going on here.

jcoin200

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 12:41:24 PM

I asked the mods few days back about selling these illegal goods and they said that there is no way for them to find that the gift card is stolen. When the sellers specify that the cards are going to expire, isn't that obvious to the members and mods?

I don't buy these cards in any case but am saddened by the amount of fraud going on here.

Yeah the mere fact they are expected to go bad and are replaced with no questions asked (and replaced for free) shows that they aren't legit.  Anyone with half a brain can see that.  And I think people have called starbucks and they were given the explanation that the cards were shut down "due to fraud."  That should be enough for the mods.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: