Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:04:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SP10 Ignites!!! SP-T responds with lightning speed!  (Read 3530 times)
AbuGarcia

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:11:03 AM

When we're talking about fire, is it safe to assume that this one self extinguished?

Negative, had to pull from rack and extinguish with wet towel. Did not want to over react and kill the room.

I just bought a 15# halotron for events like this.  I would recommend the same.  you can get them NOS for around 120-150$shipped on ebay

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:12:19 AM

What on Earth are you saying? How do you even know one thing about my preparedness?

When we're talking about fire, is it safe to assume that this one self extinguished?

Negative, had to pull from rack and extinguish with wet towel. Did not want to over react and kill the room.
Mom says: You look prettier when you don't say too much.

(I am really joking, but thanks for saying too much)

You could also do what AbuGarcia says, but those are pretty expensive alternatives. And consider you might not be there when it happens next time. Might want to look into a kit triggered by smoke. One integrated with a breaker box. (Halon has it's problems.)

http://www.h3rcleanagents.com/support_faq_2.htm
whonesta (OP)

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:24:17 AM

What on Earth are you saying? How do you even know one thing about my preparedness?

You could also do what AbuGarcia says, but those are pretty expensive alternatives. And consider you might not be there when it happens next time. Might want to look into a kit triggered by smoke. One integrated with a breaker box. (Halon has it's problems.)

Sounds like your mom gives good advice you should take it.

Yes problem with Halon bomb is it shit cans the rest of the GOOD equipment. If these guys like AM are planning to shove 5KW thru a board I would have to say NO THANKS!

S1, S3 are solid had several pop but never ignite.

S5 same low power unit as S1-S3, SP20 being smaller but using the same power using 1/2 the power as SP10 leaves me feeling better.
Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 02:27:26 AM

@whonesta contact sales@
We would like to buy the SP10 back for analysis.

Regarding SP20, we had to date zero reports of similar issue.

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
whonesta (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:32:52 AM
Last edit: March 02, 2015, 02:57:22 AM by whonesta

@whonesta contact sales@
We would like to buy the SP10 back for analysis.

Regarding SP20, we had to date zero reports of similar issue.

Thanks I imagine it has a story for ya. And after looking at the SP20 in OPs, I was incorrect about the power usage, like the ant's it too is a lower power unit.

Email sent. Subject: SP10 Ignites
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:33:38 AM

Yes problem with Halon bomb is it shit cans the rest of the GOOD equipment. If these guys like AM are planning to shove 5KW thru a board I would have to say NO THANKS!

S5 same low power unit as S1-S3, SP20 being smaller but using the same power as SP10 leaves me a bit worried.
If you do your homework on Halon and it's various alternatives, you can apply "an equipment safe" alternative to water. (hence why I mentioned the (general kit) with a breaker function.)

Halon does not always entail damage to Good equipment. If you design things properly you can avoid that without too much trouble.
Don't take my word for it, just read.

----------------

On the S1 through S3, these are subjective opinions. You are putting yourself in an area of misplaced confidence. It will eventually happen even in the best of situations.

If you lul yourself into a false sense of manufacturer superiority then you'll pay for it big time when your time comes.
whonesta (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:36:18 AM

S5 same low power unit as S1-S3, SP20 being smaller but using the same power as SP10 leaves me a bit worried.
If you do your homework on Halon and it's various alternatives, you can apply "an equipment safe" alternative to water. (hence why I mentioned the (general kit) with a breaker function.)

Halon does not always entail damage to Good equipment. If you design things properly you can avoid that without too much trouble.
Don't take my word for it, just read.

----------------

On the S1 through S3, these are subjective opinions. Your putting yourself in an area of misplaced confidence. It will eventually happen even in the best of situations.

If you lul yourself into a false sense of manufacturer superiority then you'll pay for it big time when your time comes.

Ugh man you have been of NO USE on this thread, your information is erroneous and off base, please GTH! I have had ALL miners fail, I have had 2 which have caught a blaze and failed to extinguish without intervention.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:40:27 AM

I'll GTH...but when you suffer the consequences of misplaced "ideas" i'll keep your seat nice and warm. LOL. Some never learn.
MaximeAD

Activity: 175
Merit: 101

cryptominer.ca

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 02:43:53 AM

!

I hope it would have self extinguished if you had wait..

http://www.cryptominer.ca - Bitcoin Miner Hosting Solutions
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:55:47 AM

Glad no one was hurt.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
AbuGarcia

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:02:37 AM

Halotron is not the same as halon, halon was started to phase out of circulation more than 2 decades ago because of ozone depletion.  
So you have two choices:
Halotron
or
3M novec - which is about 300 dollars a gallon.
whonesta (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:15:46 AM

Halotron is not the same as halon, halon was started to phase out of circulation more than 2 decades ago because of ozone depletion.  
So you have two choices:
Halotron
or
3M novec - which is about 300 dollars a gallon.

Yeah I am phasing out miners with a draw north of 1000w, in my experience that is the threshold which leads to fire. I have had the lower wattage miners burn up, but never with a resulting flame. Shrink the mine down to 20TH and hold, expansion with current return and specs on gen 3 just does not make sense. 
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:22:41 AM

I like these for automatic fire extinguishing.

http://www.amazon.com/Invention-Multi-Purpos-Extinguisher-Self-activation/dp/B00I94WFKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425270096&sr=8-1&keywords=Fire+Extinguisher+Ball

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:53:42 AM

Or from China much cheaper.

http://www.aliexpress.com/premium/ball-fire-extinguisher.html?ltype=wholesale&SearchText=ball+fire+extinguisher&d=y&origin=y&initiative_id=QRW_20150301205251&isViewCP=y

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
AbuGarcia

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 05:58:20 AM

whats inside?
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:33:29 PM

Yeah I am phasing out miners with a draw north of 1000w, in my experience that is the threshold which leads to fire. I have had the lower wattage miners burn up, but never with a resulting flame. Shrink the mine down to 20TH and hold, expansion with current return and specs on gen 3 just does not make sense. 

not sure how thats really the problem - power density is a greater issue than overall power. SP3x draws >2800W but is extremely reliable. KNC draws 300W/box and caused dozens of fires (generally all related to wiring though)

was the SP10 running at full specs still (1200W/1400GH) or was it undervolted (770W/1000GH)

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 10:36:18 PM

not sure how thats really the problem - power density is a greater issue than overall power. SP3x draws >2800W but is extremely reliable. KNC draws 300W/box and caused dozens of fires (generally all related to wiring though)

was the SP10 running at full specs still (1200W/1400GH) or was it undervolted (770W/1000GH)
Please, don't be smart (or informative) in front of him. He really hates that.
Cheeseater

Activity: 351

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 12:32:27 AM

I've had two SP10s in my custody for hosting since about July, and this has happened to me three times (twice on one machine). One of them blew a VRM in January when the intake temps were about 14C. That grey bead to the uppper right corner is the only connection between your VRM/bank and the 12V rail, which means if you're worried just remove it and thew hole burnt section is now electrically cut off. Both my SP10s still work at reduced capacity.

They were my units hosted. Luckily Sidehack, the hardware guru that he is, had them both running at only a slightly reduced speed the same day. If you're looking for hosting I truly believe you won't find better.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 12:40:37 AM

Cheeseater, SP tells me you should contact them about those two units. They might want to buy them back so they can analyze them and find the problem, same as they said to the OP.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Cheeseater

Activity: 351

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 01:14:33 AM

Cheeseater, SP tells me you should contact them about those two units. They might want to buy them back so they can analyze them and find the problem, same as they said to the OP.

Like I said, you won't find better hosting anywhere. Pm'd Spondoolies Thanks!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: