Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:14:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: uTorrent EpicScale bitcoin miner  (Read 1643 times)
(oYo)

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 07:41:38 PM

You don't need to remove uTorrent unless you are trying to make a statement. I wasn't "tricked" into installing EpicScale, and don't feel like that was uTorrent's intention, so I'm still using uTorrent.

Thanks for the answer...
But one more thing I wish to know is, if it ain't the intention of uTorrent itself, why would they allow such a software as an add-on during uTorrent's main software installation???

uTorrent isn't the only one doing this. Nearly every other company out there is trying to sneak a little something extra in their installs. People need to do a little due diligence these days (and not just blindly click the 'next button') to prevent unwanted programs from being installed on their computers. This is unfortunately just the way it is and I can only imagine it's going to get worse, not better.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 07:54:10 PM

You don't need to remove uTorrent unless you are trying to make a statement. I wasn't "tricked" into installing EpicScale, and don't feel like that was uTorrent's intention, so I'm still using uTorrent.

Thanks for the answer...
But one more thing I wish to know is, if it ain't the intention of uTorrent itself, why would they allow such a software as an add-on during uTorrent's main software installation???

uTorrent isn't the only one doing this. Nearly every other company out there is trying to sneak a little something extra in their installs. People need to do a little due diligence these days (and not just blindly click the 'next button') to prevent unwanted programs from being installed on their computers. This is unfortunately just the way it is and I can only imagine it's going to get worse, not better.

EpicScale wasn't just the only program it asked me to install, there were two more including some Video accelerator and I even downloaded it... You are true, as it might never get better as companies are making money from people's PCs and a vice-versa situation was when Facebooks computers were hacked and mined some huge amount of BTCs unless it got caught and revealed...

Bizmark13

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 08:54:09 PM

Thank you OP for sharing such a useful information...
Though I would like to ask you one thing, that is it just EpicScale we should delete, or we need to get rid of uTorrent also?

I personally am a fan of uTorrent and I didn't ever think that why they would do that...

As you said, even due to this, my lappy was always experiencing over-heat problems, and due to it, I ain't even able to do multi-tasking nowadays as I am a crazy movie downloader.

There are reports that uninstalling Epic Scale via the control panel isn't actually quite as straightforward as it seems since a lot of files and registry entries are supposedly left behind which need to be removed manually.

Thanks for the answer...

They do it for the money basically. Since the software itself is free, that is one way they can generate money from it. Many freeware programs also have a paid pro version that omits these extra "goodies" which might be worth the extra expense. You're right that many companies are doing this although the practice isn't exactly new. Kazaa did it. Nero did it. You could even argue that OEM PC manufacturers that install pointless third party bloatware on their products are doing some form of it. Even Oracle does so by including the Ask! Toolbar and McAfee Security Scanner with their Java installer.

As for exactly how uTorrent might benefit in this situation:

Quote from: Wikipedia
In March 2015, it was alleged that µTorrent had automatically installed a program known as Epic Scale—a program classified as "riskware" by some security programs, which mines the cryptocurrency Litecoin in the background for charity (a cut of which is given to BitTorrent, Inc.), utilizing CPU and GPU power.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTorrent
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 09:33:28 PM

The trick is to read through each and every step of the installation CAREFULLY. This goes for all software, but uTorrent especially. What uTorrent did was that they wrote their installer so that it can be quite easy to overlook the fact that you agreed to install Epic Scale which tricked some users into thinking that it was not optional. If you don't want your home computer to become a Litecoin mining rig, then this is the part of the installation that you should look out for:

Well, reading between two nexts could be useful Smiley.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: