Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:57:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 112 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin dead?  (Read 110806 times)
Bonam (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 07:44:40 AM
Last edit: March 05, 2015, 08:00:58 AM by Bonam

I think it is.

Bitcoin use adoption has stalled. Media interest has dissipated. Prices have only slowly continued to decline for a long time now. Bitcoin securities have always been and still are a complete mess, with a near 100% failure (scam/fraud/incompetence/etc) rate. Mining has been concentrated in the hands of a few giant players, eliminating much of the advantage/security/democracy of thousands of individuals being the money processors. Alternative forms of online payment with US dollars (and other fiat currencies) are now cheaper, faster, and more secure than bitcoin (and of course far more usable to buy/sell real goods/services), eliminating any of its advantages as a payment system. Continued decline of bitcoin and strength in fiat currencies has put the lie to the idea of bitcoin as a store of value; there are far better more reliable hedges against inflation. Meanwhile the real economy is firing on all cylinders, stock markets are at all time highs, corporate earnings are higher than ever, unemployment is low, etc. Even amid the boom, no one cares about bitcoin any more. Bitcoin was a fad that lasted a few years, and is now on its way to being forgotten.

Thoughts? Anyone seriously disagree with this conclusion?
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 07:59:08 AM

short answer no, just a little crisis due to the price being low/many lost huge amount of money because they bought at the peak, taxes being a problem, and other small stuff

just a despair phase that is very long apparently
yui

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:36:09 AM

Don't be too greedy and trying to manipulate the price OP
Bonam (OP)

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:49:09 AM

Meh, no interest in crap like that. The only bitcoins I ever got were a few back when you could mine profitably with GPUs, and a few more in exchange for services. Never bought any with real money and don't plan to. What I am interested in is if anyone serious still sees a future in bitcoin, and if so, what they're reasons might be. That's why I started this thread.
tyrexs

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:59:01 AM

maybe end of 2015 bitcoin dead Sad

kitarohotono

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 09:17:17 AM

Bitcoin might be dying but blockchain tech lives on.
resya

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 09:31:44 AM

Bitcoin won't be dead... not in near future. People who says bitcoin is dead don't see the fact if bitcoin is dead, the other altcoin he trust will be dead too if it is not already!

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Quartx

Activity: 1036
Merit: 504

Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2015, 09:33:55 AM

Nah its not and probably will not for decades

V for Varoufakis

Activity: 261

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 09:50:41 AM

Gold standard is dead. A crypto-fiat, independent from banks, is the future.
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 09:59:25 AM

I am just surprised at the fact how come a senior member becomes a doomster of Bitcoin! After viewing you post history, I found you have involved a lot in the bitcoin stock investing. Probably you made some loss so you are despaired of it. In crypto world there are a lot of scams, fraudulence etc. It is fully understood that some ppl encounter it and leave. 

NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 10:06:19 AM

Meanwhile the real economy is firing on all cylinders, stock markets are at all time highs, corporate earnings are higher than ever, unemployment is low, etc. Even amid the boom, no one cares about bitcoin any more.

I disagree massively with this part.  Stock markets are high, agreed.  This is due to stock buybacks and huge bubble P/E ratios, not fundamentals though.  Unemployment as paid by the state is low, I agree.  But the participation level is very very low, almost the same as in the trough of the recession in 2008.  People may not care about Bitcoin, but do you seriously not think that there will be an "internet money" in the future, so that you can pay for anything, anywhere without having to convert?  I think there will be, and I am essentiall betting that it will be Bitcoin.
okthen

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 10:32:13 AM

Another bitcoin is dead thread?
This is so bullish.
We're going to the moon soon Grin

But seriously, just look at past graphs and recent news. It has been a long but not unseen bear market, and everyday there are new and very positive news! It's just a matter of time till the next phase of adoption starts Smiley
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2015, 12:19:11 PM

I don't know how you come to that conclusion but It's far from being dead if you were to ask me. And talk about media interest, there has been an active discussion going on news site not specifically onto btc alone. And the news site won't certainly write about the topic if there's no interest whatsoever in it.

http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2015/03/04/the-future-of-bitcoin-the-readers-weigh-in-at-a-glance/
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102476273

Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3414
Merit: 4319

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 01:18:42 PM

I think it is.

Bitcoin use adoption has stalled. Media interest has dissipated. Prices have only slowly continued to decline for a long time now. Bitcoin securities have always been and still are a complete mess, with a near 100% failure (scam/fraud/incompetence/etc) rate. Mining has been concentrated in the hands of a few giant players, eliminating much of the advantage/security/democracy of thousands of individuals being the money processors. Alternative forms of online payment with US dollars (and other fiat currencies) are now cheaper, faster, and more secure than bitcoin (and of course far more usable to buy/sell real goods/services), eliminating any of its advantages as a payment system. Continued decline of bitcoin and strength in fiat currencies has put the lie to the idea of bitcoin as a store of value; there are far better more reliable hedges against inflation. Meanwhile the real economy is firing on all cylinders, stock markets are at all time highs, corporate earnings are higher than ever, unemployment is low, etc. Even amid the boom, no one cares about bitcoin any more. Bitcoin was a fad that lasted a few years, and is now on its way to being forgotten.

Welcome on my never ending ignore list.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 02:19:07 PM

Meh, no interest in crap like that. The only bitcoins I ever got were a few back when you could mine profitably with GPUs, and a few more in exchange for services. Never bought any with real money and don't plan to. What I am interested in is if anyone serious still sees a future in bitcoin, and if so, what they're reasons might be. That's why I started this thread.

I believe in Bitcoin because it makes me the owner, and I mean the only owner of my money.

No one can tell me what to do with it, how to spend it, and how much I can spend.

Where can you send $100,000,000 for just $0.04 in fees? Can you tell me?  Wink

And don't forget the endless possibilities of the blockchain and the network power behind it.
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 03:10:13 PM

Bitcoin securities have always been and still are a complete mess, with a near 100% failure (scam/fraud/incompetence/etc) rate.

All the above securities failure are not related to bitcoin network itself, right?

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1031

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 03:13:13 PM

I've been following bitcoin deaths at http://bitcoinobituaries.com/ Smiley

It dies a lot...

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 03:17:51 PM

I think it is.

FTFY
I seriously disagree with most of what you wrote. Just because bitcoin bullrun didnt go everlasting doesnt mean the progress isnt being made, and that the technology will be abandoned.
It takes time for things to change, and it takes even more time to get worldwide acceptance.
It is a total miracle the price stopped declining where it did, considering mass cashouts people made due to insane amount of bitcoin horror stories and the fact the bullrun finished for now, i thought at first it will stop
at about 100$ or even lower.
Bitcoin is increasing its infuence week by week, and when true regulation takes place, that is when the corporate money will be dragged into it, and then, there is no stopping, but in the end, this is how i see things,
and how i feel about it, so results may vary.

cheers
LitcoinCollector
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 03:26:22 PM

No. Bitcoin price is taking a brake. The potential is still enormous, so I would stack up.  Cool
kitarohotono

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 04:14:05 PM

I think it is.

Welcome on my never ending ignore list.

http://www.tofugu.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/higabon-i-want-to-believe.jpg
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 112 »
  Print  

Jump to: