Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:40:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: probably too many white people already  (Read 5702 times)
paulie_w (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:04:14 PM

and i assume, using bitcoin...

no one likes to talk about things like this in such terms, but allow me to be a bit brazen:

i think we need to get the beautiful dark-skinned people in all nations involved in the bitcoin scene. for obvious reasons, they're generally not super trusting of government or any conglomeration of oppressive power, but simultaneously wield a great power in terms of influence in popular culture.

who can we talk to about making the 'megaupload' video of bitcoin?

(actually serious)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sarpar

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:10:07 PM

no one likes to talk about things like this in such terms, but allow me to be a bit brazen:

i think we need to get the beautiful dark-skinned people in all nations involved in the bitcoin scene. for obvious reasons, they're generally not super trusting of government or any conglomeration of oppressive power, but simultaneously wield a great power in terms of influence in popular culture.

(actually serious)
that is racist! - unacceptable! You are smart enough to do better!

I openly boycott the Bitcoinica Consultancy team or Intersango: Donald Norman, Patrick Strateman and Amir Taaki
Drifter

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:15:14 PM

Keep measuring people by their skin color and see how fast things improve...

HOWEVER, if you want to study the effects bitcoin could have on low economic countries/states/cities etc, that is another story entirely.

mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:33:16 PM

(actually serious)

Have you seen the Brazil following? →

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=29.0

Leandro César is the manager of the "Mercado do Brasil". He has already had a major run-in with a major bank in his country. He decided to go after BTC even harder because of it. ( http://www.bitcoinbrasil.com.br/?p=422 )

He says, "O Brasil será o país do bitcoin, apesar dos pesares!"

Translated, "The Brazil is the country of bitcoin, despite regrets!"

Fantastic work Leandro!
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:12:41 PM

OP made a racist post.  It's one thing to say we should promote bitcoin in other countries.  It's another to relate it to skin color.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:17:07 PM

The OP comes across as if he thinks we should promote it to dark-skinned people because they are dumber/slower to understand bitcoins which I find quite amusing considering the overwhelming reason why african people have a hard time getting involved with bitcoins is the lack of actual money to buy bitcoins and the ever increasing price of bitcoins.

In essense it has nothing to do with skin colour but more to do with financial access to get involved with bitcoins.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 05:25:04 PM

paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:31:42 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2012, 05:58:46 PM by paulie_w

(edited to remove confusing 'subculture')

try again folks. i am black. i used a provocative subject line and there is indeed 'racism' here, but it's nothing that you aren't aware of already. do black people identify with their culture, the borders defined by them largely by skin color? absolutely. i don't agree that this is somehow a good direction for humanity, but i never said anything about dumber/slower, either... that you came up with THAT is 'racist'.

now, enough of this nonsense: stop getting nervous about it and look at the question that i'm asking:

the black folk/community in the US and UK DO have an inherent suspicion of government and centralized power and they DO absolutely have popular media influence.

how do we promote bitcoin there? it could really take off, especially with the support of some popular rappers. imagine if snoop dogg/lion were pro-bitcoin for example.

this is why i gave the megaupload video example.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:34:04 PM

(actually serious)

I have a counter proposal for you. Make Bitcoin popular with folks from trailers in eastern Kentucky. That's likely more within the reach, the language barrier is smaller, etc. Once you get some success there you can challenge yourself further.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 05:34:30 PM

HOWEVER, if you want to study the effects bitcoin could have on low economic countries/states/cities etc, that is another story entirely.

I have had some ideas along this line as well.    Problem is now that Bitcoins are appreciating so fast that it doesn't work very well until we get more stability.  We could make a basic price index that tracks in their currency and BTC.  They could use this to track inflation by their government and then with that information, natives could decide to save in Bitcoin so they can try to preserve wealth that would of been eroded by inflation.   This type of application I could see as being a major economic reform in under-developed countries.  

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:34:36 PM

(actually serious)
Have you seen the Brazil following? →

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=29.0

Leandro César is the manager of the "Mercado do Brasil". He has already had a major run-in with a major bank in his country. He decided to go after BTC even harder because of it. ( http://www.bitcoinbrasil.com.br/?p=422 )

He says, "O Brasil será o país do bitcoin, apesar dos pesares!"

Translated, "The Brazil is the country of bitcoin, despite regrets!"

Fantastic work Leandro!

i wish that i could read more portuguese; i know nothing about what goes on down there. but the general truth of dark-skinned folks having popular media influence and distrust of government is true, then that's another example.
paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:37:32 PM

I have had some ideas along this line as well.    Problem is now that Bitcoins are appreciating so fast that it doesn't work very well until we get more stability.  We could make a basic price index that tracks in their currency and BTC.  They could use this to track inflation by their government and then with that information, natives could decide to save in Bitcoin so they can try to preserve wealth that would of been eroded by inflation.   This type of application I could see as being a major economic reform in under-developed countries.  

you think? this kind of 'study' only seems operable within a test-tube where _many_ environmental conditions are controllable. i think the only study that makes any sense is a live one aka getting bitcoin into peoples' hands and seeing what happens.
paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:44:47 PM

(actually serious)

I have a counter proposal for you. Make Bitcoin popular with folks from trailers in eastern Kentucky. That's likely more within the reach, the language barrier is smaller, etc. Once you get some success there you can challenge yourself further.

LANGUAGE BARRIER? good grief.

i'm glad i made this thread, maybe we can all air out how we really feel.

not that i care as long as the original question gets discussed. Smiley
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:48:47 PM

When I read the title, I thought you meant on Earth.  Whole sentences usually convey meaning better.  I'm not interested in this discussion, but I do agree there are too many white people in existence (like me for example Wink).  I'm not for destroying them (us) though.  They (we) will take care of that on our own soon enough.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
jimbobway
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:53:03 PM

try again folks. i am black. i used a provocative subject line and there is indeed 'racism' here, but it's nothing that you aren't aware of already. do black people identify with their own subculture, the borders defined by them largely by skin color? absolutely. i don't agree that this is somehow a good direction for humanity, but i never said anything about dumber/slower, either... that you came up with THAT is 'racist'.

Black people have the same subculture?  Again, even though you are black, you are associating skin color with having the same subculture.  But, at least you admit it there was some racism which is a step in the right direction.

I am curious, though.  How would you, as a black person, promote bitcoin to black people?
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:55:00 PM

try again folks. i am black. i used a provocative subject line and there is indeed 'racism' here, but it's nothing that you aren't aware of already. do black people identify with their own subculture, the borders defined by them largely by skin color? absolutely. i don't agree that this is somehow a good direction for humanity, but i never said anything about dumber/slower, either... that you came up with THAT is 'racist'.

Black people have the same subculture?  Again, even though you are black, you are associating skin color with having the same subculture.  But, at least you admit it there was some racism which is a step in the right direction.

I am curious, though.  How would you, as a black person, promote bitcoin to black people?

Lol.  The Hutus and the Tutsis certainly held the same cultural beliefs Roll Eyes.

paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:55:26 PM

you're right of course, but there is some undeniable solidarity between black people in the united states. i've noticed the same in the UK. that's what i'm talking about.

i made some suggestions, but it isn't my industry. getting it into the hands of a prominent rapper would go miles, and i believe my suggestion of someone like snoop dogg would be very very effective.
paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:57:07 PM

Lol.  The Hutus and the Tutsis certainly held the same cultural beliefs Roll Eyes.

already said, "UK" and "US". is rwanda either one of those? no it isn't.

now, how about the _actual topic_?
jimbobway
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:57:39 PM

you're right of course, but there is some undeniable solidarity between black people in the united states. i've noticed the same in the UK. that's what i'm talking about.

i made some suggestions, but it isn't my industry. getting it into the hands of a prominent rapper would go miles, and i believe my suggestion of someone like snoop dogg would be very very effective.

Certainly there are East Coast Rappers vs West Coast Rappers culture.  Excellent choice in picking Snoop Lion as he represents the superior artistic group.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/08/02/snoop-dogg-is-now-snoop-lion-lamest-celebrity-nickname/
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 06:01:02 PM

already said, "UK" and "US". is rwanda either one of those? no it isn't.

now, how about the _actual topic_?

Sorry.  I didn't read that reply, just the one I replied to.  My bad.  I realize this is a sensitive issue and I probably shouldn't be paying half attention if I'm going to participate.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: