Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:52:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitnodes Project 2015 Q1 Report: Peer Index and Incentivized Full Nodes  (Read 1267 times)
Mikestang (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 05:16:13 PM

A good read for anyone running a full node.  I'm going to check my PIX value when I get home (don't know my IP address off the top of my head).  The incentive program looks cool, too.

http://blog.bitcoinfoundation.org/bitnodes-project-2015-q1-report-peer-index-and-incentivized-full-nodes/

During this quarter, I have also started the Bitnodes Incentive Program as a personal experiment to allow reachable nodes with Bitcoin address set to receive weekly incentive paid in bitcoins. The program has issued its first incentive just last week and will continue to do so until the end of this year or when we hit 10,000 reachable nodes, whichever comes first. While the program is the first of its kind, it is still far from an ideal solution but hopefully we can see some more serious discussions, e.g. #5783, from the community to look into ways to sustain more full nodes distributed across the globe. In the mean time, if you are already running a full node, you can enroll your node in the program by following the instructions in https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/incentive/.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RocketSingh
Legendary

Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 05:43:55 PM

A good read for anyone running a full node.  I'm going to check my PIX value when I get home (don't know my IP address off the top of my head).  The incentive program looks cool, too.

http://blog.bitcoinfoundation.org/bitnodes-project-2015-q1-report-peer-index-and-incentivized-full-nodes/

During this quarter, I have also started the Bitnodes Incentive Program as a personal experiment to allow reachable nodes with Bitcoin address set to receive weekly incentive paid in bitcoins. The program has issued its first incentive just last week and will continue to do so until the end of this year or when we hit 10,000 reachable nodes, whichever comes first. While the program is the first of its kind, it is still far from an ideal solution but hopefully we can see some more serious discussions, e.g. #5783, from the community to look into ways to sustain more full nodes distributed across the globe. In the mean time, if you are already running a full node, you can enroll your node in the program by following the instructions in https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/incentive/.

This is interesting. Incentivizing full nodes is a good step forward. This might attract more people to run a full note and thereby make the network stronger...

Megabyte

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 11:15:18 PM

Does someone knows if a static IP address is required for participation or it will work with a dynamic IP address?
disclosure

Activity: 38

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 11:18:19 PM

Does someone knows if a static IP address is required for participation or it will work with a dynamic IP address?
The PIX value documented in https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/leaderboard/#peer-index considers weekly latency as well. If you are behind dynamic IP, you may not stay on the same IP for a week hence limiting the PIX value that your node can reach.
Megabyte

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 11:25:02 PM

The PIX value documented in https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/leaderboard/#peer-index considers weekly latency as well. If you are behind dynamic IP, you may not stay on the same IP for a week hence limiting the PIX value that your node can reach.

My IP address changes every 6 months or so, or whenever router is off for at least 2 hours, I think I'll give this a try, I'll have to set up something to warn me if IP address change, any ideas on this?
Mikestang (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 11:58:00 PM

My IP address changes every 6 months or so, or whenever router is off for at least 2 hours, I think I'll give this a try, I'll have to set up something to warn me if IP address change, any ideas on this?

Bitnode sends out emails when your node goes up or comes down once you register an email address.  If you get an email saying your node is down, but  you have internet connectivity, then check if your IP address has changed.
Megabyte

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 11:15:56 PM

Bitnode sends out emails when your node goes up or comes down once you register an email address.  If you get an email saying your node is down, but  you have internet connectivity, then check if your IP address has changed.

That will work, thanks!
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 08:44:11 AM

interesting project, i will take a look. thx.

Mikestang (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 06:35:57 PM

I wish I knew how to make an API call so I could associate a btc address with my node, but unfortunately that's beyond my skill level.  Sad
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 06:47:50 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2015, 07:05:07 PM by Mitchełł

I have a full node running but the vps it's hosted on isn't powerful enough to sustain 1000+ connections so I won't be able to collect the price. It's still a petty neat idea!

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
n3rvi0zz0

Activity: 289
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 06:52:42 PM

node ready  Grin Grin

https://bizzilion.com/?ref=n3rvi0zz0

Earn up to 1.5% daily investing in the best platform of internet
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 06:57:46 PM

I have a full node running but the vps it's hosted on isn't powerful enough to sustain 100+ connections so I won't be able to collect the price. It's still a petty neat idea!

100+ connections are not needed, your nodes has a PIX of 8.5338. All you have to do is register an address.

Edit: more here -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=952996.0

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 07:04:38 PM

I have a full node running but the vps it's hosted on isn't powerful enough to sustain 100+ connections so I won't be able to collect the price. It's still a petty neat idea!

100+ connections are not needed, your nodes has a PIX of 8.5338. All you have to do is register an address.

Wait what? I thought their program was only for notes with a thousand connections or more. I'll look into it. Thanks shorena!

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 07:07:49 PM

Wait what? I thought their program was only for notes with a thousand connections or more. I'll look into it. Thanks shorena!

Nope my shitty not so powerful VPS node is actually on place ~400-500 on their ranking. Its pretty easy to get over 8.0 PIX with an up to date client thats online 24/7 and is fully snyced. A full node on a home line will probably make it if they have a fixed IP and ~10MBit/s upstream.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: