Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:41:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Blackouts - Does Bitcoin keep on ticking?  (Read 3832 times)
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 02:03:51 PM

You will need a blockchain, though. Or someone you trust, who has a copy, and whom you can communicate with, and who has connections to other peers.

I believe that is included, if I read this right:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Block_chain

If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Currently 1.75 GB, and growing.
 http://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size

Or just check the size of the Bitcoin folder on your PC.

I have the entire blockchain on 3 separate laptops that run 24/7 but i was thiking of ditching the lot
and switching to multibit or electrum

is it of any benefit to the network for most people to be running the full client and blockchain or could almost
everyone switch to a lite weight wallet that only downloads the block info but not the entire block ?

the 51% attack is harder the more people are running  a full copy of the blockchain, is that correct ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 03:04:20 PM

Niko, it seems that things only works with iphone, while bitcoin works on every phone  Cheesy

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 03:06:25 PM

Niko, it seems that things only works with iphone, while bitcoin works on every phone  Cheesy
Doesn't work on my blackberry. Sad

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 04:59:47 PM

Clients aren't really heavy on bandwidth either, even if the GSM network goes down a 56k modem could keep things up to date and would probably be enough for a blockchain only access point.

I was thinking a sat-link.
mobile4ever

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 05:06:17 PM

Try an android or tizen or meego based smartphone. They are all based on Linux.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 06:54:57 PM

You are all missing my point because you are obsessing over irrelevant details. Here is a relevant detail, along the line of your comments: electricity or not, Bitcoin currently doesn't work for point-of-sale payments. In most places there are zero merchants accepting BTC. But that's not the point of this thread. The point is, could Bitcoin still work in case of blackouts, and if so, could it be more resilient than centralized credit card networks?
My estimate above: no.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
mobile4ever

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 07:57:11 PM

Niko, it seems that things only works with iphone, while bitcoin works on every phone  Cheesy

You are all missing my point because you are obsessing over irrelevant details. Here is a relevant detail, along the line of your comments: electricity or not, Bitcoin currently doesn't work for point-of-sale payments. In most places there are zero merchants accepting BTC. But that's not the point of this thread. The point is, could Bitcoin still work in case of blackouts, and if so, could it be more resilient than centralized credit card networks?

Mobile is relevant.

Part of your thoughts on "merchants" is being worked on as you read this. Something like this → http://digimo.biz/
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 08:04:15 PM

Mobile is relevant.

Part of your thoughts on "merchants" is being worked on as you read this.

Mobile is equally relevant for Bitcoin and for credit cards. There is no advantage of one over another in case of blackouts.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
mobile4ever

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 08:08:36 PM

I added a bit before you replied. There should be a POS system similar to this ( http://digimo.biz/ ) soon.
mobile4ever

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 09:25:29 PM

Nooo... I don't want an app like that, it will make me look like a mocachino drinking bumbandit, the only time I could use it is when the power goes off at night and all the lights go out

Smiley
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 09:40:18 PM

Bitcoin does no better.  Even bitcard does not better.  At some point you need to connect to the wider internet.  If your bitcoin merchant terminal can do that then so can your CC merchant terminal.  If it can't then unless you plan on accepting unconfirmed transactions which may be double spends you are just as dead in the water.

apparently the bitcoincard network scales without problem. So in the case the bitcoincard net covers the whole city, there needs to be only one gateway (or connected blockchain server), which is a much weaker demand than network access at each merchant.

So in that case the bitcoincard does indeed better.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
mobile4ever

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 11:24:10 PM

Is that digimo thingy using bitcoin already? I don't see anything much in the 'how it works' section but whats there could be running on bitcoin.

Worried what would happen if com's broke down long enough for the blockchain to split to, isn't there a system in development to allow splits and merges though?

Digimo was just an example I used. I liked the fact that no extra hardware is needed to make their system work. PM me if you want more info.
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 11:49:26 PM

The point is, could Bitcoin still work in case of blackouts, and if so, could it be more resilient than centralized credit card networks?

That is if the merchant is prepared and has access to one of those card swipers (either the Square dongle or the dedicated one you referenced).  Though with a Square account you can also do Card Not Present transactions to then manually enter the card.  

But you are likely correct -- as long as there is even just mobile communications and battery powered mobile / tablet / laptop devices, the existing payment systems can continue to function even with an extended power outage.  Bitcoin doesn't really offer merchants anything they need in this scenario.

As far as enabling person-to-person exchange if the ATMs are down, I still think Bitcoin is uniquely positioned for that.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoRlyPZ3zJ0
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86012.msg1026722#msg1026722

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 08:23:20 AM

Nooo... I don't want an app like that, it will make me look like a mocachino drinking bumbandit, the only time I could use it is when the power goes off at night and all the lights go out

the important question here is ,do you drink mocachinos ? Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: