Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 03:23:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Cannot Succeed (heres why)  (Read 7200 times)
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 05:14:52 PM

I have one issue with your write-up;

Even if these exchanges run off with tons of BTC, where will THEY exchange it?

If there's a loss of $300 million in a similar form of what happened to Mt. Gox, certain addresses will likely be blacklisted, namely those that happened to get the BTC from the wallets. How they would pull that off, I am not sure. However a large majority of the community is interested in the success of bitcoin, and so I'm sure something will come about.

Only traders/speculators need to keep significant amounts of bitcoins in exchanges, getting IOUs instead. The exposure of regular users is limited to the amount and timeframe of their BTC/fiat deposits/withdrawals.

This is very, very true. Unless you are one of the technologically ignorant, you shouldn't be keeping in excess of $400 in a single wallet, in my opinion. I've had my BTC spread out far and wide, and I still haven't lost anything, amazingly.

By the time Bitcoin is 1 million per coin the exchanges that are centralized will be extremely trustable and with famous faces behind it (Winklevoss with the Gemini one is the start) and not autists like Karpeles.

Also 1 million per coin is not a problem, again, bitcoin being divisible by a shitton etc.

Also a good statement.

I do see what it is that you're trying to say, and I do believe that it's a very real possibility that could cause many issues. I just personally believe that such a scenario is unlikely, and thus there isn't really as need to fret about it.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 05:30:47 PM

Ridiculous and pointless thread. If 1 BTC were worth $1 million, the bitcoin global market cap would be around $10-20 trillion, depending on number of available coins. Fiat exchanges would no longer be necessary as by that point bitcoin would be an autonomous economy with little to no dependence on fiat.
I wonder how many of these threads were created in just 2015. Every once in a while someone tries to be the 'all knowing' and foresee the future.  Roll Eyes

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 06:24:03 PM

Strange logic, should world banks all close because they have billions of customer dollar?  Cheesy

chaoman (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:31:26 PM

I don't agree with OP but there is a reason I don't trade Bitcoin much via exchanges and that is because of the bad luck so far. It just takes 1 rotten apple to spoil the bowl. If I need to sell bitcoin, I do it locally and privately.

The problem with OP is that, based on his post, he would like to steer towards a centralized system backed by a reputable source(ie a bank handling these exchanges). Would this take away from what Bitcoin is? Well I don't think so. These exchanges need just as much information from you before you can use their services. They charge fees. Some give small amounts of interest. But when you wake up the next day, your local bank will be there, your online exchange might not be.

This alone is NOT a reason as to bitcoin cannot succeed.

You make it seem bitcoin is only for investors. Its not. Fiat is not only for investors. Its an exchange tool. Its worth something and can be exchanged for goods. I love buying things with my bitcoins, especially what I've mined.

You better not let anybody know you mine bitcoins then. If bitcoins reach a million a piece there will be people looking to kidnap you. I am not trying to make you afraid, just aware of human nature.
chaoman (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:35:20 PM

Strange logic, should world banks all close because they have billions of customer dollar?  Cheesy

No because the banks are already robbing us blind.
NiceSoft12

Activity: 433
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:54:22 PM

OP mentioned Circle. Isn't Circle insured? So if you lose your BTC's with them you are guaranteed to get it back up to $100,000 or something?
chaoman (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:59:06 PM

OP mentioned Circle. Isn't Circle insured? So if you lose your BTC's with them you are guaranteed to get it back up to $100,000 or something?

I'm saying Circle would just run off with all the btc they had if the price exploded.
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 08:14:02 PM

I'm saying Circle would just run off with all the btc they had if the price exploded.

By your logic today's large banks should just run off with everyone's fiat funds, the bankers disappearing to some small Caribbean island or something after some plastic surgery. There is more profit to be made simply staying in business (especially if bitcoin grows so greatly), than in a one-off crime. Not to mention the risk  (given the permanence of blockchain records, absolutely untraceable mixing of huge quantities would be a challenge) that they will eventually be tracked down and caught.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
Jordan23

Activity: 382
Merit: 311

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 08:18:18 PM

If Bitcoin hit $1 million very few people would have 1 whole Bitcoin.
chaoman (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 10:10:04 PM

By your logic today's large banks should just run off with everyone's fiat funds, the bankers disappearing to some small Caribbean island or something after some plastic surgery. There is more profit to be made simply staying in business (especially if bitcoin grows so greatly), than in a one-off crime. Not to mention the risk  (given the permanence of blockchain records, absolutely untraceable mixing of huge quantities would be a challenge) that they will eventually be tracked down and caught.

no just convert it all to dark coin then back to btc.
MilesJohan

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 10:15:56 PM

That's not the problem with btc but everything
People always steal , no matter what it is

Thats because people let them steal. Look  at the ponzi threads for example.

MileyJohanson
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 11:15:54 PM

Nonsense. Look at the market cap of Darkcoin compared to BTC, much less if BTC market cap explodes. Trying to launder it that way would would just leave a trail anyone could follow in the end.  And they'd need to use exchanges to make the BTC/altcoin trades; it is in the self-interest of the exchanges to fully cooperate with authorities to snag such a criminal so that the value of their cryptocurrencies is upheld. They all go out of business if BTC fails as you suggest. So the criminals in your scenario would have a LOT of enemies, people wanting to track them down, people pretending to cooperate or do business with them only so they could turn them in. The only thing they could do is sit on their precious bitcoin stash untouched while their conscience and regret eat them alive.

The bottom line is your logic is flawed. It presumes that people will never resist temptation, and treats self-respecting business people the same as the two-bit scammers who found opportunities in the first phases of bitcoin development. It ignores the ongoing shift towards professional businesses dominating the bitcoin ecosystem. You will never see another sort like Mark Karpeles having such an outsized level of control on people's bitcoins.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
chaoman (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 11:36:05 PM

Nonsense. Look at the market cap of Darkcoin compared to BTC, much less if BTC market cap explodes. Trying to launder it that way would would just leave a trail anyone could follow in the end.  And they'd need to use exchanges to make the BTC/altcoin trades; it is in the self-interest of the exchanges to fully cooperate with authorities to snag such a criminal so that the value of their cryptocurrencies is upheld. They all go out of business if BTC fails as you suggest. So the criminals in your scenario would have a LOT of enemies, people wanting to track them down, people pretending to cooperate or do business with them only so they could turn them in. The only thing they could do is sit on their precious bitcoin stash untouched while their conscience and regret eat them alive.

The bottom line is your logic is flawed. It presumes that people will never resist temptation, and treats self-respecting business people the same as the two-bit scammers who found opportunities in the first phases of bitcoin development. It ignores the ongoing shift towards professional businesses dominating the bitcoin ecosystem. You will never see another sort like Mark Karpeles having such an outsized level of control on people's bitcoins.

It is in the self interests of the exchanges to take all the coins and disappear. History repeats itself.
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 11:45:13 PM

It is all about what they think the value of being honest is versus the value of Running Away With the CoinsTM.

A rise in bitcoin price will not make them more likely to do this because the commissions they get will be increasing in value too.  So I don't think you can expect just a rise to the "Moon" to end the bitcoin ecosystem.

There are also trust innovations, not to mention the possibility of regulation, all the time.
LordSonjai

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 12:35:05 AM

Are you fucking kidding me?
You say bitcoin will not succeed because people steal?
Get the fuck out of here.
Monnt
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 12:48:08 AM

btw, his username is funny, Chao ching chong!

Hey can i call you Chao chairman? you better not related to that piece of shit.

Lol. The OP is probably really pissed by now. So many people disagreeing with him  Grin Grin
vvv8

Activity: 420
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 12:58:28 AM

Threads like these are the reason I don't read these boards that much anymore

soo many misinformed and uneducated people, reading threads like these gives a me a sort of nasty brain freeze that ends up in a migraine

The price us learned people must pay for bitcoin to become mainstream  Cry Angry
LordSonjai

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 02:23:02 AM

btw, his username is funny, Chao ching chong!

Hey can i call you Chao chairman? you better not related to that piece of shit.

you mean chairmen mao?
LRENZ

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 03:10:41 AM

Threads like these are the reason I don't read these boards that much anymore

soo many misinformed and uneducated people, reading threads like these gives a me a sort of nasty brain freeze that ends up in a migraine

The price us learned people must pay for bitcoin to become mainstream  Cry Angry

Too right. This place has turned into a complete shit hole full of trolls and noobs, not a good combination. Compare it with bitshares forum, they working on their decentralized exchange.. Enough said, fuck this thread.
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 03:26:58 AM

That's not the problem with btc but everything
People always steal , no matter what it is

Thats because people let them steal. Look  at the ponzi threads for example.

Yep! it's like people are saying.
Man! i got too much , let's go invest in a ponzi or cloud mining or may be do a deal w/o Escrow or no i shall better leave my coins in an exchange
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: