Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:44:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC Miner (Butterfly Labs Single @60Gh/s) Miner for 10-36 hours then stops.  (Read 2068 times)
A Parylized Taillow (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 09:50:15 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2015, 11:25:39 PM by A Parylized Taillow

So, I purchased a Butterfly Labs Single @60Gh/s off of Ebay a while back. I have it set up to intake air from outside in the winter and expel air outside in the summer. currently it is expelling air.

I have the power supply set up and on and a mini USB cable plugged into the miner,climbing a slope, plugging into a USB extender, the plugging into my computer's back USB slot (USB 2.0).

I am using EasyMiner currently but have also used BFGminer.

On EasyMiner, after 10-36 hours the hardware speed and temperature will freeze, not moving from their last recorded points.
Attempting to restart the miner will give the status as "starting miner" for an unlimited amount of time. it will not work even if closed and reopened.

On BFGminer, after the same time (10-36 hours) the shares will stop going and the miner will indicate something about a temperature indicator not responding and that it is declaring SICK.
SICK will display in the top left corner of BFGminer. If i close BFGminer then when i open it again it only says BFGminer and the version and doesn't go past that, even if i encountered the error on EasyMiner.

the Eclipse MC dashboard reports 0 Gh/s and no new shares since that point on both miners.

The issue only resolves itself if i restart my computer. then it mines 36 hours and dies again.

Any help is most appreciated.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 02:42:56 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2015, 03:01:14 AM by Zich

So, I purchased a Butterfly Labs Single @60Gh/s off of Ebay a while back. I have it set up to intake air from outside in the winter and expel air outside in the summer. currently it is expelling air.

I have the power supply set up and on and a mini USB cable plugged into the miner,climbing a slope, plugging into a USB extender, the plugging into my computer's back USB slot (USB 2.0).

On EasyMiner, after 10-36 hours the hardware speed and temperature will freeze, not moving from their last recorded points.
Attempting to restart the miner will give the status as "starting miner" for an unlimited amount of time. it will not work even if closed and reopened.

On BFGminer, after the same time (10-36 hours) the shares will stop going and the miner will indicate something about a temperature indicator not responding and that it is declaring SICK.
SICK will display in the top left corner of BFGminer. If i close BFGminer then when i open it again it only says BFGminer and the version and doesn't go past that, even if i encountered the error on EasyMiner.

the Eclipse MC dashboard reports 0 Gh/s and no new shares since that point on both miners.

The issue only resolves itself if i restart my computer. then it mines 36 hours and dies again.

What kind of psu did you use?
You might want to open the case & check the heatsink.
needFREElunch

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Hi

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 02:55:11 AM

I would call them for support but I hear butterflylabs is not that good for that kinda thing.

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:19:33 PM

First and foremost stop using BFL's easyminer, that program is garbage....always has been always will be.  Secondly, if your getting basically the same result(s) between easyminer and bfgminer odds are good that the root of your issue is one of 2 possibilites:

1.) Overheating
2.) PSU related

I would strongly suggest keeping a really close eye on your unit(s) around the 32-36 hour mark next time and compare your temperatures and power draws from whatever results you record after your first hour or so of hashing.  I suspect your units are reaching some sort of temperature threshold and shutting down before any permanent damage is done.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
A Parylized Taillow (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 12:58:37 AM

What kind of psu did you use?
You might want to open the case & check the heatsink.

EVGA 500B.
I've allready opened the case as one of the fans broke and i had to jerry rig a giant fan to blow into the case. runs 5c cooler.

built in thermometer reads 68-70c at all times. no change.

Case is still kinda dusty from previous owner, but functions fine.

First and foremost stop using BFL's easyminer, that program is garbage....always has been always will be.  Secondly, if your getting basically the same result(s) between easyminer and bfgminer odds are good that the root of your issue is one of 2 possibilites:

1.) Overheating
2.) PSU related

I would strongly suggest keeping a really close eye on your unit(s) around the 32-36 hour mark next time and compare your temperatures and power draws from whatever results you record after your first hour or so of hashing.  I suspect your units are reaching some sort of temperature threshold and shutting down before any permanent damage is done.

Funny, the PSU (EVGA 500B) feels no warmer and functions fine. no change in internal temp either for the miner. (68-70c)
A Parylized Taillow (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 03:19:10 AM

bump
Ecnad

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 05:28:46 AM

No answers for you... but I just upgraded the fans in my Single30 which I believe has the same case set-up as yours, so if you need one of the old fans I'd be glad to send it (or both) if you cover shipping.

Or if you prefer new, I replaced mine with these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RESFYK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Temps are great (50-55) and MUCH quieter than the stock fans.
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 06:16:26 PM

I had the sme problem when I ran those singles and was using  ez miner also. But only had that problem on my desktop and once I switch them over to my laptop I no longer had a problem. I always wondered if I had some sort of RAM problem on that desktop?

I solved all BFL problems when I sold them!  Tongue
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 10:25:08 PM

Think you best getting new PSU installed looking at temps on system and then look at the voltage its using might be over volting and cutting out. Could also be over heating and cutting out. Can be one or the other or even a mixture of them all. Need to find out what the cause is and a process of elimination. Maybe start at running finding out what temp unit goes to then seeing if cuts off due to max temp hit. Then if it is not this then look at power being used and look at what the PSU wattage is and get some unit on it to measure what is being used on it. Could well be any of the above but needs more of a closer look doing one at a time.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █