Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:33:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could 1 satoshi become worth $1?  (Read 5329 times)
mcplums

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 01:33:30 PM

at that point, a can of pop will cost a few thousand dollars at least, so there really is very little use for cents. So it's not a problem.

Did you grow up reading the Beano?
asuryan180

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 01:39:21 PM

at that point, a can of pop will cost a few thousand dollars at least, so there really is very little use for cents. So it's not a problem.

Not sure why it would matter what he grew up reading to be honest, his point is if inflation continues and turns to hyper inflation that is the consequence of pumping fake money into the supply continuously then a loaf of bread could possibly cost a couple of hundred dollars or more, so at that point if that point came then there could be a chance of a single satoshi rising in value maybe not a dollar but definitely a rise but it will not make it worth anymore in reality..

mcplums

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 01:53:19 PM

Not sure why it would matter what he grew up reading to be honest, his point is if inflation continues and turns to hyper inflation that is the consequence of pumping fake money into the supply continuously then a loaf of bread could possibly cost a couple of hundred dollars or more, so at that point if that point came then there could be a chance of a single satoshi rising in value maybe not a dollar but definitely a rise but it will not make it worth anymore in reality..

I know, that wasn't what I was saying. I was just intrigued by the phrase 'a can of pop' since I've never seen that used outside the Beano. And there's nothing wrong with growing up reading it. I loved it.
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 01:39:37 PM

Possible but quite unlikely. If Bitcoin were to replace all the fiat in the world in every single country, it would reach about $1 million per coin for a total market cap of about $21 trillion (actually it's slightly less than this due to some coins being lost over time). In that case, 1 satoshi would still only be worth 1 cent.

However, if this happens in the very distant future then it's possible that USD could lose 99 percent of its value due to simple inflation. If this happened, 1 USD by then would be worth 0.01 USD today. The dollar has already lost 96 percent of its value since 1913 so it's not impossible. So perhaps once Bitcoin is fully mined in the year 2140, 1 satoshi being worth 1 USD might be possible. Not that it really matters however since a coffee would cost you $300.

And finally, there is also the risk of hyperinflation. It happened in Germany. It happened in Hungary. It happened in Yugoslavia. And most recently, it happened in Zimbabwe. It could happen in the US too. This would have the same result as above although it would obviously happen much faster.

Additional note: If Bitcoin reached a status comparable to that of gold, then it would reach roughly $350,000. That would be a more realistic scenario.
What's important is to try to calculate what will be the purchasing power of 1 BTC in the next 10 or 20 years, not the parity with dollar which could indeed decrease a lot. The question is: how??
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 02:32:26 PM

I know, that wasn't what I was saying. I was just intrigued by the phrase 'a can of pop' since I've never seen that used outside the Beano. And there's nothing wrong with growing up reading it. I loved it.
Never heard of beano. Where do you live? I live in Vancouver. It's pretty common here. A can of soda sounds weird to me, so I don't know how else you would mention "an aluminum can, usually 355ml's worth of carbonated drink such as coca cola and sprite"?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: