Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:14:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SP10 Ignites!!! SP-T responds with lightning speed!  (Read 3522 times)
whonesta (OP)

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:40:14 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2015, 05:31:44 AM by whonesta

I have 2 SP10's, 1 was a slow corner the other a fast corner model. Today I found the fast corner idol, upon reboot I noticed a strange glow coming from the intake. Yep she was a blaze, intake temps are 29c as always so it was not excessive heat, looks like the advertisement as a "professional" piece of equipment was ALL hype. At less then 10 months of operations and she is up in smoke, to date I have 30 antMiner products NOT a single fire yet. SP-T has joined the ranks of "Fire-starters"..  Ugh what a let down, there goes buying a SP31 and now I have to worry about my remaining SP10 and SP20.

Pics to come, have to feed the family before tear down.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3797

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:45:07 PM

I have 2 SP10's, 1 was a slow corner the other a fast corner model. Today I found the fast corner idol, upon reboot I noticed a strange glow coming from the intake. Yep she was a blaze, intake temps are 29c as always so it was not excessive heat, looks like the advertisement as a "professional" piece of equipment was ALL hype. At less then 6 months of operations and she is up in smoke, to date I have 30 antMiner products NOT a single fire yet. SP-T has joined the ranks of "Fire-starters"..  Ugh what a let down, there goes buying a SP31 and now I have to worry about my remaining SP10 and SP20.

could it be dust? I always worry about this for any miner-eager to see the cause.
quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:56:51 PM

pics or it didn't happen
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 11:29:14 PM

I have 2 SP10's, 1 was a slow corner the other a fast corner model. Today I found the fast corner idol, upon reboot I noticed a strange glow coming from the intake. Yep she was a blaze, intake temps are 29c as always so it was not excessive heat, looks like the advertisement as a "professional" piece of equipment was ALL hype. At less then 6 months of operations and she is up in smoke, to date I have 30 antMiner products NOT a single fire yet. SP-T has joined the ranks of "Fire-starters"..  Ugh what a let down, there goes buying a SP31 and now I have to worry about my remaining SP10 and SP20.

Which part of the SP10 started the fire? Would be v+helpful for debugging.  
My guess is a wrong voltage rated cap.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
raskul

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 11:54:45 PM

there goes buying a SP31

"i'm not buying GEN2 because GEN1 had an issue"

like...

"i'm not eating steak because the chicken is bad"

Cheesy

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
whonesta (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 12:50:55 AM
Last edit: March 02, 2015, 01:22:06 AM by whonesta

there goes buying a SP31

like...

Cheesy

LOL Raskul, I am not buying it because they are over priced, which was "excused" because they were a "better" built piece of hardware. I NO longer believe that and in fact I would say these POS are REALLY EXPENSIVE AM Tube dangerous.

So anyone from SP-T see the problem?  This machine was running in a Rack with 29c intake temps, on 220v power.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 01:14:50 AM

Now you are just being silly comparing an SP-T miner to an AM. Also use imgur for pics...yours are proxy blocked.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 01:15:21 AM

So anyone from SP-T see the problem?
All they're seeing for now is "bitcointalk.org image proxy: Invalid image" Smiley

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 01:22:31 AM

there goes buying a SP31

like...

Cheesy

LOL Raskul, I am not buying it because they are over priced, which was "excused" because they were a "better" built piece of hardware. I NO longer believe that and in fact I would say these POS are REALLY EXPENSIVE AM Tube dangerous.

So anyone from SP-T see the problem?  This machine was running in a Rack with 29c intake temps, on 220v power.

Looks like a suspicious link:

Most likely an attempt to discover IP's.
whonesta (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 01:25:40 AM

Now you are just being silly comparing an SP-T miner to an AM. Also use imgur for pics...yours are proxy blocked.

I wish I was, thank GOD I was on site when it went up. There were visible flames as I reached to pull the plug.

Sorry for the technical diff..  had file permissions set wrong, vpn is under repair..
whonesta (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 01:26:50 AM

there goes buying a SP31

like...

Cheesy

Looks like a suspicious link:

Most likely an attempt to discover IP's.

LOL even the peanut gallery?? S.A.D
whonesta (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 01:31:01 AM

could it be dust? I always worry about this for any miner-eager to see the cause.

While I can not rule that out, the 33 other machines in the room seem to suggest different. Obviously the board is NOW dirty, cap blew dust everywhere. Guess I need to pull a board tonight..  JOY!!

Really I would say the heatsink came loose/ lost contact to that section of the board. Since I was unable to speak to machine had to do a hard reset, the temp of that asic bank was probably reason for machine hanging. Lesson I suppose is after a few months of ops, you should tighten mount points. Now where is my SP10 manual, maybe their website..  HAHAHA  LMAO yep "The best CS and most professionally built".

Might want to shut your SP10's down for a quick inspection!
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 01:38:20 AM

LOL even the peanut gallery?? S.A.D
Ok, so you want to play the part of being an intelligent human being? I got you covered.

First, [all!] Electronics fail.
Yes, even medical grade electronics that are critical for sustaining a life. (redundant electronics necessary)

Second, you seem "surprised" because an SP10 caught fire, you therefore seem to consider it an issue of quality.
You also stated "you were lucky" because you were there to pull the plug. (?) <--

I am guessing you aren't properly hosting said device to be worried about burning down the place where you host them.
Not taking appropriate precautions is the bigger issue to keep in mind.

---------------------

Next, I see your SP10 did fail, (like all electronics from all manufacturers eventually will).
The question is, how often do these fail when operated properly.
I don't recall seeing many SP10's failing in this board. So I assume they are safe enough.
But don't take that as a sense of false relief, instead be prepared for when they do fail.

You stated you have ~40 some Ant miners. I am guessing you haven't set those up either in case of a fire in one unit.
Again, you don't sound like you are prepared for that eventuality.

Recommendation --> STOP overreacting.
There are no hardware from all these manufacturers that are not liable to catch fire.
Avoid the ones from manufacturers that consistently do have known issues.

When they do catch fire, have a plan in place.
If you don't, you might have one ANT catch fire and take out the entire [ANT farm]/lot.
It is ten times better if you had a plan for when you aren't there to watch for a fire.

Thank you for reporting the issue with an SP10, but it sounds like you have alot more serious issues than just one box that recently caught fire.
whonesta (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 01:42:01 AM

Thanks Mom..

LOL You have an amazing ability to remote view my mind and my data room, WOW!

I did not say Thx GOD, because I was afraid something was going to destroy my place. Even it I had let her burn at best it would have caused the building to stink. But hey thx for the free anal-lysis it was really helpful.

Likewise I agree shit fails, the difference is will it catch a blaze. I have had several ants fry the difference being they popped, smoked, dead. This SP10, like the AM Turds, caught a blaze which did not extinguish without aid.

Thus FIRE STARTER!
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 01:43:28 AM

Thanks Mom..

I did not say Thx GOD, because I was afraid something was going to destroy my place. Even it I had let her burn at best it would have caused the building to stink. But hey thx for the free anal-lysis it was really helpful.

Sometimes stating the obvious is necessary.
Try not to make a fool of yourself.
whonesta (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 01:48:26 AM

Thanks Mom..

Sometimes stating the obvious is necessary.
Try not to make a fool of yourself.

What on Earth are you saying? How do you even know one thing about my preparedness?
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 1838

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 01:54:43 AM

I've had two SP10s in my custody for hosting since about July, and this has happened to me three times (twice on one machine). One of them blew a VRM in January when the intake temps were about 14C. That grey bead to the uppper right corner is the only connection between your VRM/bank and the 12V rail, which means if you're worried just remove it and thew hole burnt section is now electrically cut off. Both my SP10s still work at reduced capacity.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 02:03:42 AM

When we're talking about fire, is it safe to assume that this one self extinguished?

whonesta (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:05:03 AM

I've had two SP10s in my custody for hosting since about July, and this has happened to me three times (twice on one machine). One of them blew a VRM in January when the intake temps were about 14C. That grey bead to the uppper right corner is the only connection between your VRM/bank and the 12V rail, which means if you're worried just remove it and thew hole burnt section is now electrically cut off. Both my SP10s still work at reduced capacity.

Thanks for that HELPFUL comment sidehack, that would be best case to save the remainder of the board's functionality.
whonesta (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:05:58 AM

When we're talking about fire, is it safe to assume that this one self extinguished?

Negative, had to pull from rack and extinguish with wet towel. Did not want to over react and kill the room.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: