Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:33:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cartmell v. Bitcoinica  (Read 1665 times)
zby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 10:32:47 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99222.0

Do you guys expect this could be something significant?  After TradeHill and Bitcoinica itself I felt a bit concerned and moved my assets out from Intersango.   I also think it can trigger a wave of profit realising.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 10:34:41 PM

I feel this will set a bad legal precedent if it goes through. Bitcoin so far has been able to avoid any regulation, because it is deemed "play money" If there is a court case that recognized Bitcoin as a currency, prepare for incoming regulation.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 10:36:31 PM

I feel this will set a bad legal precedent if it goes through. Bitcoin so far has been able to avoid any regulation, because it is deemed "play money" If there is a court case that recognized Bitcoin as a currency, prepare for incoming regulation.

The exchanges would be regulated at best...not bitcoin.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 10:40:12 PM

I don't agree at all.  Once govn't starts ruling on bitcoin you'll see it move more in to the mainstream.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 10:40:33 PM

in the end they will not go to court, it will be a settlement ...

if it dose go to court, the court will hear both sides and come up with a verdict, that is all, they aren't their to debate weather bitcoin is currency.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 10:45:24 PM

Recognition of Bitcoin as money by governments is only a matter of time. I suspect they will call it "virtual currency" as this is the term used by both FINTRAC in Canada and the FBI in the United States. 

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
zby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 11:00:54 PM

It is now in the press hits forum: http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/10/3233711/second-bitcoin-lawsuit-is-filed-in-california
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 11:13:15 PM

FYI Bitcoin has already been deemed a "currency overlay" by the European Union long before that, so it's already "recognized"
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 11:17:14 PM

I don't agree at all.  Once govn't starts ruling on bitcoin you'll see it move more in to the mainstream.

Bingo. Bitcoin being a part of the legal system as soon as possible will be -good- for bitcoin. When it is considered legal to use it, it will be harder to make it -illegal- as there is already precedence showing it being legal.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 12:51:59 AM

I don't agree at all.  Once govn't starts ruling on bitcoin you'll see it move more in to the mainstream.

Bingo. Bitcoin being a part of the legal system as soon as possible will be -good- for bitcoin. When it is considered legal to use it, it will be harder to make it -illegal- as there is already precedence showing it being legal.

how about this?:

http://usahitman.com/realmoney-rp/

"Perhaps the biggest progress Paul made with Bernanke during the exchange came when the Fed Chairman classified gold and silver as alternative currencies. In the past, Bernanke has claimed that central banks only hold gold because of tradition. However, Bernanke’s stance on precious metals appeared more favorable in Wednesday’s exchange. When asked about competing and parallel currencies, Bernanke responded, “On alternative currencies, no one prevents you from holding silver or gold. If you want to its perfectly legal to do that. It’s also perfectly fine to hold euros, yen or whatever else.” Unfortunately, the dollar, euro and yen do not have thousands of years worth of history backing them."
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2012, 03:22:21 AM

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 03:38:53 AM

LOL!  you're so cute!
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 02:23:45 PM

I don't agree at all.  Once govn't starts ruling on bitcoin you'll see it move more in to the mainstream.

I agree with BCB.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078

BCJ

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 04:47:36 PM

FYI, I filed a complaint to get access to personal information relating to the ip's and phone numbers of scammer BTCmover with the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre which is a division of the Canadian Mountain Police.  The "message taker" wanted to know how I shipped the coins electronically? He had never taken a claim like this before.  When I told told him they were like facebook credits or game points he paused and bluntly stated that he didn't think there would be follow up on this case.

Evidently some governments don't even want to bother with bitcoin.....yet.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 09:40:34 PM

Recognition of Bitcoin as money by governments is only a matter of time. I suspect they will call it "virtual currency" as this is the term used by both FINTRAC in Canada and the FBI in the United States. 

lol, "virtual currency"... in contrast to "real money"?? they got it all backwards Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: