Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:20:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A huge test of the majority peoples feeling about deflation  (Read 2459 times)
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 06:53:30 PM

Sure, it could be broken. But if we accept Bitcoin is destined to be a "success" as a currency we have to accept the fact that policy-wise it'll ultimately succumb to the nature of man and his government.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:19:48 PM

Sure, it could be broken. But if we accept Bitcoin is destined to be a "success" as a currency we have to accept the fact that policy-wise it'll ultimately succumb to the nature of man and his government.

Fair enough. Let's wait and see. Except, I won't be waiting doing nothing, I'll be using Bitcoin.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 09:03:57 PM

After block reward is 0, miners will process payments for tx fees. more blocks = more fees. They'll have little or no incentive to do single transaction blocks, but there will be plenty of incentive to process transactions.

As to government mandating fees in clients.... That's just silly. They tried a similar strategy with Napster... and now nobody actually uses Napster.

Your crystal ball isn't just broken, it's fuckin' with you.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 11:23:21 PM

The only thing that matters about the deflationary aspects of Bitcoin is that eventually miners will have little to no incentive to mine. Every non-miner Bitcoiner thinks fees are going to be enough but they won't be and all the smart miners know this. Think about it, imagine you're someone who is creating Bitcoin and you want to encourage people to use it, you have the problem of if you make it inflationary then no one will hoard it, so it will never get used or become valuable enough to use, and if you make it deflationary it will get hoarded, but sometimes the speculation is going to create bubbles that make it unusable and eventually just a handful of people will own large amounts of it that they are unwilling to sell.
Can you elaborate on this point? I don't think what follows the highlighted part explains why miners will have no incentive to mine.

Also, because it is deflationary, at some point you know the miners aren't going to be willing to mine anymore, yet they will, having been involved in large monetary purchases of the currency, have an immense amount of sway over politicians.adopted.
What is your reasoning for thinking this is the case?

I completely agree with you that governments will have huge incentive in trying to control Bitcoin. Controlling the monetary unit of a country is a very effective way for a government to finance itself. Let's hope they're as unsuccessful doing this as they have been at deterring piracy though.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 02:50:04 AM

The only thing that matters about the deflationary aspects of Bitcoin is that eventually miners will have little to no incentive to mine. Every non-miner Bitcoiner thinks fees are going to be enough but they won't be and all the smart miners know this. Think about it, imagine you're someone who is creating Bitcoin and you want to encourage people to use it, you have the problem of if you make it inflationary then no one will hoard it, so it will never get used or become valuable enough to use, and if you make it deflationary it will get hoarded, but sometimes the speculation is going to create bubbles that make it unusable and eventually just a handful of people will own large amounts of it that they are unwilling to sell.
Can you elaborate on this point? I don't think what follows the highlighted part explains why miners will have no incentive to mine.

Also, because it is deflationary, at some point you know the miners aren't going to be willing to mine anymore, yet they will, having been involved in large monetary purchases of the currency, have an immense amount of sway over politicians.adopted.
What is your reasoning for thinking this is the case?

I completely agree with you that governments will have huge incentive in trying to control Bitcoin. Controlling the monetary unit of a country is a very effective way for a government to finance itself. Let's hope they're as unsuccessful doing this as they have been at deterring piracy though.

I wouldn't say Bitcoin is currently deflationary...in fact, the _inflation_ rate (as measured by the amount of new BTC created as a % of circulating BTC) is ridiculously high -- eg, how many coins existed 1 year ago cf. today?

If you measure inflation by how much stuff costs, then every time the ticker goes up, bitcoin is deflating...but that's happening despite massive % increases in the coin supply...if governments tried to pull that of, their currency would lose tremendous % value.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: