Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:14:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Butterfly Labs  (Read 64405 times)
lame.duck
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 10:33:56 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=87934.msg1075223#msg1075223

It was BFL who made the statement about the second plug.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LazyOtto

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 10:35:21 PM

Thank you, lame.duck.

My search-fu is lacking. Smiley
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 10:35:47 PM

Nice find lame.duck, thanks for posting!  I stand corrected.
BFL_Josh (OP)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 10:39:19 PM

l
Who has deleted posts before?  Certainly not me.
Do you really want to take that position, BFL_Josh, also AKA <someone else>?

Perhaps BFL_Josh has never altered history. But <someone else> absolutely has in the context of BFL communications.
(Search for "memory hole" and folks can find one of my follow-ups where this happened.)

--

I remember what I've read. And I've read all the BFL related threads starting with the Fall 2011 BFL one's.

I recognize that you're new to BFL corporate membership, but there is a *lot* of history to overcome before BFL has a good reputation.

Absolutely I want to take that position.  That accusation is pretty serious, please provide a link where I strategically deleted any information I've posted as either Inaba or BFL_Josh.  Once again, people are acting like it's a secret that I have two accounts; It's not.  In my capacity as a representative of BFL, I post as BFL_Josh, for other things, I post as Inaba.

But in both cases, I don't hide what I write or strategically delete/alter anything.  I've been accused of that in the past by certain members of this forum, but when the chips were down it was shown those individuals lied and any accusations they made were completely fabricated just to support their weak and untenable position.  There's a feature of the forum if you use the default skin where it says when the message was last edited... so please be careful what you accuse me of, because I can prove you wrong if you are just making things up.  If there some place that I strategically deleted something, please point it out as I have no recollection of it and it would be an error on my part.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 10:39:23 PM

sounds to me they change the spec's from time to time...  Wink

LazyOtto

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 10:40:06 PM

"and may or may not also include a wall plug for extra hot plate performance."

And, based on established track record, may or may not be shipped to you by Christmas.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 10:44:59 PM

l
Who has deleted posts before?  Certainly not me.
Do you really want to take that position, BFL_Josh, also AKA <someone else>?

Perhaps BFL_Josh has never altered history. But <someone else> absolutely has in the context of BFL communications.
(Search for "memory hole" and folks can find one of my follow-ups where this happened.)

--

I remember what I've read. And I've read all the BFL related threads starting with the Fall 2011 BFL one's.

I recognize that you're new to BFL corporate membership, but there is a *lot* of history to overcome before BFL has a good reputation.

Absolutely I want to take that position.  That accusation is pretty serious, please provide a link where I strategically deleted any information I've posted as either Inaba or BFL_Josh.  Once again, people are acting like it's a secret that I have two accounts; It's not.  In my capacity as a representative of BFL, I post as BFL_Josh, for other things, I post as Inaba.

But in both cases, I don't hide what I write or strategically delete/alter anything.  I've been accused of that in the past by certain members of this forum, but when the chips were down it was shown those individuals lied and any accusations they made were completely fabricated just to support their weak and untenable position.  There's a feature of the forum if you use the default skin where it says when the message was last edited... so please be careful what you accuse me of, because I can prove you wrong if you are just making things up.  If there some place that I strategically deleted something, please point it out as I have no recollection of it and it would be an error on my part.

deliver the information you have so far in a truly manner and you will not get in trouble. don't make the mistake of protection BFL from the community. what is your role within BFL and are you able to deliver the information which the community needs?

HDSolar

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 10:46:41 PM

Who has deleted posts before?  Certainly not me.

I don't recall anyone stating that there would be a secondary power supply just for the coffee warmer; I'm not saying someone didn't say that, but I don't recall it and it's not true.  The coffee warming aspect is completely secondary to actually mining, so no it probably won't really keep your coffee all that warm.

There will be no secondary power source for the Jalapeno.  In retrospect, we probably shouldn't have associated it with a coffee warmer, but it is flat and you can set your coffee on it.  It gets warm. 

Shit I was counting on that, oh well I guess I can watch it crunch numbers while my equipment keeps me dry by blowing tons of hot air.   Grin

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
LazyOtto

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 10:49:11 PM

Ah, modifiers are such useful devices. "strategically"

Did you or did you not delete posts in this vicinity:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=97269.msg1151102#msg1151102

I ask for a straight up yes or no since you are borderline impugning *my* honesty.

-- edit --

"In my capacity as a representative of BFL, I post as BFL_Josh, for other things, I post as Inaba."

Not always/consistently. And that is the point about deleted posts I'm directly referencing.
HDSolar

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 10:51:13 PM

sounds to me they change the spec's from time to time...  Wink

Small companies tend to do that, there is this one company that keeps doing that with the cell phones I buy.  What was there name, orange, pear, something with a fruit name.  I know they keep losing their shit in bars. Cheesy

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 10:57:17 PM

Change of specs?

"The Coffee Warmer shall now be known as the Mitten Dryer"
BFL_Josh (OP)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 11:11:39 PM

Absolutely I want to take that position.  That accusation is pretty serious, please provide a link where I strategically deleted any information I've posted as either Inaba or BFL_Josh.  Once again, people are acting like it's a secret that I have two accounts; It's not.  In my capacity as a representative of BFL, I post as BFL_Josh, for other things, I post as Inaba.

But in both cases, I don't hide what I write or strategically delete/alter anything.  I've been accused of that in the past by certain members of this forum, but when the chips were down it was shown those individuals lied and any accusations they made were completely fabricated just to support their weak and untenable position.  There's a feature of the forum if you use the default skin where it says when the message was last edited... so please be careful what you accuse me of, because I can prove you wrong if you are just making things up.  If there some place that I strategically deleted something, please point it out as I have no recollection of it and it would be an error on my part.
Ah, modifiers are such useful devices. "strategically"

Did you or did you not delete posts in this vicinity:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=97269.msg1151102#msg1151102

I ask for a straight up yes or no since you are borderline impugning *my* honesty.

-- edit --

"In my capacity as a representative of BFL, I post as BFL_Josh, for other things, I post as Inaba."

Not always/consistently. And that is the point about deleted posts I'm directly referencing.

I did not.  I changed the post from Inaba to BFL_Josh.  So again, please provide some evidence that I have ever strategically deleted or altered a post after the fact.  If your only evidence for this is that I changed the post from Inaba to BFL_Josh, then once again, there's nothing to the claim that I somehow strategically change or delete posts.  I'm honest in what I say and if I mis-speak or change my mind or am just plain wrong, I own up to it, I don't hide it.

LazyOtto

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 11:16:35 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2012, 11:28:50 PM by LazyOtto

No. You lie.

There are posts from that thread which are now gone. Not relabeled as to who the poster was. Gone.
(As can be seen from the context of the thread. In the future I will be sure to always post with full quotes from you to mitigate this issue.)

How do we get a moderator / site admin involved in this?

-- edit --
Where is the response to:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=97269.msg1151000#msg1151000
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 11:24:02 PM

Josh (and others at BFL) have stated multiple times that the Jalepeno will be powered by USB.  I don't know where people keep getting this idea of it having a power plug.  It might be multiple USB ports, but it will NOT have an external power source other than USB.
It will - for the coffee warmer - that has been stated ...
(gotta be the most stupid idea I've yet heard of in BTC mining hardware Tongue)

Go order a real ASIC device - not a coffee warmer toy ...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79637.msg1177543#msg1177543

... again with more details and even support for developers to get real mining software running on it at release time!
(Yeah my name's there also)
Where was it stated that the Jalepeno would require a power plug?  Everything I have seen from BFL has said that it will not.

Also, an FPGA?  You're kidding, right?
You're kidding right?
Read the post - it's Cell ASIC with more details than BFL have given.

That post made me happy for 2 reasons:
1) My name is on it - yep I'm certainly not gonna lie about that
2) Competition. Hopefully we'll get less vaporware posts from now on. Monopoly allows companies to say whatever they like and people have to put up - even if what was said has holes in it. That is hopefully no longer the case.

C'mon, BFL stated back in June the performance figures of their final 'custom ASIC' products.
Does anyone seriously believe they actually quoted those figures in June based on existing hardware? Anyone?
They quoted their FPGA figures based on a simulation which they got wrong (yeah blame me for pointing out the proof of that in an accidental comment by a BFL person ...)
I don't suspect they will make that mistake again, but I guess we'll see ... if they deliver ...
Pity everyone's gonna have to mine with EasyMiner ... I've not heard anything about mining software on the BFL device.
But I've certainly now heard about it on Tom's device Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 12:38:41 AM

I suppose I would be a strong advocate of an ASIC device that I were getting for free during a small-batch pre-release.

Pity everyone's gonna have to mine with EasyMiner ... I've not heard anything about mining software on the BFL device.

I'm not sure you're talking about regarding EasyMiner. It is rather deceiving, but EasyMiner does not actually mine in it's current state, it's more of an firmware upgrade and testing utility. It seems the vast majority of people use cgminer with their Bitforce units, or go for the plug n' play Bitminter GUI.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 12:47:50 AM

Who has deleted posts before?  Certainly not me.

This seems to imply a very absolute claim that you have never deleted posts. Yet myself (and others) have seen you do exactly that. Usually it's just to say the exact same (or almost the same) thing as Inaba, but the point stands.

Now I've also seen "BFL" delete posts, but that's not what we're talking about.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 03:05:18 AM

I suppose I would be a strong advocate of an ASIC device that I were getting for free during a small-batch pre-release.
Yep certainly correct - I do now (as of that post) have an interest in bASIC.
http://BitcoinASIC.com
... I will also add that I didn't know for certain until that post Smiley

I would also have had an interest in the BFL 'ASIC' also if they did the same thing.
But BFL seem to think it is a privilege to get remote access to their hardware and write the code necessary to support it.
As I have said here before: rather than them supplying us with the hardware, BFL says we should be spending our time for free and writing support into cgminer for them ... ... ... ... ... yeah you can see how far that is gonna get them now they no longer have a monopoly ...

I'm not sure you're talking about regarding EasyMiner. It is rather deceiving, but EasyMiner does not actually mine in it's current state, it's more of an firmware upgrade and testing utility. It seems the vast majority of people use cgminer with their Bitforce units, or go for the plug n' play Bitminter GUI.
You obviously missed the whole discussion on the subject ...
BFL's response to my comments about them wanting us to write mining support for free, was for BFL to specifically say they have EasyMiner.

No one yet has defined miner support for the BFL ASIC device.

bASIC now certainly DOES have defined support for 3 miners:
cgminer: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.0
mpbm: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=62823.0
and the cgminer clone.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 04:39:44 AM

No. You lie.

There are posts from that thread which are now gone. Not relabeled as to who the poster was. Gone.
(As can be seen from the context of the thread. In the future I will be sure to always post with full quotes from you to mitigate this issue.)

How do we get a moderator / site admin involved in this?

-- edit --
Where is the response to:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=97269.msg1151000#msg1151000

I'm taking off my BFL hat here for a minute because this is complete and utter bullshit.  I was trying to avoid calling you a liar, but the bottom line is you are lying. The only post that was "deleted" was the one where you yourself bitched about which account I was posting with, so I went ahead and reposted the exactly same post (I cut an pasted it for christs sake) as the BFL account... not four posts down.  The exact same post.  Nothing changed, added or deleted.  The EXACT SAME POST.  So seriously, if you consider that "deleting" a post because I was trying to placate your request that I post with the "proper" account, well though shit.  You're wrong, end of story.

Here's the chain of events that has you up in arms:

As Inaba, I post, word for word, in response to AndrewBUD asking about being open on our progress:

Probably, but there are competitive issues that outweigh that at the moment.

The very next post you complain about the account.  Michail1 states why bother, since it's the same person then you go on to complain about me keeping the personas discrete, which I actually agree with, so I copy the text from the Inaba post, repost it with BFL_Josh.  Then here you are complaining about me doing exactly WHAT YOU WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE? And you calling me a liar because I supposedly "deleted" a post (which was reposted 4 posts down, 2 of them being your complaint and one of them being someone responding to your complaint) you complained about and posted it with the "proper" account.  WTF?  I mean, seriously.  If that's the biggest complaint you have against me I'm doing #%@#$ awesome.  You claim multiple posts are "gone" from that thread.  Please, prove me wrong, I am dying to see what kind of machinations you can come up with to save yourself from the impending embarrassment you are about to experience (or should anyway) when you realize what an ass you are making of yourself by accusing me of something that simply did not happen.

This seems to imply a very absolute claim that you have never deleted posts. Yet myself (and others) have seen you do exactly that. Usually it's just to say the exact same (or almost the same) thing as Inaba, but the point stands.

Where?  What posts have I deleted?  I am eager to hear about all these supposedly missing posts.  Now, I will admit to having deleted posts of me bitch slapping certain members of the forum who need a good bitch slapping for being utter morons, but I've only done this immediately after I've posted and before there are any replies.  In this instance, if there has ever been a reply after mine, I have not deleted a post.  There may be one or two occasions where I've deleted a post at the same time someone was posting, but if that has happened (I can't recall if it has) and someone questions me about it, I would certainly own up to it and explain why I did it.

But as BFL_Josh I guarantee you I have not deleted any posts that I can recall, or if I have it was, again, before anyone posted after me.  If I were to edit or otherwise alter a post in such a circumstance where someone replied after me and the post would cause a thread disruption, you can be damned sure I would explain why I did it.

Come on, seriously, I can't believe of all the things people might have reason to call me out on, THIS mindless bullshit is what people try to pull?  Not only something that can be easily verified, but given my personality and penchant for ranting, do you really think that would even be in character?  Not even close.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 04:47:21 AM

Josh (and others at BFL) have stated multiple times that the Jalepeno will be powered by USB.  I don't know where people keep getting this idea of it having a power plug.  It might be multiple USB ports, but it will NOT have an external power source other than USB.
It will - for the coffee warmer - that has been stated ...
(gotta be the most stupid idea I've yet heard of in BTC mining hardware Tongue)

Go order a real ASIC device - not a coffee warmer toy ...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79637.msg1177543#msg1177543

... again with more details and even support for developers to get real mining software running on it at release time!
(Yeah my name's there also)
Where was it stated that the Jalepeno would require a power plug?  Everything I have seen from BFL has said that it will not.

Also, an FPGA?  You're kidding, right?
You're kidding right?
Read the post - it's Cell ASIC with more details than BFL have given.

2) Competition. Hopefully we'll get less vaporware posts from now on. Monopoly allows companies to say whatever they like and people have to put up - even if what was said has holes in it. That is hopefully no longer the case.

C'mon, BFL stated back in June the performance figures of their final 'custom ASIC' products.
Does anyone seriously believe they actually quoted those figures in June based on existing hardware? Anyone?
They quoted their FPGA figures based on a simulation which they got wrong (yeah blame me for pointing out the proof of that in an accidental comment by a BFL person ...)
I don't suspect they will make that mistake again, but I guess we'll see ... if they deliver ...
My apologies - I DID skim over the post too fast and missed the cASIC reference.  I noted the thread title as having to do with an FPGA.

Yes, I have heard of cASIC already though!  And I too am excited that there will be competition (more excited if they aren't delivered before the BFL units are though).  Not sure why the Jalepeno can't be considered a "real ASIC" though.

I really don't care if BFL quoted specs from simulations (which, I agree, I am sure they did).  They are purposefully holding back on power draw until they can be certain of what it is, so they do not make the same mistake as last time.  And for me, as long as the specs are at least as close as they were for the first-gen units (which was 4 times the power consumption and 20% less hashing power), I'll be happy.  More importantly, if they ship out before anyone else's ASICs ship out, I'll be extremely happy.  Anything more is icing on the cake.

Bitminter has already stated multiple times that they will have support for BFL's new miners by the time they ship.  That's good enough for me.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 05:00:26 AM

Geez man calm down. The instance that stands out in my mind was the one you directly referenced. However, it seems I remembered it backwards, where you posted as Inaba, and later reposted it as BFL_Josh.

I don't have a problem with you deleting posts, on either account, regardless of whether someone has replied or not. In fact sometimes it's necessary, as things change. I'm just saying don't claim to never have done something under any circumstances, when you may have actually done that thing under certain circumstances.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: