Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 03:21:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Days Destroyed  (Read 3713 times)
LuciusDeBeers (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:55:52 PM

http://blockchain.info/charts/bitcoin-days-destroyed-cumulative

What are your conclusions on how this affects the price?
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:57:44 PM

Okay how are days destroyed?

Be humble!
LuciusDeBeers (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 12:01:40 AM

"...you multiply the amount of each transaction by the number of days since those coins were last spent. So, 1 bitcoin that hasn't been spent in 100 days (1 bitcoin * 100 days) counts as much as 100 bitcoins that were just spent yesterday (100 bitcoins * 1 day). Because you can think of these "bitcoin days" as building up over time until a transaction actually occurs, the actual measure is called "bitcoin days destroyed". This is believed to give a better indication of how much real economic activity is occurring on the bitcoin network."

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/a/847
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 12:05:46 AM

By combining them with anti-days.  Duh.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 12:20:01 AM

The cumulative chart is pretty useless.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 12:27:25 AM

The cumulative chart is pretty useless.
There was an indicator called "Bitcoin Days Destroyed %" which was (and still is) utterly broken, because unless there is a major slowdown it always tended up. The cumulative Bitcoin Days Destroyed chart is slightly better because it does not rely on an upper bound that will eventually approximate the growth of the lower bound.

In my opinion, "average coin age" is a much more useful heuristic than all of these; however, it tends to fluctuate less than them as well.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 02:23:20 AM

I tried overlapping plots of days destroyed with the price - no correlation. Sure you can find some exciting coincidences (large movements just prior to rallies), but if you take an honest look at it, you'll find just as many instances of the opposite.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 02:15:58 PM

http://blockchain.info/charts/bitcoin-days-destroyed-cumulative

What are your conclusions on how this affects the price?

The theory is that it could indicate paper-wallet coins being moved into exchanges... that is, a big dump coming.
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 02:39:26 PM

I never understood the philosophy behind "Days Destroyed." Why should the transfer of long-sitting money be considered more significant than the transfer of money that has recently been spent?

I mean, if I want to buy something, I could send them the Bitcoins I received yesterday, or I could send them the Bitcoins I received years ago. They are both the exchange of Bitcoins for stuff, but the latter would push up the "Days Destroyed" statistic. I don't see the economic difference between the two actions.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
niko

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 02:49:01 PM

I never understood the philosophy behind "Days Destroyed." Why should the transfer of long-sitting money be considered more significant than the transfer of money that has recently been spent?

I mean, if I want to buy something, I could send them the Bitcoins I received yesterday, or I could send them the Bitcoins I received years ago. They are both the exchange of Bitcoins for stuff, but the latter would push up the "Days Destroyed" statistic. I don't see the economic difference between the two actions.

Think savings.

barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 04:59:56 PM

Think savings.

OK, going back to my example - I want to spend 1 BTC on a widget. I could spend my Bitcoin I received five minutes ago, which would only slightly increase the Days Destroyed statistic. Or I could spend a Bitcoin I received two years ago, which would much more greatly increase Days Destroyed. But there's no difference in my savings between these two actions.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
niko

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 05:10:12 PM

Think savings.

OK, going back to my example - I want to spend 1 BTC on a widget. I could spend my Bitcoin I received five minutes ago, which would only slightly increase the Days Destroyed statistic. Or I could spend a Bitcoin I received two years ago, which would much more greatly increase Days Destroyed. But there's no difference in my savings between these two actions.
The assumption is that people hold largest portion of their coins in "savings" wallets, likely offline.  They break the piggy to spend (today this means exchanging for fiat), which increases bdd.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 05:16:19 PM

Your 200,000 BTC from back in 2010 are unlikely to be in your daily wallet.  Even if they were the coin picking algorithm is more likely to select newer coins that still avoid mandatory fees.

While you could spend 200,000 BTC to pay for 1 BTC trivial transaction it is unlikely you would.  On the other hand say you decided you want to get a $100,000.  Moving 1 BTC to the exchange isn't going to do that.  Moving 10,000 BTC from 3 years ago is going to result in a major spike in BitcoinDays destroyed.

Like most metrics it doesn't matter what the individual is doing it matters what the aggegate is doing.  Generally speaking in aggregate giant, old coins aren't being moved for trivial purposes.

To op: the cumulative chart is totally useless.  It is just a pretty upward sloping line. 

You should be looking at daily chart.
http://blockchain.info/charts/bitcoin-days-destroyed?timespan=30days&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: