Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:06:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending bitcoins without miner fees  (Read 5556 times)
Berau (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 07:57:29 AM

i've send bitcoin without the fees, but it never come back, in the end it get through, but it takes much longer(2-3 hours in my case)

How much did you send? It must be a big amount!

I sent with 500 satoshi miners fee on a BTC0.1 transaction, but it took like 6 hours or something to confirm. Considering you sent with no fees at all, that's very good time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 08:35:58 AM

i've send bitcoin without the fees, but it never come back, in the end it get through, but it takes much longer(2-3 hours in my case)

I sent with 500 satoshi miners fee on a BTC0.1 transaction, but it took like 6 hours or something to confirm. Considering you sent with no fees at all, that's very good time.

I suggest you to read all this full explanation : http://bitcoinfees.com 

This is the part important :

"Finally, the client checks the size of the transaction in bytes. The size depends on the numbers of inputs and outputs, and is roughly:

| 148 * number_of_inputs + 34 * number_of_outputs + 10

If this size is less than 10,000 bytes and step 3 found that the transaction's priority was high enough to qualify as free, then the transaction still qualifies as free, otherwise a fee is required. The fee is charged per 1000 bytes or part thereof. The amount charged per 1000 bytes defaults to 0.0001 XBT, but can be increased in the Settings>Options>Main tab of the client. If you set the "fee per kB" to less than 0.0001 XBT in that dialog then a value of 0.0001 XBT will be used. When it applies, this fee per kB replaces any fee from step 2, rather than adding to it."
activebiz

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 10:09:37 AM

I always send bitcoins with low fees btw 100 and 1000 satoshi. it recommended to always add a fee to avoid the long wait.

Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1122

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 02:35:09 AM

what if a wallet contains many small (~5k sat) payouts. how long will it take for them to have high enough priority?
last time i sent some of these coins to an exchange and it had low priority while i had 0.0001 fee included.
the coins were at least a week in my wallet before sending.

Um.  A long time.  If you want to consolidate them without paying fees, put 20 of them together with a 1+ bitcoin input that's aged for more than 200 days and have one or two outputs of more reasonable size.  It may take a long-ish while to get a confirmation, as that'll be a big (in size) transaction and no-fee transactions propagate very slowly because they're rate-limited.  Wait for that output (or those outputs) to age for a while, then rinse, repeat. 
mistercoin
Legendary

Activity: 1038
Merit: 1000

https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 03:01:45 PM

So I have seen a few people sending bitcoins without any miner fees, and their amount eventually got sent back after a week or so.

So, what do you think the technique(or tips) for sending bitcoins without miner fees would be? This would be really helpful for sending small amounts less than BTC0.001 since the transaction fee would be more than 10% of the real amount transferred.

I really don't know why you would even send without any fee. It is just a PITA.. Also, for TX's smaller than the amount you specified, why not use something like Changetip or another off-chain service, until you have at least 0.01?

IDK, it just seems like a lot of messing around to get a tx sent, when you can just pay a couple cents to send quickly or use an off-chain service. Unless you forgot to add a fee..which happened to me when I first got into Bitcoin..I was waiting like 2 weeks for it to come back, and had lost all hope XD

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 09:59:57 PM

The minimum fee required for send a tx in the new bitcoin core is 1'000 satoshi,
This isn't true.  Transactions can happily be sent, relayed, and mined with no fee at all in Bitcoin core, if they have enough priority.
uminatsu

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 05:17:54 PM

So I have seen a few people sending bitcoins without any miner fees, and their amount eventually got sent back after a week or so.

So, what do you think the technique(or tips) for sending bitcoins without miner fees would be? This would be really helpful for sending small amounts less than BTC0.001 since the transaction fee would be more than 10% of the real amount transferred.

You must spend inputs with sufficient priority. That means to pick inputs that are large enough (BTC1 or higher), old enough (confirmed in the blockchain for 1 day or longer), and not too fragmented (ideally no more than a couple of inputs).

For example to send BTC0.001 you can pick a 1-day old input of BTC1 and send BTC0.999 change back to yourself.
notalin

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 10:10:22 AM

How did you do it ? Please !
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 09:14:29 PM

How did you do it ? Please !

Inputs of 1 Bitcoin with 144 confirmations (~1 day) typically have a high enough priority to be used in a transaction with a single output to be confirmed in a reasonable amount of time without the need of a fee. If the input you want to use is smaller you have to wait longer for the priority to be high enough. E.g. 0.1 BTC take 10 days, 0.01 100 days, etc. Keep in mind that this is no guarantee as there is only 50KByte reserved for transactions without fee in each block.

tl;dr: have >1 BTC or wait a long time.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
silversurfer1958

Activity: 474
Merit: 111

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 01:29:46 AM

I don't understand Bitcoin core well enough to know the reason why my thinking is wrong on this, but it must be because I can't imagine no one has thought of it before.
Since I've had it demonstrated many times I'm not  the genius I like to think I am, I'll ask my stupid question anyway and hope to learn something.

With the current centralisation problem, is there any way to split fees from mining so that anyone can verify a transaction, thus incentiving people to become Bitcoin nodes in order to collect transaction fees.
OK, the mining community are not going to like this idea but...

The next question which puzzles me is why, if centralised mining is becoming such a big issue, or problem, can the Major miners simple agree to
split their mining operations into smaller pieces so that they no longer encroach on the 51% threat.

Another question, or suggestion, why not add a small fractional percentage to the fees to be collected and then donated, either to a charity, to be used
advertising Bitcoin in the media, or as a prize for those who've done most for the Bitcoin community, or maybe all of the above.

gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 02:50:55 AM

I always send bitcoins with low fees btw 100 and 1000 satoshi. it recommended to always add a fee to avoid the long wait.

But, doesn't it put a wait on other remaining funds in your wallet that you can't send them before this transaction with lower fees get confirmed???

GreydonIselmoe

Activity: 294

Credits [CRE] - Community Manager

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 03:02:45 AM

My question is, what are you worrying about sending such small amounts for?

████████  The next evolutionary step in crypto-currency | Sidechain technology - Claimable - sha256   ███████
████████████████  C R E D I T S - [C R E]  ███████████████
◥ Proof of Work / Proof of Deposit mining system ◥ Official Website ◥ Bitcointalk Thread ◥ Exchange
megamore

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 04:23:36 AM

I think more better to spend a little fee to convenience our transaction
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 05:57:41 AM

This is a bit offtopic and should probably have its own thread, but Ill try to address the questions anyway.

-snip-
With the current centralisation problem, is there any way to split fees from mining so that anyone can verify a transaction,

Full nodes already verify a transaction they also decide whether or not to relay a transaction if it is valid, but does not meet certain criteria. One example would be the isDust() check. If a transaction creates an output that is smaller than 546 satoshi, it is considered Dust and will not be relayed. Miners might still put this transaction in a block, its just unlikely that the transaction will reach them.

thus incentiving people to become Bitcoin nodes in order to collect transaction fees.

In order to collect the fees one would currently have to find a block. Finding a block is intentional difficult to protect the network. There is also the issue how to determine which node should get a part of the reward. Its pretty easy to set up nodes that act like they have a full copy, but actually just relay block requests. Thus your suggestion would make it profitable to set up many nodes that are not actually helping anyone, but still get payment.

OK, the mining community are not going to like this idea but...

...without them, how could you fork bitcoin? If your new fork has no mining power, its very vulnerable.

The next question which puzzles me is why, if centralised mining is becoming such a big issue, or problem, can the Major miners simple agree to
split their mining operations into smaller pieces so that they no longer encroach on the 51% threat.

IIRC that happend in the past when GHash.io was close to 51% they split up their operations.

Another question, or suggestion, why not add a small fractional percentage to the fees to be collected and then donated, either to a charity, to be used
advertising Bitcoin in the media, or as a prize for those who've done most for the Bitcoin community, or maybe all of the above.

You are free to donate something with every transaction you create to an organisation you deem worthy. I wouldnt think its wise to force an advertising budget. One of Satoshis concerns was that bitcoin might grow too fast, I think we still have some issues to resolve before bitcoin is fit for mainstream adoption.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
leen93

Activity: 616

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 05:33:37 PM

The minimum fee required for send a tx in the new bitcoin core is 1'000 satoshi, I think with 1k  as fee your bitcoin will be confirmed in less than 30 minutes (try and report here your test with the transaction id).
not always in 3 blocks when you are unlucky and sometimes it takes more than an hour to create a new block so i wouldn't generalize to 30 min

btw, you can send for free at bitfinex  Cool
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 08:39:21 AM

My question is, what are you worrying about sending such small amounts for?

There are people who gamble their coins, and so there are ones who send such small amounts too, so if they win 10% of 0.001 i.e.; 0.0001, it's the miner fee itself that they get and so, they try to send these transactions without the fee.
yeponlyone

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 09:35:27 AM

The amount can be small or big. If one of the output is a dust transaction, the time to confirm would be much slower. the larger the amount, the faster the confirmation time since the input affects the equation to calculate priority.
rikfredsy

Activity: 256

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 03:40:27 PM

Hmmm this should be not possible but not recommanded , you may have double spent or your transaction could take alot of
time to be confirmed , but i see people now sending 10 BTC with 0,0001 fees and also didn't took a lot of time .

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 04:20:39 PM

The amount can be small or big. If one of the output is a dust transaction, the time to confirm would be much slower. the larger the amount, the faster the confirmation time since the input affects the equation to calculate priority.

i think the amount doesn't matter much, because it was only 0.01 and it required 2 hour only to recieve first confirmation...also, the thing that matter more is how many transactions there are in that time  when you sent your amount

while queue positions can be problematic... because you don't know how many fee the others are using to speed up their transactions, so although you raise it, won't mean that will be faster....
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: