Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:03:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Making a new website.  (Read 1745 times)
swissmate (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:14:30 PM

I want to open a new website. Something big.

For the programing part it would be like an hotel booking website but different.

The question is, how much would the entire programmation of a website (consider tripadvisor.com as an example) cost if I would hire a programmer or a couple of them?
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:21:53 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2012, 10:44:32 PM by Blazr

You would need to get in contact with some web developers/designers and give more details to get a price for this.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:23:25 PM

In real life, the cost of a big website tends to be ongoing and open-ended.

I suggest that you develop your website and service incrementally.
swissmate (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:36:08 PM

Well I also got some programming skills ( studying IT) but I still haven't seen any web oriented languages. So my question would be should I wait until I learn some PHP maybe? Or should I already start to contract someone?
swissmate (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 08:04:51 PM

Well I also got some programming skills ( studying IT) but I still haven't seen any web oriented languages. So my question would be should I wait until I learn some PHP maybe? Or should I already start to contract someone?

if you know java, or C++ php is similar but I what i would do to safe money, is write as much as you can yourself, then maybe hire someone to do security checks on the code, that would be cheapest

sounds like a good idea, thanks!
mr_gant

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 08:18:10 AM

I know i would do it for like BTC200 that right now is like $2,000 and that is fair for a site like that

This estimate is out by at least one order of magnitude.
Willowbitcoin

Activity: 106
Merit: 12

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 08:22:58 AM

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 04:29:52 PM

I know i would do it for like BTC200 that right now is like $2,000 and that is fair for a site like that

Remember I am going off what a free lancer would get paid and that is a pretty big site, but what would think would be a fair price?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 04:34:26 PM

You likely will do better breaking it down into smaller "chunks" and getting a price on that.

Saying I wan't something like tripadvisor.com isn't something which can be priced as a single price item.  TripAdvisor probably has 20-30 developers, db engineers, artists, web designers, and marketing people working full time so a good estimate would be ~$1M to $2M a year (and honestly that probably is low).

Now I am not saying you need $1M I am saying based on the limited info you are providing and your comparison site the project you have described (which is probably not what you need) is in the range of a couple mill a year.

CrownCloud

Activity: 467

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 03:27:23 PM

Something like :
http://codecanyon.net/item/js-hotel-booking-system/479152?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=joomlaskin

http://codecanyon.net/item/online-hotel-booking-system/2680320?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=bestsoftinc

http://codecanyon.net/item/booking-system/87919?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=Convergine

Not too sure if they are ready-to-go, you may have to modify them to your needs Smiley

CrownCloud - Internet Services
Dedicated servers, OpenVZ and KVM based VPSes and  in 4 locations. (We accept Bitcoin !)
http://crowncloud.net/
mr_gant

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 06:49:15 AM

Remember I am going off what a free lancer would get paid and that is a pretty big site, but what would think would be a fair price?

At minimum, a site like the one linked would cost $20k to launch. $80k+ is more likely, depending on requirements.

The other option is some $15/h offshore development company, with which it will cost $10k over 12 months to never launch.
elena.m

Activity: 24

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 07:35:36 AM

An important question here is, "how much like Tripadvisor?" If you're OK with a finicky low-end knockoff, you can probably get PHP programmers in the third world to do this for US$20,000. If you want something scalable, feature-full, and maintainable, with a good recommendation system, I would say US$200,000+, on the low end.

You'll need people, or an AI, to gather data for the site. I would recommend the former. Developing a good AI will cost a pretty penny, while data entry people are cheap, and once you get going you can crowdsource it.

Additionally, you'll need good negotiators to make any money with this. You can do it yourself if you're a people person, or outsource it to those who are. Again, the latter is going to set you back quite a bit.

If you're still interested, PM me. Wink
jaychristopher spendbitcoins.com

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 10:12:14 PM

It really depends on your vision as people have stated.

If I were planning to build a tripadvisor competitor, I'd probably start with a million dollars or so, only half of which is development, the other 1/2 is for marketing because it'd be a really brutal space to compete in. I wouldn't expect anything of decent quality for less than $40k, but personally I don't think it's worth doing anything unless it's done right and that's going to be $100-$200k. You need a good CFO, at least 1 really good coder, a web designer, support staff, etc. You won't be profitable day one and have to plan to maintain this staff for a year or so while getting to break even. Realistically, you're going to need many millions to compete in the space, so this would just be a good proof of concept seed stage.

On the other hand, maybe you don't really mean that you want it to be just like trip advisor.. maybe you could get away with a $20 template of themeforest. You're going to have to write out a full detailed document and draw out some basic wireframes to get a real quote. It'll range highly, but don't go for cheap -- it'll just end in disappointment 90% of the time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: