Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:16:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone tell me how this is a scam  (Read 1793 times)
DT3 (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 06:24:53 PM

So in my experience if something is too good to be true it tends to be the case.

Browsing the sell ads of local bitcoins and I come across this posting

https://localbitcoins.com/ad/154624/cash-out-your-bitcoins-paypal-mycash-just-say-go?

Dude is willing to pay 349 a coin or about a 20%+ premium to spot price in exchange for my paypal cash code. So obviously the first thing that pops into my mind is scam, but dude has 500+ transactions with 100% feedback. Can someone tell me what I'm missing here?
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LordSonjai

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 06:29:37 PM

maybe nothing?
LordSonjai

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 06:33:52 PM

i dont trust it.
its fraudulent. First thing that stands out is "paypal-cash.com" says its "official" when its not,check the certificate. Its fraudulent,I really dont have to undergo a thorough investigation obviously its a scam. Something isn't right here is the guy buying or selling because he leads you to this fraudulent web page to load your "paypal" account obviously this website is where he would steal your money. Its a load of crap.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 07:35:01 PM

Rule n1 in the cryptoworld: If you were to ask "Is this a scam?" then my friend, it IS a scam. Stay away.
juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 07:48:07 PM

So in my experience if something is too good to be true it tends to be the case.

Browsing the sell ads of local bitcoins and I come across this posting

https://localbitcoins.com/ad/154624/cash-out-your-bitcoins-paypal-mycash-just-say-go?

Dude is willing to pay 349 a coin or about a 20%+ premium to spot price in exchange for my paypal cash code. So obviously the first thing that pops into my mind is scam, but dude has 500+ transactions with 100% feedback. Can someone tell me what I'm missing here?

That user probably has boat loads of Paypal MyCash Cards from some type of "en-devour". (Probably stole a box of the Paypal MyCash Cards from a Drugstore/711, or bought them on a large discount) That user most likely is probably just trying to convert those cards to a decent store of value. I would most likely just stay away from that trade, Paypal and Bitcoin typically don't mix too well together, in the past transactions on Paypal have been reversed by users. In those cases the Majority of the Bitcoin in these transactions were not sent back after Paypal was reversed. In this case, I think the user physically gives you the MyCash Cards so it might actually be pretty safe as long as the codes cant be copied before the trade, who knows if he wrote down the cards serial numbers or something. (Not sure how Paypal MyCash works, just from a google search)
DT3 (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 07:57:41 PM

No he gives you  the code online and you apply it to your paypal account, at least that's how its supposed to work.

Also these cards need to be activated and that can only happen if payment is made at the cashier so steeling a bunch of cards doesnt help him he'd have to pay to have any value.

Phildo
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 08:36:46 PM

He puts the cash in your paypal account. You send him bitcoins. He (or whoever he stole the paypal cash from) does a chargeback on the paypal cash. They win because you don't have a receipt for shipping. He has your bitcoins, you have nothing and/or a frozen paypal account.
DT3 (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 08:50:32 PM

Lets not mix things up here.

He is selling a paypal cash code, which means he gives you a code that you redeem in your paypal account. Not sending you paypal money.

As far as I've researched these paypal cash codes are not reversible.

I'm sure there is something wrong with this but with 500+ transaction and 100% feedback I cant seem to find it.
r4vani

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

Play Poker Games at Bitoker.com

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 11:32:20 PM

Information on CoinX4
Trade volume : Higher than 150 BTC
Number of confirmed trades : 500+ …with 220 different partners
Feedback score : 100 %
 Huh Huh Huh Huh

BITOKER.COM[

Enjoy the ultimate online play bitcoin poker
Anonymous  /  US Player Friendly  /  Instant Play
[

]
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 12:36:56 AM

Looks like he's selling bitcoins on Ebay for $400+ so that could explain the 20% markup in price he still makes profit. His abundance in codes likely means he works wherever they sell these codes or knows somebody who does and just asks them to grab one and activate it immediately. If he was somehow ripping them from a database his reviews wouldn't last that long.

Alternate version: He's doing something shady like selling booters and scripts on hackforums for paypal codes, needs a way to turn those codes into bitcoins to cash himself out without being flagged by PP for adding too many codes.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 08:56:11 AM

maybe he got those cash-code for far less, or for free?
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 11:01:38 AM

It might be that he bought the account from someone who previously had successful trades using other payment instruments. And he might send you stolen Paypal funds or cashback after the trade.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
justforbtc

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 01:58:29 PM

i dont trust it.
its fraudulent. First thing that stands out is "paypal-cash.com" says its "official" when its not,check the certificate. Its fraudulent,I really dont have to undergo a thorough investigation obviously its a scam. Something isn't right here is the guy buying or selling because he leads you to this fraudulent web page to load your "paypal" account obviously this website is where he would steal your money. Its a load of crap.

The site certificate is trusted by IE and chrome but not firefox. I think it is a problem of firefox because the certificate was issued by the a trusted root certificate VeriSign.
MrDjAK

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 07:13:09 PM

This is suspicius to me
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: