Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:14:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian Town Bans Spitting, Swearing And Gathering In Groups Of Three Or More  (Read 1402 times)
(oYo) (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 06:56:39 AM
Last edit: March 13, 2015, 10:43:44 AM by (oYo)

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150311/05155730284/canadian-town-bans-spitting-swearing-gathering-groups-three-more.shtml

Taber, a town of 8,100 in Alberta, Canada, must be in the midst of the nation's smallest and least impressive crimewave. How else would you explain the town's new "Community Standards Bylaw," which imposes the following on its residents?

With a sweeping new bylaw, the southern Alberta town of Taber has outlawed swearing in public, instituted a nightly curfew on kids and teenagers, and granted local law enforcement the power to break up any assemblies of three or more people.

It's petty enough in the summary, but it gets even worse in the fine print.

Here's the "swearing" part of the bylaw:

No person shall yell, scream, or swear in any Public Place.

Which won't hold up to Canada's free speech laws, even with the plentiful exceptions the government can enact at any time. And it will apparently be up to patrolling officers to decide when a raised voice constitutes a "yell," and always with one ear cocked towards any errant public swearing occuring at lower volumes.

Then there's this part of the bylaw, which makes possibly disturbing others a crime.

No persons shall, during any period of the day allow, suffer or permit any electronic equipment, musical instruments, vehicles or any other devices to be sounded or used in any area of the Town of Taber, that may, or is likely, to disturb others.

There's also a clause apparently inserted by Taber's Behavior Nazis solely to anger the world's Grammar Nazis.

And bad cops will have all sorts of fun with this one:

No person shall be a member of the assembly of three or more persons in any Public Place where a Peace Officer has reasonable grounds to believe the assembly will disturb the peace of the neighborhood, and any such person shall disperse as requested by a Peace Officer.

"Reasonable grounds." As is common to the rest of the bylaw, criminal intent is scuttled in preference of "whatever the Peace Officer believes."

So, what has prompted this move towards a more controlled populace? The answer appears to be that it's just something the town's law enforcement wanted.

[Police Commission Chairman Ken] Holst said the goal of the bylaw was “to give another layer of tools to our police service.”

He said it came largely in response to concerns raised by citizens in a survey commissioned by the Taber Police Service.

“Graffiti was the main concern and the second concern was large gatherings of youth and other people on town property, sometimes causing issues,” he said.

While some of those issues could be addressed through existing provincial and federal laws, Holst said Taber wanted to empower its law enforcement when an offence is “imminent to occur,” which he described as “preventative policing.”

Ah, the old "thoughtcrime," as practiced by loitering youths. Holst didn't want this community of 8,100 to suffer the existential threat posed by aimless teens, so he and his law enforcement buddies helped write the bylaw.

Holst said the bylaw was drafted by town staff and the Taber Police Service and was reviewed by the police commission before being sent on to town council, where it was approved by a 6-1 vote.

And, since it was written by law enforcement, there was apparently no need to ensure the bylaw didn't violate anyone's rights or would even hold up in court. Because who knows the law better than law enforcement officers? No one, that's who. Just ask any cop.

Holst said no lawyers were involved in the police commission’s review and they didn’t discuss whether aspects of the bylaw would violate the Charter of Rights and Freedoms…

“Exactly how that sits with the Charter, to be 100 per cent honest with you, that discussion did not come up with the commission,” Holst said.

Because screw the public.

Save that 100%, Holst. You're going to need it. Here's an actual legal expert with 45 years experience, and he's of the opinion there's a 100% chance it's in violation.

“It clearly, clearly infringes the Charter,” [Michael] Dietrich said.

And now that the ridiculous bylaw has drawn mockery from around the internet, Holst and other city representatives are shocked and saddened by all the criticism.

“It hurts my heart,” Ken Holst said Tuesday. “I’m hurt today to read some of the extreme comments that have circulated on social media...”

“We really feel this is the best for Taber and makes it a better place, as opposed to ‘the worst place on Earth,’ as the way some people are portraying this,” he said.

Holst further defended his stupid bylaw by pointing to other similarly stupid Canadian towns that have enacted similarly stupid bylaws. Presumably, this belated justification will also not be run by any legal experts -- armchair or actual -- who may point out that two wrongs still don't equal a right, no matter what some informal, police-guided survey might "indicate."

Reality check. This feels like a plot for an episode of South Park. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it actually does become the basis for one, since Trey and Matt love to poke fun at us Canadians and it would really be a shame for them to miss this glaring opportunity.

In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 09:57:03 AM

I would like to see spitting banned, it is littering really, I hate it, it makes me feel sick to see people gobbing all over the street all the time.
Swearing and gathering in groups of 3 or more seems a bit of a stretch, along with the permanent curfew for youths.  I would be surprised if any of the rules stood up in court, so someone will test them out and get them overturned in no time no doubt.
(oYo) (OP)

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 10:43:27 AM

I would like to see spitting banned, it is littering really, I hate it, it makes me feel sick to see people gobbing all over the street all the time.
Swearing and gathering in groups of 3 or more seems a bit of a stretch, along with the permanent curfew for youths.  I would be surprised if any of the rules stood up in court, so someone will test them out and get them overturned in no time no doubt.

Sure, spitting is disgusting and swearing although uncouth is nevertheless protected by freedom of speech, but it's the prohibiting of people gathering in groups of three or more that really floors me about this new bylaw.

shogdite

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

LIR Dev. www.letitride.io

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 10:46:19 AM

Wondering how they could possibly enforce all that, seems like they're criminalizing childhood.

No persons shall, during any period of the day allow, suffer or permit any electronic equipment, musical instruments, vehicles or any other devices to be sounded or used in any area of the Town of Taber, that may, or is likely, to disturb others.

So driving around in your car listening to music has been effectively banned there?

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 11:10:08 AM

No groups of 3 or more? Even churchgoers will be in trouble when they coming out of the church after service Smiley.

Is this surely happening in these days?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 11:29:12 AM

You know, I was going to get angry, but then I realised that this is one of the perfect targets for people on the internet to mock, nothing could be more deserving.
(oYo) (OP)

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 11:43:37 AM
Last edit: March 13, 2015, 12:47:48 PM by (oYo)

You know, I was going to get angry, but then I realised that this is one of the perfect targets for people on the internet to mock, nothing could be more deserving.
Like I said, I REALLY think it would make an awesome South Park episode. In the meantime, the internet is abuzz with a "Save Us Bacon" campaign.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/canada-town-blasted-for-footloose-bylaw-banning-spitting-swearing-shouting--and-gathering-in-groups-larger-than-three-10102695.html

https://medium.com/@savetaberbacon/save-us-bacon-dc15f2c0434a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzjYn406mGc

M83

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 01:20:25 PM

I hardly think this warrants the swastika flag.

Many of these things are already 'banned' in places. Swearing and spitting can get you fines. You can even be arrested for 'disturbing the peace' for swearing in public if its deemed to be disruptive though I'm not a fan of it unless in extreme cases.
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 01:56:45 PM

Haha that's the funniest title I've come across in a long time, nice work!  Cheesy

I really don't see how this could come as a surprise, the more you use control, the more of your 'freedom' you have to give up. And there is no 'them' either, the nature of control is to incorporate into itself everything it encounters.
Humans are such hypocrites, I don't know how they can even look at themselves in the mirror, everything they pride themselves on exist because of control. You can't accept with big smiles all the perks made possible by control and then turn around and fight it as if you're the most innocent of victims. If this sort of development scares/disgusts you, you'd better brace yourself, a whole different level of worst is headed this way  Cheesy
(oYo) (OP)

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 04:53:16 PM

I hardly think this warrants the swastika flag.
It's not the 'Nazi flag', but the Canadian flag with a swastika instead of the maple leaf. Sure it's OTT, just like banning people from gathering in groups.

Haha that's the funniest title I've come across in a long time, nice work!  Cheesy

I really don't see how this could come as a surprise, the more you use control, the more of your 'freedom' you have to give up. And there is no 'them' either, the nature of control is to incorporate into itself everything it encounters.
Humans are such hypocrites, I don't know how they can even look at themselves in the mirror, everything they pride themselves on exist because of control. You can't accept with big smiles all the perks made possible by control and then turn around and fight it as if you're the most innocent of victims. If this sort of development scares/disgusts you, you'd better brace yourself, a whole different level of worst is headed this way  Cheesy

Not my work. It's the title of the article.

It saddens me how people can greet this 'Brave New World' with such delight.

BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 04:58:48 PM

pillage and plunders the land my cronies, it's clear, they can't resist... what they said. me  Cry , they don't understand nature. because it's natural, and they wouldn't have a job, but would have to find their nature.

money is faster...
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 04:59:33 PM

Well, spitting is disgusting so fuck them, someone else has to clean all that shit but people dont seem to care about it. If they know they can get finned they'll think about it twice.
BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 05:01:11 PM

Well, spitting is disgusting so fuck them, someone else has to clean all that shit but people dont seem to care about it. If they know they can get finned they'll think about it twice.

don't walk in your home with the same shoes you go outside.

money is faster...
ObscureBean
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 05:41:27 AM

Well... you either didn't understand my comment or you chose not to understand it. I'm talking about taking responsibility for the 'Brave New World' you helped create along with everyone else, delight has got nothing to do with it.
If you prefer to sleep on a nice comfy bed and have internet instead of sleeping on dirt in some cave, that's perfectly understandable but you should accept the consequences of your choices and not be double-faced about them. If you think you can use control just to get the nice things while leaving out all the lame ones, then my friend you are more naive than the ant you walked on before going to bed.
There is always a way out but it's not a pretty one and it does not involve banding together to 'fight the system'.
(oYo) (OP)

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 06:26:02 AM

Well... you either didn't understand my comment or you chose not to understand it. I'm talking about taking responsibility for the 'Brave New World' you helped create along with everyone else, delight has got nothing to do with it.
If you prefer to sleep on a nice comfy bed and have internet instead of sleeping on dirt in some cave, that's perfectly understandable but you should accept the consequences of your choices and not be double-faced about them. If you think you can use control just to get the nice things while leaving out all the lame ones, then my friend you are more naive than the ant you walked on before going to bed.
There is always a way out but it's not a pretty one and it does not involve banding together to 'fight the system'.

I just disagree. I believe that, by using a little common sense and discretion, there's no need to go overboard in either direction. You're taking the position that to have any control you must accept all control, otherwise to limit control you must essentially rid yourself of control entirely. That is like saying, you must "throw the baby out with the bath water", if you don't like dirty bath water. There is a such thing as a line and crossing it. Do you drive your car with either the gas full throttle or the brakes full on? I doubt it. I'm sure you use moderation (based mainly on common sense) when considering what speed to drive according to your whereabouts and driving conditions. Without speed limits and stop signs you wouldn't automatically drive like a maniac either, just because no limits have been externally imposed upon you, unless you're just being foolish or reckless. Let's not support idiocy or fascism by making ridiculous, nonsensical rules for every little thing.

ObscureBean
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 07:11:01 AM

I just disagree. I believe that, by using a little common sense and discretion, there's no need to go overboard in either direction. You're taking the position that to have any control you must accept all control, otherwise to limit control you must essentially rid yourself of control entirely. That is like saying, you must "throw the baby out with the bath water", if you don't like dirty bath water. There is a such thing as a line and crossing it. Do you drive your car with either the gas full throttle or the brakes full on? I doubt it. I'm sure you use moderation (based mainly on common sense) when considering what speed to drive according to your whereabouts and driving conditions. Without speed limits and stop signs you wouldn't automatically drive like a maniac either, just because no limits have been externally imposed upon you, unless you're just being foolish or reckless. Let's not support idiocy or fascism by making ridiculous, nonsensical rules for every little thing.

Don't you see the flaw in your reasoning? Common sense according to whom? Who's this perfect being that will give you a perfect definition for 'common sense' or tell you when enough is enough? Common sense has always been and will always be relative, the world as it is now is where 'common sense' leads to. Every leader in the history of mankind have operated according to what common sense is to them.
The 'balance' you describe here is what humans have been seeking since the dawn of man, take a look at the world can't you tell if we're nearly there?
This concept of "no need to go overboard in either direction" only exists in dreams my friend, it's what 'good' people keep telling themselves to take the edge off the pressure from guilt that keeps building day in day out.
EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 10:04:23 AM
Last edit: March 14, 2015, 10:19:09 AM by EternalWingsofGod

Paging Kevin Bacon Paging Kevin Bacon everyone needs to calm down and get footloose Smiley

Bring back the color to the town of Taber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzjYn406mGc
http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/concerned-citizens-beg-kevin-bacon-to-dance-away-alberta-town-s-footloose-ban-1.2991105
https://twitter.com/SaveUsBacon

In case someone wanted to get that reference video XD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA-FVFuuuX4

_
I do hope they launch a kickstarter campaign to have Kevin Bacon dance Footlose just outside the Towns limits
It would be one epic dance party for the ages

(oYo) (OP)

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 11:28:05 AM

Don't you see the flaw in your reasoning? Common sense according to whom? Who's this perfect being that will give you a perfect definition for 'common sense' or tell you when enough is enough? Common sense has always been and will always be relative, the world as it is now is where 'common sense' leads to. Every leader in the history of mankind have operated according to what common sense is to them.
The 'balance' you describe here is what humans have been seeking since the dawn of man, take a look at the world can't you tell if we're nearly there?
This concept of "no need to go overboard in either direction" only exists in dreams my friend, it's what 'good' people keep telling themselves to take the edge off the pressure from guilt that keeps building day in day out.

Common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by ("common to") nearly all people, and can be reasonably expected of nearly all people without any need for debate.

Unfortunately, people in positions of authority are all too often influenced by a number of things that may contradict common sense. Money and power being the most common.

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 11:20:41 PM

They could just overuse the disturbing the peace statute rather than micromanaging and creating more laws even further. Increasingly totalitarian societies don't like people hanging out in groups to spread the word about things outside of what the sanctioned media is able to spread.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 02:48:58 AM

I take serious offense to this image.

The swastika should be in red.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
guruton

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 02:50:51 AM

maybe licking boobs is good to be banned too   Grin
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 02:54:18 AM

I suspect none of these bylaws would hold up against a Charter challenge so the whole thing is kind of moot. Bad vibes, tho Angry

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
(oYo) (OP)

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 03:21:32 AM

They could just overuse the disturbing the peace statute rather than micromanaging and creating more laws even further. Increasingly totalitarian societies don't like people hanging out in groups to spread the word about things outside of what the sanctioned media is able to spread.

I completely agree. There's laws already that cover this stuff, they just decided to go full retard.

Indeed, but I only found two images and the one I preferred (with a red swastika) wouldn't load.  Sad

maybe licking boobs is good to be banned too   Grin

Don't even kid about that. You take that back!  Angry

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: