Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:19:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So we did stop calling it an experiment, did we not?  (Read 1617 times)
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 04:01:31 PM

I think, it depends on how you use your Bitcoin.
I often meet people that seems to be only interested in the speculative side, and for this people I call it an experiment with a lot of uncertainty, hoping that will prevent them from gambling too much with it.
For other people, I just try to show the practical use. In Austria, that is mostly using purse.io, which really brings a clear advantage, even if you are not an Bitcoin-Enthusiast. Using purse.io is not experimental, it works quite well.
Bitcoin stopping to be an experiment, doesn't mean, there is no more improvement to be made.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2015, 04:08:16 PM

i think it really depends on the hypothesis.

Hypothesis 1: A trustless peer-to-peer system can be used for transactions
Hypothesis 2: These transaction units can be used as currency
Hypothesis 3: Using this system as currency can reduce our dependency on centralized banking and monetary systems.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2015, 04:37:12 PM

Bitcoin is far from experiment, it's fully functional thing, even for several years now.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 04:51:01 PM

I think it depends on how you define it. As a software it is indeed a new paradigm and hugely successful. As an economic vehicle it has a ways to go. The massive frauds perpetrated over the last few years have damaged it terribly from an economic stand point.

I would say from a software standpoint it is no longer an experiment. From an economic standpoint it very much still is.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 05:00:08 PM

Maybe prototype is a better term than experiment. I think it's still in that phase. Once it can scale properly it'll be ready to move forward.

Perhaps it'll never stop being an experiment in the eyes of many.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 05:06:41 PM

it's experimental until it remain in beta phase, to many things to correct, from many point of view(ecnomic, software ecc...)
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 05:12:54 PM

it's experimental until it remain in beta phase, to many things to correct, from many point of view(ecnomic, software ecc...)

which basically means that it can take another five or so years before we can say it's not beta anymore.
i think most people agree on the fact that we consider bitcoin still experimental. atleast from the economic point of view.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: