Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:42:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I have USD 2000 to invest. Should I buy Bitcoins or gold?  (Read 14388 times)
rjclarke2000
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 10:29:47 PM

$2000 isn't a lot of money. I believe it wouldn't be enough to invest in physical gold.

I'd go for Bitcoin and take the risk. No one got anywhere in life playing it safe.

If you can live with the fact that it COULD go to zero then do it.

I have and will again.
rjclarke2000
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 06:51:47 AM

Yeah ok I'll buy you whatever you want with my money dear hero member.

$2000 isn't a lot with regards to the profit or upside gold can give back. Btc could go up many times.

Gold? Near term I can't see more than a 5 x increase even if we have an ecnomic crisis. Hardly life changing.

Silver would give a better investment due to being around 75.1 with gold at present. So no, I wouldn't invest 2k into gold.

Enough with the attitude my friend
rjclarke2000
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 09:54:16 AM

Yeah ok I'll buy you whatever you want with my money dear hero member.

$2000 isn't a lot with regards to the profit or upside gold can give back. Btc could go up many times.

Gold? Near term I can't see more than a 5 x increase even if we have an ecnomic crisis. Hardly life changing.

Silver would give a better investment due to being around 75.1 with gold at present. So no, I wouldn't invest 2k into gold.

Enough with the attitude my friend

says the man with the weirdest attitude towards money ive seen in years...

....turning a grand into 5 is hardly life changing after all

Best Of Luck OP

Well I seem to have done ok in life my friend.
lexuz

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Me, myself and I

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 11:32:52 AM

$2000 isn't a lot of money. I believe it wouldn't be enough to invest in physical gold.

i don't know how you've come to these beliefs/conclusions but i disagree wholeheartedly.

1175USD will buy 1oz of gold TODAY

825USD will buy 3.5BTC TODAY

BOTH, 'decent' investments for someone with 2000USD

if 2000USD REALLY isnt a lot of money, feel free to invest that much in my BTC accumulation fund...

If you can live with the fact that it COULD go to zero then do it.

You have before & will again. Apparently

Yeah $2000 not much for investment holder, but for short trading its enough for take some profit. I think he can take benefit when bearish and bullish
dhimasnk

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 11:57:07 AM

If you want to invest in the long term should you invest in gold, but if you invest in the short term you could invest in bitcoin.

BUY LOW/SELL HIGH
24/7 TRADING BOT  GUNBOT  THE AUTOMATIC PROFIT GENERATOR FOR POLONIEX
LIMITED EDITION NOW AVAILABLE FOR KRAKEN AND BITTREX  My bitcoin address: 37xyZGoqmkeTTatsWcnFJS4iL4xdE4Cuia + wex.nz codes at Peermarketer@gmail.com
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 02:39:54 PM

Gold is forever.

I have the feeling gold may be indeed forever, but it doesn't automatically mean Gold is #1 forever. BTC is much better in a lot of ways, we never know how society will evolve in the future and its perceptions towards what is and what isn't the standard for wealth.
bitcollins85

Activity: 235
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:20:22 AM

I say buy Bitcoins at these levels. The worst you can do is lose a few dollars
Richard Branson

Activity: 515
Merit: 506

Screw It, Let's Do It

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 03:15:12 PM

I say buy Bitcoins at these levels. The worst you can do is lose a few dollars

Not everyone is as poor as you.
You can easily lose 1M with bitcoins.

ATM I have invested less than 1% of my savings in BTC, but still have more than a dozen coins. It is playmoney. Poor sluts will stay poor, even with bitcoin (expect the clever ones that bought below 1$).
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:19:44 PM

I have the feeling gold may be indeed forever, but it doesn't automatically mean Gold is #1 forever. BTC is much better in a lot of ways, we never know how society will evolve in the future and its perceptions towards what is and what isn't the standard for wealth.

The one question that is most interesting, I believe, is: What is going to happen first: Gold can be reproduced cheaply, or the algorithms (esp. hashing functions) used in Bitcoin can be reversed or undermined - and no new functions are being found to replace them? I don't really know where to place my bet on this one!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:25:13 PM

The one question that is most interesting, I believe, is: What is going to happen first: Gold can be reproduced cheaply, or the algorithms (esp. hashing functions) used in Bitcoin can be reversed or undermined - and no new functions are being found to replace them? I don't really know where to place my bet on this one!

Thats actually something that most havent even considered lol.

But effects the outcome immensely, since but I feel like gold will always somewhat harder since its not a digital thing. A miner has to dig several feet in the earths surface, only to filter through the sand for flakes, that eventually add up reasonable weight.

As a algorithm can be changed by coders several seconds if the hackathon comes up with an idea area to focus on. 
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:36:49 PM

But effects the outcome immensely, since but I feel like gold will always somewhat harder since its not a digital thing. A miner has to dig several feet in the earths surface, only to filter through the sand for flakes, that eventually add up reasonable weight.

As a algorithm can be changed by coders several seconds if the hackathon comes up with an idea area to focus on. 

Doesn't matter. We're living in an age of information. Money is being protected by algorithms. Algorithms make it much easier to verify claims, and to hinder people from doing things which they're not allowed to do. If - at one point - we can reproduce gold cheaply (think Star Trek's replicator), Gold will be pretty much worthless (almost, at least). One time pad encryptions, on the other hand, can't be broken - ever.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:25:58 PM

This discussion has lead to a really interesting point, actually! The replicability of Bitcoin has always been a high concern and also point of critique for many people who aren't convinced of Bitcoin's usefulness. I also believe that Bitcoin and Gold are quite similar what this is concerned, as both their scarcities could be attacked and circumvented at some point!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 05:07:55 PM

Doesn't matter. We're living in an age of information. Money is being protected by algorithms. Algorithms make it much easier to verify claims, and to hinder people from doing things which they're not allowed to do. If - at one point - we can reproduce gold cheaply (think Star Trek's replicator), Gold will be pretty much worthless (almost, at least). One time pad encryptions, on the other hand, can't be broken - ever.

If we ever reach that point then everything will be worthless as it can all be replicated including the replicators Smiley

All you'll need your BTC for is to pay the electric bill but that will be dirt cheap as we'll be on fusion reactor power by then.

Also are we closer to replicating gold in a cost efficient method or creating a fully functional quantum computer that can chew through BTC encryption.

saturn643

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 11:12:49 PM

There are a million ways it could go. You just have to place your bets and be at peace with them.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 12:00:29 AM

This discussion has lead to a really interesting point, actually! The replicability of Bitcoin has always been a high concern and also point of critique for many people who aren't convinced of Bitcoin's usefulness. I also believe that Bitcoin and Gold are quite similar what this is concerned, as both their scarcities could be attacked and circumvented at some point!

i agree that gold and bitcoin are quite similar, but with bitcoin you exactly know the amount that ever will be mined. not the case with gold. also important is that bitcoin has way more room for growth compared to gold.
centauribit

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 01:54:39 AM

Bitcoins at this point is a risky investment and I wouldn't suggest buying more bitcoins than you can afford to loose.

diodio1

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 10:12:42 AM

since you are posting in bitcoin forum , i would reccommend you to bought bitcoin

BurHan Alassad
Norther front commander for web security in Syrian Electronic ARMY.
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 10:16:19 AM

i agree that gold and bitcoin are quite similar, but with bitcoin you exactly know the amount that ever will be mined. not the case with gold. also important is that bitcoin has way more room for growth compared to gold.

I would disagree with this, the total amount of bitcoin to be mined could easily be changed if they decide to tweak the code in the future.  In theory it could be an infinite amount.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 10:29:20 AM

I would disagree with this, the total amount of bitcoin to be mined could easily be changed if they decide to tweak the code in the future.  In theory it could be an infinite amount.

That could be the case if the protocol became the plaything of a small number of big players who try to dictate what's what. They may also find that they're left with something worthless when their helpless users run for the exits or ignore the fork and stick with the old plan.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 12:24:18 PM

in theory there could be 1000 billion bitcoins. but the reality is that the core devs won't mess with the 21m coin cap. that's something we don't have to worry about.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: