Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:21:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why we need Bitcoins for international transactions  (Read 8752 times)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 12:36:19 PM

HSBC officially stated that they do not want to see anything related close or far to bitcoin, and kicked out. We asked if it'd be possible to get back in and got politely told that it wouldn't happen anytime soon.

Are Bitcoins illegal in at least one of the countries you sent/received payments from on your HSBC account?
If not, is such discrimination on the part of HSBC legal? I'd sue them if something like this happened to me.
How is that discrimination? Bitcoin is not a race, creed, etc.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 12:50:30 PM

HSBC officially stated that they do not want to see anything related close or far to bitcoin, and kicked out. We asked if it'd be possible to get back in and got politely told that it wouldn't happen anytime soon.

Are Bitcoins illegal in at least one of the countries you sent/received payments from on your HSBC account?
If not, is such discrimination on the part of HSBC legal? I'd sue them if something like this happened to me.
How is that discrimination? Bitcoin is not a race, creed, etc.

Yeah, is outright competition  Smiley

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 12:53:42 PM

HSBC has MUCH BIGGER problems with highly regulated fiat since their Mexican and US affiliates have been laundering Billions of Dollars of Drug Money for years and many other affiliates have been doing illegal business with IRAN.  They are facing serious sanctions and potentially billion dollar fines.  The last thing they need right now is to deal an unregulated instrument like bitcoin.

From the Financial Timeshttp://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ace83b9a-e6fc-11e1-af33-00144feab49a.html#axzz23iH512MC

Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 01:59:08 PM

I have sent international transfers into Gox through both your HSBC and Sumitomo bank accounts, and I have found that Sumotimo/Sumitomo's intermediate bank almost always takes a very large cut in processing and conversion fees - between 4% - 10%. I am sure I am not the only person this has happened to. By comparison, HSBC have always been extremely cheap (less than 1%).

MagicalTux can you please get your HSBC account reinstated, it would save a lot of bitcoiners a lot of money. I would much rather my money go towards supporting the bitcoin price than supporting Sumitomo's bottom line.

Hi,

The intermediate bank depends on your own bank, not the receiving bank. Also there should be no conversion fees, unless your bank messes up something. The only fee that should appear in a perfect world (ie. for example when sending from a major US bank) is our reception fee of ¥1000.

Mark

Thanks for the response MagicalTux. That is interesting news about HSBC. If HSBC have indeed sworn off bitcoin, would you consider opening an extra bank account with another more bitcoin-friendly bank? Having only one bank account for accepting international wire transfers seems a bit precarious to me - what if sumitomo decided to take the same line as HSBC? Also, I think it would help in alleviating the large international wire transfer and conversion fees that many of us are experiencing. Just a suggestion.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 10:13:19 AM

"Hey, in Japan they only have JPY, and my local intermediary in Japan can process this wire as a domestic transfer for only USD 10. Let's convert the amount to JPY, and take 3000 JPY fee for the whole process!"

That must be what happened here:

I asked my big bank to wire a hundred dollars to the bank MtGox suggested which is in Japan. Well, my bank cannot send dollars to Japan, only yen. And since I requested dollars, they had first transfer the money to JPMorgan, a bank that can transfer dollars.

- http://blog.archive.org/2012/12/19/i-donated-bitcoins-to-the-internet-archive/

What "big bank" cannot send an International bank wire transfer in USDs?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 11:24:51 AM

Funny, I just recently read this article about HSBC:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog/outrageous-hsbc-settlement-proves-the-drug-war-is-a-joke-20121213

So apparently, money laundering for HSBC is allowed because otherwise the financial system would collapse  Grin 

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: