Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:47:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin weakness private key loosed what to do !  (Read 1662 times)
sss555 (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 02:47:49 AM

private key loosed what to do !

Many one ask this question if i loose my private key what happen , each every bitcoin user know the coin from that address are gone ( some one take the coin )

How to avoid this in feature development . This is the one weakness in bitcoin ,

If some one bitcoin address that contain some bitcoin ( 1 or something ) the secret leaked ,

That the leaked address secret not any one used to take those coin from that address ,

only who is the real owner of that address he/she only spend those coin ,

this condition need ( if the secret leaked no problem condition need )

any ideas , algorithm , scripts , etc .......... discuss here it help feature development

Contribute : your  ideas , algorithm , scripts , etc ..........

Thank you all.................
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6577

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2015, 02:52:37 AM

not possible. many people have tried to come up with solutions to prevent people from stealing bitcoin, but it is not possible. How exactly would you be able to link a private key to a person digitally? It cannot be done. Instead of focusing on making it impossible to spend Bitcoin from stolen private keys, you should focus on making it impossible to steal them in the first place. That is much easier to do.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2015, 06:22:38 AM

The question is how do you distinguish between me as a person and you as a person?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 11:40:13 AM

only who is the real owner of that address he/she only spend those coin ,

How do you define who is the real owner?
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 12:41:50 PM

If I understand the OP correctly they seem to be asking for some way for the 'rightful owner' of a private key, who then has it stolen, to have some sort of fallback method of moving the coins without the private key.

For this to work there needs to be some sort of 'proof of identity' that the rightful owner could provide in lieu of the private key. In other words they need to have...

another private key.

This seems doable to me. Take whatever existing coins you have and transfer them to a new address by means of a 1-of-2 multisig transaction. Then, you need some way of separating the two private keys into two separate files (wallets or whatever). That might be the tricky bit - I've never done multisig transactions myself so I don't know how the major wallets implement them. You might have to 'hand-craft' a transaction. Finally you need to keep the two private keys very, very separate - like, one on your laptop in a wallet.dat, the other on some laminated paper in the household safe.

Then, when your laptop gets nicked, you use the key in the safe to move the coins. And vice-versa if the safe gets broken into. Of course there are failure-modes:
1) If BOTH your laptop and your safe get nicked you're effed.
2) If the thief spends the coins before you realise they're gone, you're effed.
3) You can't do all this retroactively. If the thief's already stolen your coins protected with a single private key, there's nothing you can do about that NOW, just do the multisig for your future coins.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 12:46:46 PM

Then, when your laptop gets nicked, you use the key in the safe to move the coins. And vice-versa if the safe gets broken into. Of course there are failure-modes:
1) If BOTH your laptop and your safe get nicked you're effed.
2) If the thief spends the coins before you realise they're gone, you're effed.
3) You can't do all this retroactively. If the thief's already stolen your coins protected with a single private key, there's nothing you can do about that NOW, just do the multisig for your future coins.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this, but wouldn't it be the same if you just printed your only private key on paper and kept it in a safe?

That way, when a thief nicks your  laptop, you open your safe, scan your paper, import your key and move your BTC to a new wallet before the thief figures out what that "bitcoin core"-program on your laptop is doing?

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2015, 03:48:20 PM

-snip-
another private key.
-snip-

... or a seed you keep seperate from your private keys. You know just in case something happens to your wallet or you forget the password....

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 11:52:17 PM

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this, but wouldn't it be the same if you just printed your only private key on paper and kept it in a safe?

Yeah. So basically, just backup your private key!

In fact now that I think about it a bit more, that's exactly how I've been guarding my stash these last three years!

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: